Best Scubaboard Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene Hobbs, Deco Dr., Couv, Bubbletrouble, Doppler, rjack321

Gene Hobbs, Deco Dr., Couv, Bubbletrouble, Doppler,

I'd love to read more of Doppler's posts here.

Also, if he hasn't been nominated already, Meng Tze has always struck me as seeming knowledgeable, informative, sane, and interesting to read.

Ah ... The Pub ... ScubaBoard's version of "Cheers". Skull's the most consistently entertaining. Wayward posts the best cartoons. Adurso is consistently the most sane. And Catherine is consistently the most "blonde".

Those are the stars. The rest of us are just supporting cast.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are more than supporting cast Bob...

Your posts about diving generally make sense, your advice to newbies in particular is timely and coherent.

And you generally give your advice in understandable and ofttimes humorous fashion.

The ones who look for the positives rather than the negatives....

Ah, don't be such a stroke!

:d

Oh my God!

And in the blink of an eye ONESPEED has surpassed the 50,000 mark in "Thanks"!

This guy is a freakin legend! :thumbs-up

And then, a couple days later, came a post that attempted to answer the original factual question. This poster, however, was openly not knowledgeable and took a guess on the answer. The guess was not totally wrong, but it was not totally right, either.

I guess this sort of thing baffles me. I don't understand people who come to an old thread, read the first post, and then attempt to answer a basic question with a wild guess without bothering to read a single post that follows first. When I come to such a thread and don't know the answer exactly, I prefer to read the rest of the posts to see if I can learn something rather than toss out a guess that confuses others and leaves me in ignorance myself.
This is one of my pet peeves. The most extreme examples occur in the medical forum, where you'll see TSandM, DocVikingo, and Debersole impart the wisdom born of decades of education and professional experience, and then Joe_Layman will chime in with his opinion, based on something the divemaster told him a few weeks ago, which he confirmed with his sister, who used to date a paramedic. :confused: I appreciate most those who give us the benefit of their professional expertise. Beyond that, my list of favorite posters would include many of those already named in this thread, but I'll keep it short. Pardon the mixed metaphors:

MVP: TSandM
Lifetime Achievement Award: Thalassamania
Rookie of the Year: Bubbletrubble
Best Actor in a Comedy: Tom Winters
Lady Byng Trophy: JeffG
Best Actress: Catherine

And the Razzie for Worst Actor in a Comedy: IDocSteve

dang, your memory that good ---or you keep a running list of 'great' posters on hand....

I just try to think of people by name when I can, even though of that list I only physically know and dive with two people. I think it makes this web thing a little more personal.

This is one of my pet peeves. The most extreme examples occur in the medical forum, where you'll see TSandM, DocVikingo, and Debersole impart the wisdom born of decades of education and professional experience, and then Joe_Layman will chime in with his opinion, based on something the divemaster told him a few weeks ago, which he confirmed with his sister, who used to date a paramedic. :confused: I appreciate most those who give us the benefit of their professional expertise.

I am sure I have been guilty of this transgression on many occasions. So - here is my defense.

First, I think we need to define what kind of interaction we are having (or expecting to have) on SB. Is it an "Ask The Experts" resource, a participatory classroom, or a public discussion? You and BoulderJohn may tend towards the former, and while I agree that much of the value of SB derives from knowledgeable experts, I also think a great deal of value comes from "Joe Layman".

Second, many of the things that experts "know", including diving experts and medical experts, are debatable or just plain wrong. Laymen who come along and question those things provide the vital impetus to re-examine old habits and conventional wisdom. In a field where diving experts find much to disagree about and where medical experts admit that there are many unknowns, there is at least a little room for amateur speculation.

Expertise is almost always developed by amateurs, to be later enshrined by experts.

My own participation on SB is intended to learn from others and, if I am lucky, to add value where I can. I try to be right, but I won't be batting 1000 anytime soon...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom