Best small Caribbean island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allan, am I reading you correctly? Are you defending the Dominica diving from your experience in 1978?!?!
Haha No my experience from all of last year. I was saying that I'm sure that the diving in Florida was better in 78, 6 years before I was born, before it was over dived.

:) Thx for the explanation. Guess Dominica is back on my list.

I guess I should have submitted a resume before commenting on my experience in Dominica. South Florida from early 70's to 1980. Key Largo in 1978, 2010, and 2011. Belize 2010. Jamaica 2001. Cozumel 2012. Grand Cayman and Little Cayman 2011.

Dominica was worse than any of the above at any time. Even Jamaica.

You can fly direct to St Martens. Take a cheap Sunwing package and simple do not stay at the hotel, hop over to Saba. You can get week packages for $695

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

Are you not getting mixed up with Dominican Republic? Because Dominica is a fantastic island to visit.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

I'll also chime in for Saba. My wife and I went there first in 2007 and found the diving fantastic and the dive operation we used (Sea Saba) the best. We ended up going back for the people; the Sabans are so friendly and really make you welcome. There are 3 dive operations and several surprisingly good restaurants. And the hiking is very good and you can experience several microclimates on such a small island. We ended up buying a cottage there a couple of years ago.

You might want to consider Grand Turk in the T&C. The island is small with beautiful diving. I took my teenage son for a week of diving last. We stayed at the Bohio dive resort. We had wonderful food and terrific dive master. It's reasonably easy to get to from Canada.

I saw Kay's response to SVG. Good reefs around Tobago Cays and some good dive operations too. It can get busy around the Cays with all the day trippers and Yachts though.

Have you thought about Carriacou? Its the last (and largest) of the Grenadines chain of islands and is part of Grenada (with Petite Martinique). The direct translation of Carriacou from Carib Indian is 'land of (many) reefs' and this is a great way to describe our little gem. I moved here last year because of the diving and have been fortunate enough to see almost all that this island has to offer. Its small (13sq miles), off the beaten track, and tourism is not the main industry. The place is very friendly and peaceful and has a great community feel to it. There are three dive centres on the island and over 30 registered dive sites. Most of them are reef dives within the marine protected area. We're running a program with Caribsave (conservation charity) and our latest information shows that we have the highest level of fish biomass anywhere in the Eastern Caribbean, which is why we have such an abundance of amazing marine life, live coral and amazing diving.

Getting here is a short hop from Grenada and it is a totally chilled out and relaxed place. If you're looking for 5* resorts, this is not the place. If you're looking for warm, welcoming, relaxation with some great diving I would argue there are few better places in the Caribbean.

Gary

Thanks for the frank eval Pedro. I recall Jamaica as trapping and destroying their reefs and am sad that Dominica, which was on my bucket list, is in the same category.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom