Best small Caribbean island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case it matters to you and I recognize that it may not,
Antigua, Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, and St. Kitts-Nevis governments have been supporting the resumption of commercial
whaling at the International Whaling Commission.

Antigua, Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, and St. Kitts-Nevis governments have been supporting the resumption of commercial

Technically true. The Japanese own the fish houses there, so if those countries want to sell any fish, they will sell to the Japanese. The Japanese want to go whaling. They weild a big stick on those islands. Grenada exports more conch than any other place in the world, all through Japanese fish houses. My cousin is a fish buyer, and he can't get his foot in the door. Those small Caribbean islands support a return to whaling because they have to, not because they want to.

There is great diving on St Croix with boat and shore dives. The operator I use most frequently is St Croix Ultimate Blue Water Experience (SCUBA). Any flight to San Juan puts you a commuter flight away. There is direct from Boston, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

No surprise there. I think the movie "The Cove" covered Japan's vote buying at the Whaling commission. New Years day 2009 we were in a small village in St Lucia (Anse la Raye). There was construction boarding up the waterfront and what struck me was the financing for the new fish market/docks was from Japan. Japan? Wasn't until I (not my wife) watched "The Cove" and it made sense. Why Japan is still gung-ho about whaling is beyond me. I can't imagine that the majority of the populace in Japan supports this but I bet it's a small politically active group of fisherman pushing their agenda. We have a similar dilemma in Canada over the seal hunt. It's costing us our reputation in Europe for at most a few hundred fisherman that produces a few million dollars worth of economic activity. In reality even not counting lost trade in Europe, the fact is the fisherman regularly have to call on the navy/coast guard to rescue them at a cost of millions. Lose/lose/lose but we hate it when "those" Europeans tell us what to do. So nothing changes. Would be cheaper to simply pay those fisherman to stay home.

My wife found a house on Guana Cay but there sure was a lack of info on tripadvisor and 1 review on the dive shop. not feeling diving there.

Try abacoforum.com for info on Great Guana Cay. The reason there's not much on Trip Advisor is because no one really bothers with it since you can get so much more, accurate, boots on the ground info from abacoforum.com. And Troy Albury of Dive Guana is one of the nicest and most passionate people you could ever meet. We didn't dive there but went to the Fowl Cay marine park with him twice and the divers on the boat said the diving there was better then the Caymans (not sure where but it's what they said). GGC was nice because we could just take our rented golf cart around and jump in and snorkel from shore just about anywhere. We stayed on the south end of the island past Orchid Bay. Marsh Harbour is easy to get to from FL (many direct flights from Toronto) and from there you take a 30 minute ferry to Great Guana Cay.

We fell in love with Salt Cay last year too! Had an amazing half hour in water experience with a humpback and her calf. Truly amazing. And I love the feel of that island as well.

One place that we have talked about going to is San Salvadore in the Bahamas. There is a Club Med and an independent hotel/dive operator and that's about it.

We've done Cayman Brac (Aug) .......Anyone found a small island with 1-2 dive shops (important), easyish to fly to and great diving? Prefer not to have any dive resorts as we like to stay in our own rental house.

I know you have been to Cayman Brac but if you liked that you would love Little Cayman even more. The island is about a mile wide and maybe 10 miles long or so. Last I remembered, there were 100 or so permanent residents on the island. Could be more now. I'm not sure about stand alone homes to rent but I know there are a couple of condo complexes to rent and chances are you could be the only ones there as most folks stay at one of the dive resorts. One of the condos is a few minutes walk to the Little Cayman Beach Resort so you could purchase a meal plan from them, all meals or a combo or meals, and also dive with them but still be somewhat secluded. Reasonably easy to get to with a trip to GC and then the puddle jumper over to LC. The diving around LC is without a doubt the best I've done in the Caribbean.

BDSC is right. Little Cayman offers better diving than Cayman Brac. Not a lot of "local Island vibe" , but still a must do on a dive bucket list. I'd stay at Little Cayman Beach Resort (3 dive a day package) or Pirates Point (if 2 dives a day are sufficient). The condos are nice if you get a meal plan at LCBR, but the island store has minimal food choices.

Last edited:
Technically true. The Japanese own the fish houses there, so if those countries want to sell any fish, they will sell to the Japanese. The Japanese want to go whaling. They weild a big stick on those islands. Grenada exports more conch than any other place in the world, all through Japanese fish houses. My cousin is a fish buyer, and he can't get his foot in the door. Those small Caribbean islands support a return to whaling because they have to, not because they want to.

In response to sffrenchman I am heartened by Wookies understanding of the fisheries situation in the Eastern Caribbean. These small islands states receive considerable funding from Japan, under the guise of supporting indigenous fishing. Of course the real reason in the position on whaling. The Eastern Caribbean nations are then slated for their perceived support of a return to whaling. This is turn decreases tourism income, and increases the reliance on money from Japan... an ever decreasing circle which can only be stopped by education and understanding.

Tourism income, especially during this current economic crisis is desperately needed by these communities, and the best way to support the islands is to keep bring foreign currency. Whilst on island talk to the local people, you'll find the the vast majority would much rather support non-whaling.

We stayed at Paradise Villas in Little Cayman. There is a restaurant onsite, but you also have limited kitchenette facilities if you want to make a light meal. Right beside the airport and on the other side is a little "mall" with a grocery store. The diving here is organized via Conch Club Divers. They pick you up each morning and transport to their boat which at the same dock as LCBR. Really friendly dive crew. Was saddened to hear that Ann passed away a year or so ago. She was really great.
Definitely doesn't have that island vibe atmosphere like Salt Cay, but as others have mentioned, the wall here is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom