Best Scuba Diving in North America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester:
thought I would share this web page... Best Scuba Diving in North America

North America?

...or not.

Here's their comment on Belize, a nation that includes many islands that offer the diving that this country, formerly in Central America, has to offer (emphasis mine):

But for divers, the island's biggest draw is the barrier reef, second in size only to the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. The reef runs the entire length of the 185-mile-long island.

I hope someday to visit the Island of Belize. Thought I had been there, but...

Even beside that, this is an oddball list. Somebody's selling something.

RoatanMan:
North America?

...or not. That's an oddball list. Somebody's selling something.

Huh? The article is from the Discovery Channel... they're not selling anything (specific anyway). :)

Here's a description of "North America" from the world atlas site:

North America, the 3rd largest continent, includes Canada, Greenland, Mexico, the United States, all the countries of Central America and the island countries and dependencies of the Caribbean.

http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/na.htm

chester:
thought I would share this web page...

10. Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
9. British Virgin Islands
8. Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
7. U.S. Virgin Islands
6. Florida Keys
5. Turks & Caicos
4. Maui, Hawaii
3. The Bahamas
2. Belize
1. Grand Cayman

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/worldsbest/scuba/scuba.html

Sounds like they targeted a very specific type of diving.

I'd think that others for consideration and diversity would be:

• California Cat or Channel Islands & kelp beds
  • Vancouver Island
  • St. Lawrence 1000 Island area
  • Maybe a specific Great Lakes spot or two
  • ?Wrecks of North Carolina off Morehead City or Wilmington
  • ...and of course... Gilboa Quarry :D
...and as many good things I hear about Roatan, I can't believe it's not on there... some on their list are certainly suspect.

wb416:
Sounds like they targeted a very specific type of diving.

I'd think that others for consideration and diversity would be:

• California Cat or Channel Islands & kelp beds
  • Vancouver Island
  • St. Lawrence 1000 Island area
  • Maybe a specific Great Lakes spot or two
  • ?Wrecks of North Carolina off Morehead City or Wilmington
  • ...and of course... Gilboa Quarry :D
...and as many good things I hear about Roatan, I can't believe it's not on there... some on their list are certainly suspect.

I'm still a novice diver and haven't dove many of those areas... but I would take this list with a grain of salt - they put out hundreds of these (The best of ... series). They likely don't do that much research.

But at least, it has sparked interesting conversation (which is why I posted it). :14:

chester:
I'm still a novice diver and haven't dove many of those areas... but I would take this list with a grain of salt - they put out hundreds of these (The best of ... series). They likely don't do that much research.

But at least, it has sparked interesting conversation (which is why I posted it). :14:

I know several folks that would say that the caves in FL, or better yet Mexico, are hands-down THE best dives in North America!!

They've just got to learn to categorize better!! :wink:

bob

wb416:
I know several folks that would say that the caves in FL, or better yet Mexico, are hands-down THE best dives in North America!! They've just got to learn to categorize better!! :wink: bob

What is considered so interesting about the caves in FL (or Mexico)? I'm not likely to pursure cave diving anytime soon - but I am still curious about it!

I dove Ginny Springs last month and the extensive maps of underground cave systems were pretty impressive.

chester:
What is considered so interesting about the caves in FL (or Mexico)? I'm not likely to pursure cave diving anytime soon - but I am still curious about it!

I dove Ginny Springs last month and the extensive maps of underground cave systems were pretty impressive.

Ya know chester... I kinda like really being in love... it's hard to put into words... and it's best to experience it for yourself... :D

... only then will you know if the chemistry is there, and see if the "cave bug" bites you!! :wink:

As a taste... if you happen to like stalagtites and stalagmites, then underwater they can be even more impressive... that's one appeal of caves in Riviera Maya area of Mexico.

bob

Belize is not an island..formerly known as British Honduras b/c of the British colonization-- it does have islands/cayes, but the mainland is attached to central america...HEEEEELLLO Guatamala....Who put that article out? BIG mistake!!!

its one of the reasons it has the best system of drinking water and plants in the area... Reef is amazing...

chester:
thought I would share this web page...

4. Maui, Hawaii
Is Hawaii really considered part of North America?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom