Best small Caribbean island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband & I are interested in diving in St. Vincent and the Grenadine, but not sure of the best dive operation to book our trip with.
Do you know of a dive operation and accommodation that you would recommend on St. Vincent? Also we are looking into Bequia, Canouan, and
Union Island. Would like any information that you could give to us. Thanks

I was in Dominica in November, 2012. I haven't written a trip report because I've been struggling with what to write. Dominica is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been ... on land. The government recognizes that they have a valuable asset and protect it. There are 14 connected trails that run south to north. Volcanoes, a boiling lake, waterfalls, it's all just incredible.

Unfortunately, I went there to dive and while it was better than diving in the nearby quarry, it was the worst salt water diving I have ever experienced.

There were fish traps everywhere. Many abandoned and full of dead fish. The locals are very poor and they have no respect for the sea or what lives there. I saw piles of trash that they just dump into the water. They drag nets between two boats and take everything, breaking the coral and everything else in the path of the nets. Most of the fish I saw were three inches or smaller except for the lionfish, lots of lionfish.

Instead of mentioning what I saw, I'll mention what I did not see: no turtles, sharks, groupers, jacks, barracudas, angels or parrotfish.

I heard that the Japanese were dragging the large commercial nets a few miles off the shore and taking everything they could catch. I gave up after five dives and concentrated on the land. The interesting thing was the Chinese were involved in construction and government in Dominica. They were building the presidential palace and doing the road work. There was lots of roadwork between Portsmouth and Roseau and most of the crew were Chinese, not people from Dominica.

I would not recommend diving in Dominica. Ever.

Wow Pedro. You may have just saved me a journey. :^(

Consider St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Getting to SVG is easy if you don't mind a hop via Barbados (LIAT, Air Mustique and SVG Air provide service from Barbados).

SVG is made up of 32 islands, St. Vincent being the largest with over 25 miles of leeward coast and only 2 dive shops), the inhabited islands of Bequia (2 dive shops), Mustique, Canouan and Union Island (1 dive shop each) also have some great diving, and are accessible by local ferry from the main land or twin props from Barbados or St. Vincent.

Accommodation on each of the islands varies from very high end, to small beach front family owned hotels, and self catering apartments.

The best diving is to be found in St. Vincent, primarily due to the volcanic nature of the geology and very well protected leeward coast, I would liken it (for the most part) to diving in an aquarium. A huge variety of fish species, over 250 in the last REEF survey, diverse critter population, pristine reefs of hard and soft corals with some pretty wrecks and stunning wall dives (especially in the north leeward) make this island an touched treasure.

Bequia may be best suited to your needs as there is a wide selection of rental properties within walking distance of the 2 dive shops. The diving in Bequia can be a little more challenging as the island is much smaller than the main land, and it does not have a distinct leeward coast, however it more than makes up for this with some very pretty drift dives. If you would like to see bigger pelagics during your visit, Bequia is the place.

Union Island is your gateway to the Tobago Cays, a marine park made up of uninhabited islands, which featured in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie - Captain Jack was marooned here! Mayreau Gardens in the Tobago Cays is one of the prettiest drift dives ever.

SVG is not the most easy destination to reach, however if you want world class diving, tiny dive groups usually (2 to 4 divers per boat) and an off the beaten track dive vacation I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Beat me to it Kay!

---------- Post added January 24th, 2013 at 05:04 PM ----------

I was in Dominica in November, 2012. I haven't written a trip report because I've been struggling with what to write. Dominica is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been ... on land. The government recognizes that they have a valuable asset and protect it. There are 14 connected trails that run south to north. Volcanoes, a boiling lake, waterfalls, it's all just incredible.

Unfortunately, I went there to dive and while it was better than diving in the nearby quarry, it was the worst salt water diving I have ever experienced.

There were fish traps everywhere. Many abandoned and full of dead fish. The locals are very poor and they have no respect for the sea or what lives there. I saw piles of trash that they just dump into the water. They drag nets between two boats and take everything, breaking the coral and everything else in the path of the nets. Most of the fish I saw were three inches or smaller except for the lionfish, lots of lionfish.

Instead of mentioning what I saw, I'll mention what I did not see: no turtles, sharks, groupers, jacks, barracudas, angels or parrotfish.

I heard that the Japanese were dragging the large commercial nets a few miles off the shore and taking everything they could catch. I gave up after five dives and concentrated on the land. The interesting thing was the Chinese were involved in construction and government in Dominica. They were building the presidential palace and doing the road work. There was lots of roadwork between Portsmouth and Roseau and most of the crew were Chinese, not people from Dominica.

I would not recommend diving in Dominica. Ever.

Sad but true depending one where you go. I lived there for a year and I can promise you there is amazing diving Just have to know where to go. I prefer the Northern End of the Island. Check out Island Dive opps or Cabrits Dive center. Ps. If you talk to the Dive Opps guys or Al Dive you might be able to get an Atlantic dive in. Which is awesome but weather dependent.

Sad but true depending one where you go. I lived there for a year and I can promise you there is amazing diving Just have to know where to go. I prefer the Northern End of the Island. Check out Island Dive opps or Cabrits Dive center. Ps. If you talk to the Dive Opps guys or Al Dive you might be able to get an Atlantic dive in. Which is awesome but weather dependent.

I was in the northern end of Dominica - Toucari Caves, Tube Reef, Bell's Hall and Pole to Pole - and I dove with Cabrits Dive Center. I've been hesitant to post anything because the dive shop is excellent. Kenny, Don and NickRoy are real professionals. The compressor room was clean, the fill room uncluttered and the air fills were CO free. DandyDon convinced me to test every cylinder I could so I did.

All the dives were shore dives because the Cabrits dive boat sank the day before I arrived. Not for the first time either.

All Friends of mine. Well I guess not having Bottom Time in the water blew it for you. Turcari which I love is subject to the old drag net. But right around the corner is Secret Arch reef and Tube Reef both great dives. Also I sounds like you missed out on all of the national park for which Cabrits takes it's name. Some great dives around the Fort but you need a boat or a love to hike with you Kit on! Point round to the south Is also quit good seen my share of turtles over there. Sharks well yeah we Don't have them down here in St Vincent ether they have been fished out all over the Caribbean. But barracuda are all over especial on deeper dives. Speaking of deep Did you get a chance to shore dive Hot sofia while in Picard? Huge southern sting rays all over the hot Vents. Any way I would be the first to say that Dominica needs work but worst salt water diving? Ever been to Florida???

All Friends of mine. Well I guess not having Bottom Time in the water blew it for you. Turcari which I love is subject to the old drag net. But right around the corner is Secret Arch reef and Tube Reef both great dives. Also I sounds like you missed out on all of the national park for which Cabrits takes it's name. Some great dives around the Fort but you need a boat or a love to hike with you Kit on! Point round to the south Is also quit good seen my share of turtles over there. Sharks well yeah we Don't have them down here in St Vincent ether they have been fished out all over the Caribbean. But barracuda are all over especial on deeper dives. Speaking of deep Did you get a chance to shore dive Hot sofia while in Picard? Huge southern sting rays all over the hot Vents. Any way I would be the first to say that Dominica needs work but worst salt water diving? Ever been to Florida???

Yes, three of my dives were in Cabrits National Park. It was full of fish traps. You could see the white Clorox bottles attached to fish traps bobbing all the way out to the horizon.

I was raised in Hallandale, Florida and did my first dives in Key Largo with Ocean Divers in 1978. Dominica, at least the dives I did, is far worse than Florida.

Ever been to Florida???

Dry Tortugas has one of the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean with healthy populations of Black, Red, Goliath, and gag grouper, plenty of sharks to go 'round, and a stunning variety of healthy corals. I don't know where you were in Florida, it has a long coast, with hundreds of wrecks, both real and diver safe, the 3rd longest barrier reef in the world, and arguably a healthier fish population than anywhere in the Caribbean. All because we take care of it by legislation as well as personal habits. I can't even count how many sewage outflow pipes on small caribbean islands there are.

Well Fish Traps aside I think most of the diving in 1978 was better. I spent a lot of my time there free diving the fish traps and sabotaging them. However I Doubt they were to the horizon as the bottom drops off to a few miles deep half a kilometer off shore.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Dry Tortugas has one of the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean with healthy populations of Black, Red, Goliath, and gag grouper, plenty of sharks to go 'round, and a stunning variety of healthy corals. I don't know where you were in Florida, it has a long coast, with hundreds of wrecks, both real and diver safe, the 3rd longest barrier reef in the world, and arguably a healthier fish population than anywhere in the Caribbean. All because we take care of it by legislation as well as personal habits. I can't even count how many sewage outflow pipes on small caribbean islands there are.

I was in largo. No viz well overdived reef on a cattle boat. Maybe got a bad impression. Might be getting a bit emotional here So I apologize in advance I dove Dominica for a year, 100+ dives there and saw some really cool ****. I'm sure Florida is the same. However the Dominican government just had to get Bailed out by the IMF. So there is loads of regulations but non are enforced because there are not enough tourist coming and paying park fees. The coast guard only has one boat which spends all its time chasing Drug boats and dose not seem to care about Illegal Fishing Methods(Spearfishing for example is Illegal yet drive down the road and you will see 20 locals with big Trigger guns). So if you want to save an amazing little peace of the world see some of the most beautiful vistas in the Caribbean and rest assured no one will be able to pronounce you vacation destination's name go Dive Dominica. If you want to go to largo and spend you surface time staring at a flat Highway be my guest.

Allan, am I reading you correctly? Are you defending the Dominica diving from your experience in 1978?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom