Best Scubaboard Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure I have been guilty of this transgression on many occasions. So - here is my defense.

First, I think we need to define what kind of interaction we are having (or expecting to have) on SB. Is it an "Ask The Experts" resource, a participatory classroom, or a public discussion? You and BoulderJohn may tend towards the former, and while I agree that much of the value of SB derives from knowledgeable experts, I also think a great deal of value comes from "Joe Layman".

Second, many of the things that experts "know", including diving experts and medical experts, are debatable or just plain wrong. Laymen who come along and question those things provide the vital impetus to re-examine old habits and conventional wisdom. In a field where diving experts find much to disagree about and where medical experts admit that there are many unknowns, there is at least a little room for amateur speculation.

Expertise is almost always developed by amateurs, to be later enshrined by experts.

My own participation on SB is intended to learn from others and, if I am lucky, to add value where I can. I try to be right, but I won't be batting 1000 anytime soon...:)
I disagree with almost all of this, but I don't want to argue (I'm trying to curb my natural tendency.:D). I have over 3,000 posts and I am not an expert on anything scuba-related. I try to restrict myself to basic questions that don't require an expert, discussions that call for subjective opinions, and topics where my personal experience might lend some insight. I think that describes the overwhelming bulk of the discussion here.

doctormike! Nobody has mentioned doctormike, and he is extremely helpful with the constant ear barotrauma questions.

I disagree with almost all of this, but I don't want to argue (I'm trying to curb my natural tendency.:D). I have over 3,000 posts and I am not an expert on anything scuba-related. I try to restrict myself to basic questions that don't require an expert, discussions that call for subjective opinions, and topics where my personal experience might lend some insight. I think that describes the overwhelming bulk of the discussion here.

What part do you disagree with most?

Restrict yourself? Why? You have been diving for 35 years, and all over the globe. I would love to hear what you have to say, and get the benefit of your experience and views. That is how I learn, and why I'm here.

When people become an undeserving but self-proclaimed expert, I do not appreciate their posts. If somebody posts an opinion or thought to something in a thread and label it as such, then I usually do not mind reading it. That is how many discussions are initiated on boards such as SB.

While this thread has descended into something completely different than what the op intended it to be I'd like to answer the origional question and say DrBill has consistently had some of the most intelligent and well thought out responses that I've seen on SB.

sabbath999:
NetDoc, for without him there would be no us.

Of course there would. NetDoc is the current owner of ScubaBoard, but is not the founder. The founders were King Neptune and Ladydiver. They started the board in July 2000. Pete, member #879, joined in January 2001. He bought ScubaBoard in late 2003.

Of course there would. NetDoc is the current owner of ScubaBoard, but is not the founder. The founders were King Neptune and Ladydiver. They started the board in July 2000. Pete, member #879, joined in January 2001. He bought ScubaBoard in late 2003.

I never fail to learn something every day from the board. Today I'll vote Walter, in till he says something I don't like. :rofl3:

I should also mention Chuck Tribolet for all the work that he's done for us NorCal folks with his marine forecast website as well as his knowledgable posts.

I never fail to learn something every day from the board. Today I'll vote Walter, in till he says something I don't like. :rofl3:

Here's something else for you to learn. The macaw in Walters avatar was part of the original banner, before the Scubaboard logo was adopted. :)

I appreciate most those who give us the benefit of their professional expertise. ...

And the Razzie for Worst Actor in a Comedy: IDocSteve

Idocsteve is a professional and has shared his expertise very freely and helpfully here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...enses-diving-questions-welcome-idocsteve.html

He has also shared his "annoying to most" sense of humour very widely across the board. I was going to make him the sole person on my blacklist, but my opinion of him changed substantially after reading the above thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom