Best small Caribbean island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeycanuk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We've done Cayman Brac (Aug) as well as falling in love with Salt Cay T&C (got back 2 weeks ago) So will be repeating those 2 in 2013

Looking for something very similar for an Aug 2014 trip, yes it's a while away but it's freezing here. The rush I get from trip planning once a trip is over is something I need to get through cold bleak winter months. It's nice we've found places to go back to and the Brac is nice but it totally lacks the community feel of Salt Cay, it's too big!

Anyone found a small island with 1-2 dive shops (important), easyish to fly to and great diving? Prefer not to have any dive resorts as we like to stay in our own rental house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Don't overlook Grenada. The diving is very nice, the island is awesome, and the university there means there is a plethora of homes to rent. With reefs and wrecks and big and small fish, Grenada is easy to get to from Miami. It isn't particularly small, but it's lots smaller than Toronto.

Consider St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Getting to SVG is easy if you don't mind a hop via Barbados (LIAT, Air Mustique and SVG Air provide service from Barbados).

SVG is made up of 32 islands, St. Vincent being the largest with over 25 miles of leeward coast and only 2 dive shops), the inhabited islands of Bequia (2 dive shops), Mustique, Canouan and Union Island (1 dive shop each) also have some great diving, and are accessible by local ferry from the main land or twin props from Barbados or St. Vincent.

Accommodation on each of the islands varies from very high end, to small beach front family owned hotels, and self catering apartments.

The best diving is to be found in St. Vincent, primarily due to the volcanic nature of the geology and very well protected leeward coast, I would liken it (for the most part) to diving in an aquarium. A huge variety of fish species, over 250 in the last REEF survey, diverse critter population, pristine reefs of hard and soft corals with some pretty wrecks and stunning wall dives (especially in the north leeward) make this island an touched treasure.

Bequia may be best suited to your needs as there is a wide selection of rental properties within walking distance of the 2 dive shops. The diving in Bequia can be a little more challenging as the island is much smaller than the main land, and it does not have a distinct leeward coast, however it more than makes up for this with some very pretty drift dives. If you would like to see bigger pelagics during your visit, Bequia is the place.

Union Island is your gateway to the Tobago Cays, a marine park made up of uninhabited islands, which featured in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie - Captain Jack was marooned here! Mayreau Gardens in the Tobago Cays is one of the prettiest drift dives ever.

SVG is not the most easy destination to reach, however if you want world class diving, tiny dive groups usually (2 to 4 divers per boat) and an off the beaten track dive vacation I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
^+1. Kay is absolutely correct. I didn't include SVG because it can be a 2 day trip from Toronto, but the diving rocks!

Some of the BVI's might work also. Not Tortola, there's 28K people in the BVI's, 24K live there. And cruise ships.

3K live on Virgin Gorda - it has that small community feel. 1/2 dozen semi-isolated resorts and and villas of all sizes/views/price ranges for rent - vrbo.com lists many of them. The island is 9/10ths uninhabited - yet has some great restaurants, the famous Baths etc. Virtually no crime, our villa mgr. couldn't produce external door keys when we asked, they'd never needed them - in 2007. DiveBVI for diving - there's also another outfit at Bitter End Yacht club on the north side.

Welcome to the Official Website of the BVI Tourist Board

Jost Van Dyke is an option also - 300 residents, one dive operator - Jost Van Dyke | BVI Tourism

These all are mostly a single resort per island afaik - with a dive operator:
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, BVI - the third DiveBVI location.
Cooper Island Beach Club - A Caribbean paradise in the British Virgin Islands
Peter Island Resort & Spa

You can fly into St. Thomas and take the fast ferries over - it's an hour ride to Tortola - maybe 2 to Virgin Gorda. Air Sunshine is the regional to Virgin Gorda from St. Thomas or San Juan also. I noticed that the website mentions that from Canada it might be easier to fly to Antigua 1st.

Maybe Saba also. I've never dove there but friends have. Harder to get to though thru St. Maarten. It has to be a day flight over also as the airstrip is tiny. And requires an STOL prop plane - google the video. Saba - The Official Website of the Saba Tourist Bureau

Got a number of off the beaten track ideas for you. When you say SMALL islands, I hope you mean SMALL. Some ideas for you to look into. Feel free to contact me with questions on any of them.
1) Staniel Cay in the Bahamas.
2) Montserrat (Diving average, but wonderful island comunity)
3) Barbuda (sister island to Antigua)
4) Dominica, VERY friendly people, but not real "small"

Cheers
Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Last edited:
I second Saba. Hands down the best diving we've done in the Caribbean (we've also dove St. Thomas, Exuma, St. Martin, Turks, the Keys). Amazing volcanic topography; pelagics, excellent vis 100ft+; marine sanctuary; top notch dive ops and by far one of the coolest, prettiest topside experiences in the Caribbean. Only downfall: no beaches. We dove with Sea Saba. Nothing but positive things to say about Sea Saba. Professional, friendly, safe, knowledgeable and experienced.

Thanks! When I mean small I mean SMALL! Salt Cay is 85 people 1.5 x 2miles I think. We really love the small island community feel.

Did plan on going to Grenada this Dec/Jan but will be going back to Salt Cay. Was even going as far as going to Carriacou but SVG doesn't get that 1hr isn't enough time for me to land and hop on one of their aircraft and doing an overnighter is unpalatable with 4pm next day check in times.

Bequia sounds good, wife wants the pelagics! Been to Union island on a day trip from St Lucia a few years back.

Bryan, have to check those out. My wife found a house on Guana Cay but there sure was a lack of info on tripadvisor and 1 review on the dive shop. not feeling diving there. Dominica is beautiful but maybe a bit rustic?
Montserrat? I thought there wasn't much left after the eruption? Have to look into Staniel Cay and Barbuda. -thanks

How is the topside on Saba? Wasn't feeling Saba when we saw it featured on a TV travel show, but I've read some really good things about the diving.

Looked at BVI but getting there in the summer months from Toronto isn't easy. I think I was up to 3-4 legs at one point and decided to give up on BVI.

Looked at BVI but getting there in the summer months from Toronto isn't easy. I think I was up to 3-4 legs at one point and decided to give up on BVI.
Actually it isn't that bad. Leaving Toronto at 6:30 you can be on St. Thomas at 2:30 - earlier (12:30) if you want to risk a short connection. One stop connections also on UsAirways, United or American. The cheapest flights are 18 hr redeye's but there's quite a few in the $7-850 range that are shorter.

From there you take a 5min. cab ride to the ferry port then one of 5-6 ferries to Tortola. - takes 50mins. (they are fast ferries) Any of those smaller islands I suggested probably have pick up options from there - most are a short boat ride away. If you were interested in Peter Island they have their own ferry that leaves St. Thomas at 3:30.

Or you can be on Virgin Gorda in 1:45. My friends left VG at 6:30AM on Speedy's to Red Hook (St. Thomas - East End) from there it was a cab to Charlotte Amalie - 45mins. $20 - and they still had time to look around downtown about 3 hours and get lunch before their 2PM flight. You don't want to spend a lot of time at the airport since the cruisers depart then also.

Most of this only works on Saturday but there's also a few late options on Wednesday? night IIRC.

Here's all you need to put it together if interested:

Matrix - ITA Software
Virgin Islands Ferry Schedule

I should've checked before I posted about Saba but it looks like 3-4 connections and 20+ hrs. minimum from Toronto. And I'm only seeing into St. Maarten, there's still the Win-Air puddle jumper over. And they don't fly at night afaik - here's why: landing in Saba - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom