Best safe second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Integrated power inflators are "in principal" functional. In emergency use they are minimally an awkward pain, and potentially a disaster to use.

I disagree. The theory behind the integrated power inflator is the same as the theory of the bungied safe second around your neck. You know where the safe second stage is and you donate your known to be working primary. Where it breaks down is with divers that are not properly trained, and try to donate the inflator and/or using too short a hose on the primary.

I agree that a bungied high performance octo is better than an Air II. However, I believe that the Air II is a better solution that buying the cheapest second and then dragging it though the sand, which I see a lot of divers doing. This includes myself when I started diving.

I can see the advantage of "one less hose" with the integrated power inflator but not much else... What do you guys think?

The main advantage of one less hose was for Scubapro that pioneered (and patented) the integrated octo-inflator. Their early MK-5 regulators only had two low pressure ports on the swivel, so a diver could not add an octopus if he was using a BC. You can sell him an octo if it uses the same hose as the inflator.

Modern first stages have 4-6 low pressure ports so divers are not "port challenged" anymore. So the only thing you are saving is the weight and expense of 1 hose. While divers tell horror stories about how bad octo/inflators breathe, they do not breathe any worse than the "puck" octopuses that are popular now.

As others have mentioned, it is better to use a quality second stage as a safe second.

I want my back up to work as good (or better) than my primary. In the places I dive, a reg failure is not the place you want to find a balance of compromise. Primary donate is the law of the land around here, so if It hits the fan, and I have to donate my primary, there is a good chance I could be breathing my 'backup' on a 1,000' crawl out of a cave. *I know that nobody is suggesting to use an octo-inflator on an advanced/tech dive.. but I try to maintain the standards, as much as possible no matter where I am diving.

If a reg is not reliable enough to be my primary.. It's NOT going into the water with me.

I guess that's why I am biased against the octo-inflator concept. I was forced to use one during my first OW training dives and really hated it. It forced me into an awkward neck position, and did not inspire any confidence in the way it breathed. I am sure some of the newer offerings are better, but I remain unimpressed.

The other issue I have is regarding gear maintenance and configuration. If you have to swap out gear for a failure, that limits your options a lot.

Lastly..I take good care of all my gear, but lights and regs get extra special handling. I just don't like having my 'backup' reg being part of my BC..

The following is a copy and paste from another thread. YMMV. I am not a fan of the inflator/octo combo. I took Rescue class with a buddy that had this and while he was air sharing, it was totally awkward to hold and vent the inflator while it was in his mouth. That was my first experience with the Air2. More below. If anything happened with the inflator or LP hose, that's your Octo as well. NBD if you're on a local dive, but totally sucks if you're on a liveaboard and there are no extra octos around.

@stuartv said the following:

No way I would spend money on an Air2. I know a lot of people have them and like them. But, I suspect most of them have not ever had them when they got into a situation where they had to share air or otherwise really use it. Plus, if you go with a regular octo, you always have the option of still using your reg set with a rental BCD. E.g. if you're traveling, you could take your regs and leave your own BCD at home if you needed to, to save room and/or weight in your luggage.

I quoted him and responded with this:

I touched upon this subject with @tbone1004 last week. I totally agree with you as well, @stuartv. After coming back to your thread and reading your comments as well, I have something to share that happened on Sunday when I was out diving with a group. A friend of mine who has the Air II connected all of her gear, turned on her air, and there was a hissing noise. Yup, an air leak somewhere. Further inspection and our ears told us that it was coming from the low pressure inflator hose attachment. She didn't want to call the dive and didn't have another BC she could use because there was none and because she didn't have a traditional octo even if we did have a spare BC. She decided to dive anyway without the LP hose attached. She made sure to tell everyone to not go to her if an issue comes up because she won't have spare air/reg to share in an emergency. In short, my thoughts were, in an emergency, I'll try to remember that. Thankfully, she's not my buddy. She inflated her bc orally under water and at the surface the entire dive. Kudos to her.

So there is a real world example. One might say that she should carefully checked her gear and called the dive, but with so many possible issues, I think it's just easier to have a traditional octo for peace of mind. Also, should I need to replace or fix something, a traditional corrugated inflator hose is probably much easier to swap out or as @stuartv mentioned, I could just connect to another BC easily if my BC became an issue.

---

Also quoting @tbone1004 from another thread:

Now, real world issues on a theoretical level
People talk about the following points
Makes their gear more streamlined because it is one less hose. Yes it removes a hose, however it comes at the cost of having to use a longer corrugated hose and not being able to retain it close to the body easily. This actually makes it less streamlined than a primary donate regulator setup.
Makes their gear less complicated because it's one less hose. BS, you go from industry standard fittings on the QD's to requiring a custom hose for that product. If that hose fails, you now have to find the hose specific to that inflator *they aren't a standardized fitting across brands*. If you can't find one locally, then you not only lose power inflation which is a luxury to have though certainly not a dive ending issue, you lose your secondary regulator for air. That's a big problem. I think DGX is now important some regulator hose adapters for them which makes the compatibility less of a problem since it still uses a standard reg hose, but it's extra steps, and an extra o-ring to fail.
It also ties your regulator to your BC. If your BC fails for whatever reason, your regulator set is now not compatible with any other BCD unless it has an Air2 with the same connection as yours. If it doesn't have one, you lose your power inflate ability because the QD isn't compatible, but you also don't have a secondary second stage which is a safety issue since buddy breathing is no longer taught.
It ties your BC to your regulator. Same issue as above though more of a nuisance than anything but a potential safety issue. If your reg set has an issue and you have to use a rental set, you lose the ability to power inflate. This isn't a safety issue until your muscle memory goes to grab your Air2 in an OOA scenario and it isn't connected to anything.

So, those are the problems with it on paper. The compatibility issue for me is the biggest deal breaker and a SUPER annoying one.

In real world use. Deflating the BCD while breathing on it is something that makes me laugh every time someone tries to use them. It is never graceful, and someone almost always has a real problem with it. Lots of documented stories about them on here, many fairly recently.
My students are not allowed to use them in their open water training, no ifs ands or buts. If their rental or personal gear has them, they are required to have a normal second stage on a suicide strap around their neck for OOA scenarios, no exceptions.

Air2 is the answer to a question nobody was really asking.......

Air2 is the answer to a question nobody was really asking.......

Not quite true, the OP did in his first post, although not the AIR 2 specifically...

"not sure if this has been discussed but which setup do you guy feel is the best safe second - a safe second stage regulator OR a safe second integrated power inflator on your BC?"

@buddhasummer that's not what @scubafanatic meant. I guess the better quote could have been "a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist". He wasn't saying that the OP didn't ask about it, he was saying that the AirII exists for no real reason

Cheers for the clarification, apologies to scubafanatic for my misunderstanding.

There's a case to be made that IF your buddy runs out of air and rudely grabs yours.

I wouldn't necessarily call it rude, a panicked OOA diver is going to go into survival mode at that point. They are going to grab your primary that's in your mouth. The whole practice of a diver swimming to you, giving you the OOA throat slash hand sign is not preparing divers for real life scenarios. Any diver who needs air is going to go straight for the source.

One of the reasons I'm a fan of primary donate and having a high performance backup.

Back
Top Bottom