Best small Caribbean island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting note on the whaling and the islands influenced in the Caribbean...Dominica advertises great whale watching and snorkeling with sperm whales. It is said there is a friendly resident population there. I would love to snorkel with those creatures. With respect to the Caymans, my vote goes to Little Cayman (along with BDSC). I guess we all have our favorites for one reason or another and often it can simply be easy flights. I have avoided some beautiful Caribbean spots simply because of real poor flight connections. Who wants to spend a good part of their trip in an airport. Now we go to the Caymans rather than Utila and Bay Islands because there are few biting bugs (plus lots of other reasons too).

We wanted to go to Little Cayman this year but ran into issues with our 11yr old junior diver. Since our Brac trip was almost a bust (posted elsewhere) I made sure to ask the ops on LC. We were staying on the Brac and read a copy of " So You Want To Live On An Island" by Gay Morse, owner of Pirates Point. This got our interest in LC. She was ok about his age but since we stay at villas we might not be able to dive if they were full. Emailed Bill at Conch Club and on the third email (all within 4hrs) I brought up our son and Bill put me on ignore.... There was Reef divers but we had a huge problem with them over on the Brac so that was that. Hopefully will be able to get to LC from the Brac this Aug. So this years trips will be the same as last year but will stay in Salt Cay, no splitting.

Thanks for the abaco forum tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You will find a world of difference (positive) between Reef Divers on Brac and on Little Cayman. I had an issue with my wife's C-card on our last trip to Brac and with 130 dives under her weight belt, they were not going to let her dive. We ultimately got her to dive, but.... needless to say we never had the same issue on Little Cayman. Little Cayman will take external divers if the resort is not full by they reasonably give preference to those staying at the resort unless you may be staying the condos under their booking management.

There is another dive operation now open on The Brac "Brac Scuba Shack" Cayman Brac Diving with Brac Scuba Shack and cater to smaller groups. It is run by Martin and Liesel a couple that has a long standing on the Island and very knowledgeable about the local diving. Definitely an option worth checking out.

Martin saved our dive trip last Aug when we had issues over at Reef Divers. Sure built himself a fancy dive op with brand new equipment! Looking forward to trying out the new dive boat this Aug. hope no hurricanes come anywhere close this year!

In response to sffrenchman I am heartened by Wookies understanding of the fisheries situation in the Eastern Caribbean. These small islands states receive considerable funding from Japan, under the guise of supporting indigenous fishing. Of course the real reason in the position on whaling. The Eastern Caribbean nations are then slated for their perceived support of a return to whaling. This is turn decreases tourism income, and increases the reliance on money from Japan... an ever decreasing circle which can only be stopped by education and understanding.

Tourism income, especially during this current economic crisis is desperately needed by these communities, and the best way to support the islands is to keep bring foreign currency. Whilst on island talk to the local people, you'll find the the vast majority would much rather support non-whaling.

This is an interesting discussion, I do respect others' opinion on this matter, and I am not averse to changing my position based on further discussions and arguments. I thought that I would provide a little more details on where I currently stand on this matter.

As with everything else in life, actions have consequences. Surely, before accepting Japan's government money in exchange for their vote at the IWC, these governments must have considered all sides, including the damage that this could potentially create to their standing in the international community and potential negative impact on tourism or other economic activities. After all, whaling is not a cryptic issue that is not receiving any media attention.

Individuals make decisions every day based on issues that they feel strongly about. This translates at the ballot box in democratic countries, or through the use of their economic power. This is evident from when people choose to not support a particular corporation, state, or nation because they do not agree with some of their policies or what they stand for. There are numerous examples of this in history; in some cases, such actions have worked and in some cases they have not.

There are a number of issues that I particularly care about, and whaling is one of them (among many others related to the health of the marine environment). Given the choice, I will rather take my business to countries that do not support whaling, and these countries need the tourism business just as much as the nations we are talking about. I recognize that not everyone necessarily agrees with all their government policies, but I do believe that education is not sufficient, and that economic pressure will in turn force the population to apply pressure on said governments to change their policies. Of course, if these governments were not elected democratically, this would be a very different story, but from my limited Wikipedia search, it appears that these caribbean nations are either parliamentary democracies, or at least have some kind of elected representation.

One interesting point mentioned by Wookie ("
My cousin is a fish buyer, and he can't get his foot in the door")
is that Japan has actually cornered the fishing industry in these countries, preventing other to do business. Therefore, it seems to me that the business brought in by Japan could possibly be replaced by business brought in by other countries. So, I do not believe that there aren't any other alternatives available.

In the end, nations make decisions that they believe are in their best interest, and they need to consider carefully all consequences of such decisions. It may be unfair to their people, but again, most of these governments were elected by the people, and therefore must take some level of responsibility for their government's action.

If readers feel that this thread is starting to deviate too much from the initial OP's question, feel free to report it to a moderator so that a separate thread can be created.

I don't mind, it's just a shame that your intelligent answers/ opinions are not going to be widely read on this travel sub forum.

One interesting point mentioned by Wookie ("
My cousin is a fish buyer, and he can't get his foot in the door")
is that Japan has actually cornered the fishing industry in these countries, preventing other to do business. Therefore, it seems to me that the business brought in by Japan could possibly be replaced by business brought in by other countries. So, I do not believe that there aren't any other alternatives available.

In the end, nations make decisions that they believe are in their best interest, and they need to consider carefully all consequences of such decisions. It may be unfair to their people, but again, most of these governments were elected by the people, and therefore must take some level of responsibility for their government's action.

If readers feel that this thread is starting to deviate too much from the initial OP's question, feel free to report it to a moderator so that a separate thread can be created.

As long as Mikey doesn't mind, It's a good discussion and here is as good a place as any to have it.

I know a little bit about it, because I was a resort instructor in St. Lucia when they built the fish-house there. St. Lucia had been a subsistence fishing island when the Japanese showed up, but you have to understand that fishing is a volume business. No one is going to ship a half-full freezer box (it actually goes out by plane) from St. wherever to Japan every day ("fresh"), and all of the Japanese are now there offering stupid money for octopus and reef snapper and whatever, so the fisherman who has never made more than feed his family for the day is now sing visions of F-150's and Monte Carlo's in his future if he can just bring in more fish. The easy answer is trapping, because trapping kills everything that happens to swim into the trap. A few enlightened islands have banned trapping. Unfortunately, St. Lucia wasn't one of them, and when I was there, the trapping was cranking. Folks would take their pissy little boats to the back side of the island where pissy little boats don't belong.

The presence of the Japanese does 3 things. It buys a vote for whaling, it makes fishermen beholden to the "company store" where they enter into agreements even their kids will never get out of, and they encourage local islands to destroy their fish populations (and diving tourism) to feed some hungry folks back in Japan. Since they've bought the government of these little places, they are harder than a deer tick to remove.

My Cousin Mikey travels the world looking for sustainable fishing practices so he can pay top dollar for fish to send back to America for hungry folks to eat. I taught him to dive and took him to some islands where fishing is done sustainably and where it isn't, and the difference of the fish populations on the reef. By the way, cousin Mikey's dad, uncle Ben, was a commercial fisherman for many many years, and I was a deckhand on the boat growing up. I fished the cod stocks in Maine to commercial extinction, so I know a little about overfishing and it's effects, too. Anyway, Mikey not only can't buy in the Windward and leeward islands, he also can't because of their fishing practices. trapping just isn't sustainable. Many South American governments, surprisingly, do have sustainable fishing laws on the books and he buys a lot from there. Southeast Asia is a place where lots of handlining and no fish traps also is the way of life.

Saw the fish traps when we got certified in Barbados in 2012, very depressing. Also explains why the 2 fun dives we got in weren't exactly what we had in mind when we took up this hobby. Won't be ever going back there. I must note that before we went someone on Barbados forum posted a "wonderful" utube clip of a fisherman on the beach. He throws his net out and soon empties its contents on the beach. I think the biggest was no more than 2" long. I just thought it was a bad video at worst and nobody said anything. Now I would have said something but most people are oblivious to the destruction. Won't be that many places left for my son to dive when he gets older.

Saw the fish traps when we got certified in Barbados in 2012, very depressing. Also explains why the 2 fun dives we got in weren't exactly what we had in mind when we took up this hobby. Won't be ever going back there. I must note that before we went someone on Barbados forum posted a "wonderful" utube clip of a fisherman on the beach. He throws his net out and soon empties its contents on the beach. I think the biggest was no more than 2" long. I just thought it was a bad video at worst and nobody said anything. Now I would have said something but most people are oblivious to the destruction. Won't be that many places left for my son to dive when he gets older.

You might be surprised. Cuba has 24% of their coastline protected from fishing, more than any other country in the world. That's a lot of why Florida has a relatively healthy fish population. Bahamas doesn't trap, not spear on scuba. They used to export conch, but that wasn't done correctly, now they don't have enough for dinner, much less export. Florida has very good protections in place to protect spawning fish. St. Lucia now has fishery zones, some places where fishing is allowed by net, trap, whatever, some where no fishing or diving is allowed, and some where diving only is allowed. It is a good plan, although the size of the zones is not big enough, at least they are trying. Pot fishing is not allowed in Grenada, Cayman, and a few other enlightened places. I see hope, not continued devestation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom