Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navy OnStar,

The only thing you might want to consider adding to your list of emergency gear that you carry with you is a length (I use about 15') of nylon line with clips/caribiners on each end so you can clip you and your dive buddy together and anyone else that might be in the same situation with you in order to make for a bigger target.

This is another good idea. I have made such nylon line with 3 clips to link in 3 divers, 3’ apart, into 1 group as shown, below. When you bundle the line & clips kit, it is smaller than my 6’ DSMB & spool. :)

295AA166-7976-4E00-A8E0-0718D49F292C.jpeg
B83FA659-A4E4-49E2-8A96-6EA10BA57F43.jpeg

Well, aren't we the bored one with an eidictic memory... :)

“Eidetic”. Apparently that escaped your memory too! :wink:

H
As a Navy Helicopter Pilot I have had training in, and experience conducting Search and Rescue. None of my experiences have been to find overdue divers but they have been to find people lost in the Oceans.

Chance are (hopefully) none of us will be left by a boat or swept out to sea by currents but in the event you find yourself in this predicament here are some things to help you out.

Here are MY OPINIONS (disclaimer) on what TYPE of gear is best to signal an aircraft/rescue boat(i.e. Coast Guard/Navy). This is based on my experience in actual search and rescues. I'll let the experienced divers here fill in what specific gear they like.

Nothing earth shattering here but may serve to let New Divers know what works well.

Everything listed here is good but their effectiveness is more than doubled if the searchers know you have the equipment. Leaving a list of signaling equipment on the boat/ with a responsibile person along with your dive plan will greatly improve you chances of being found.

#1 Signal Mirror.
PROS: Cheap. Never runs out of batteries. Very bright on a sunny day. Can still be seen on overcast days but not as bright. WILL get the attention of a pilot/boat
CONS: Useless at night (nothing to reflect). Have to see the rescue craft to reflect light towards them. (CD's are not as good as a mirror)

#2 SMB (or large bright colored object) Size does matter!
PROS: Cheap. easy to use. Easy to see! Helps pilots to see you in the troughs of waves.
Cons. Bigger the better....means can be bulky.

#3 Sea DYE Marker
PROS: Cheap. Passive marker. If you are tired/incapacitated you don't have to do much to deploy.
CONS: Choppy/strong current/rough waters tend to dissapate quickly. Useless at night
If you dunk it to make a "Dye slick" and then put away until slick goes away and repeat - it'll last longer

#4 Smoke Marker/flare.
PROS: Everyone investigates smoke. Seen from large distances.
CONS: Water friendly ones are expensive. Short burn time. Pyrotechnic.

#5 Light/ Strobe light
PROS: Strobe in the day time is O.K. Excellent at night. Aircraft on Night vision will see more than 30 miles away. These light up the sky on night vision.
CONS: Light good at night but rescuer must be looking directly at in the daytime to notice. Batteries run out.

#6 Glow Stick.
PROS: Last 12 hours. Will be seen by Night vision.
CONS: Harder to see with naked eye at night

#7 Air horn/whistle
PROS: Will get attention without anyone looking at/near you.
CONS: Limited range. 1 mile for Air Horn/much less for whistle. Useless for aircraft.

#8 ELT Emergency Locator Transmitter/Radio
PROS: Will give a signal right to you!
CONS: Cost Prohibitive. Bulky. False alarms from those who are not 100% familiar with their operation.

In my Emergency kit I have a Mirror, Sea Dye Marker, SMB, Whistle (came with BCD) and a strobe. I feel these give me the best spread for any condition and also minimize bulk.

Please feel free to add anything I may have missed and your thoughts on specific gear.

OnStar
i! Thanks a ton! It’s great to get a S&R perspective.

I’ve been an Army Jumpmaster (guy who spots drop zones from the door of the plane, and sends paratroopers out) for some time now and if you want your glow sticks Chem lights to be more visible from the sky, bundle 3-5 of them together with a wrap of electrical tape or rubber bands and the ends. Rubber bands would work better diving since you can remove one while you crack the sticks. Chemlights are tough to see when we use them for drop zone markings, but the bundle makes them significantly brighter, especially if you have the means to use them to light up a flat surface (like a panel or SDB)

H

i! Thanks a ton! It’s great to get a S&R perspective.

I’ve been an Army Jumpmaster (guy who spots drop zones and sends paratroopers out of the plane) for some time now and if you want your glow sticks Chem lights to be more visible from the sky, bundle 3-5 of them together with a wrap of electrical tape or rubber bands and the ends. They’re tough to see when we use them for drop zone markings, but the bundle makes them significantly brighter.
Laser pointer disturbs pilots ( green is most visible ) ? ( of course i know it should not be pointed to rescue wehicle )
- at phase 1 pointed right to sky
- at phase 2 laser source covered with some milk transparent cover instead of chem sticks

Laser pointer disturbs pilots ( green is most visible ) ? ( of course i know it should not be pointed to rescue wehicle )
- at phase 1 pointed right to sky
- at phase 2 laser source covered with some milk transparent cover instead of chem sticks
If you twirl your laser so it forms a cone, its extremely visible and points straight at your position. This works best with green.... as you said, if you point it at the boat or a plane, you stand a really really good chance of causing permanent eye damage to someone.

You can do the same at night with a flashlight if it has a tight beam pattern

Square red plastic sheet. Floats on water.

You must wait at least 99 seconds before performing this action.
You must wait at least 61 seconds before performing this action.
You must wait at least 22 seconds before performing this action.

new white laser lights are extremly visable and pointed OrcaTorch D720 long beam distance dive light for any divers
Candlepower Forums Nice site with an incredible amount of information, thanks for sharing

Orca Torch D720 .. 3* to 18* beam , nice, diving in less than clear water you learn quickly about the importance of beam angle and spill .. and having a narrow beam would allow signalling rescuers/searchers at a longer distance

Here is a very good observation by a friend and instructor about the color of your signal mirror and why it should be something other than silver mirrored ...
"... If you can find one of the mirrors with a red reflective side grab it. In my solo class and the solo classes I taught after that I required them. The reasoning behind this is that there are lots of natural white reflections on the water. Red is rarely natural and attracts more attention."

and

Back
Top Bottom