Best Scuba Diving in North America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester:
I've been to Coz, too - but I didn't go diving (it was b4 I was certified). But that is an interesting comment.. I've heard that Coz was good but I'm not sure I would have thought it would be better than Belize... where did you see (assuming you're the one who made the comment) that Coz was ranked # 2 in the world?
Scuba Diving Jan/Feb 2005 #2 Caribbean/Atlantic Top Dive Destinations - Bonaire was #1.

chester:
Is it Jo Jo @ T&C? :)
\

Hahah, i hear you on current, altho It wasn't bad when we were down there--altho things were stirred up from the tsunami!

cornfed:
Then why is Greenland part of North America? By that logic it should be part of Europe?

I don't understand, why should Greenland be part of Europe because Hawaii being a state in the U.S. making it a part of North America?

Greenland is it's own country and not a state of another European country.

I think Greenland is part of N.A. because it was originally part of this continent before it broke off a few million years ago, not positive on that mind you, I'd have to do some research, but makes sence to me.

P.S. Cozumel should still be on this list!!!!

sharky60:
Greenland is it's own country and not a state of another European country.
No, it's a Danish territory.

and exactly why do they call it Greenland, anyway?

wouldn't it be more accurate to call it "Rockland" or "Barrenland"?

but then... who would move there?

anyways... i actually won a team trivia game a few months back with
this question (i paraphrase a little):

which territory is technically still part of the Kingdon of Denmark
but has enjoyed home rule since 1979?

answer: yup... you guessed it

chester:
thought I would share this web page...

Best Scuba Diving in North America

10. Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
9. British Virgin Islands
8. Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
7. U.S. Virgin Islands
6. Florida Keys
5. Turks & Caicos
4. Maui, Hawaii
3. The Bahamas
2. Belize
1. Grand Cayman

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/worldsbest/scuba/scuba.html

Personally I think this whole list is kind of stupid, everyone's going to have there own personal opinion on where the best diving is. It could be in your own back yard, but they probably needed to fill a certain time slot on tv and so this list was born. I also wouldn't say that the discovery channel is a very big authority on diving. Oh yeah before I step off my soap box; Hawaii is not part of North America. Just because its owned by a certain country doesn't make it part of that continent. By that rational Australia used to be owned by the UK does that mean it used to be part of europe.

vertaqua:
Personally I think this whole list is kind of stupid, everyone's going to have there own personal opinion on where the best diving is. It could be in your own back yard, but they probably needed to fill a certain time slot on tv and so this list was born. I also wouldn't say that the discovery channel is a very big authority on diving. Oh yeah before I step off my soap box; Hawaii is not part of North America. Just because its owned by a certain country doesn't make it part of that continent. By that rational Australia used to be owned by the UK does that mean it used to be part of europe.

Agreed-- Geography over political boundaries

H2Andy:
anyways... i actually won a team trivia game a few months back with
this question (i paraphrase a little):

which territory is technically still part of the Kingdon of Denmark
but has enjoyed home rule since 1979?

answer: yup... you guessed it

Minnesota?

cornfed:
No, it's a Danish territory.

Ok, my bad, but being a territory is still not a state, Samoa and Guam are U.S. territories and they are not in North America. I think it has to do with geology, after looking at the map it apears Greenland is included because it was part of this continental mass at one time.

Also after further investigation on the whole matter, I've discovered the Caribbean Islands and Bahamas are part of N.A....so, my bad again!!

Here's a written description of North America I found on the net:

"North America, third largest continent (1990 est. pop. 365,000,000), c.9,400,000 sq mi (24,346,000 sq km), the northern of the two continents of the Western Hemisphere. North America includes all of the mainland and related offshore islands lying N of the Isthmus of Panama (which connects it with South America). The term “Anglo-America” is frequently used in reference to Canada and the United States combined, while the term “Middle America” is used to describe the region including Mexico, the republics of Central America, and the Caribbean."

so most of the Caribbean islands, the Bahamas and Bermuda are part of North America....Cozumel should still be on the original list. (insert 'dead horse' smiley thing here)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom