Best safe second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GKallos

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I not sure if this has been discussed but which setup do you guy feel is the best safe second - a safe second stage regulator OR a safe second integrated power inflator on your BC?

I can see the advantage of "one less hose" with the integrated power inflator but not much else...

What do you guys think?

The best for me would be a second attached to a second first stage on a second redundant tank be it a small pony or a second full size tank SM/BM doubles. Matching sets and no worries about needing to locate a buddy if there is a problem with the primary just isolate and call the dive. Also with a pony you aren't tied to your buddy if you have to donate just unclip and surface together.

Edit: If carrying a pony or redundant gas supply is not an option then matching seconds tuned the same with one on a long hose and one around your neck on a necklace would be my preference.

Last edited:
what @runsongas said, preferably rigged with some sort of primary donate hose routing so the secondary is on a suicide strap around your neck.

There are no practical advantages to something like the AirII, only theoretical. Even the theoretical ones break down VERY quickly though

I like the Atomic SS1, easy for me to rebuild when they come in.

As for using, I much prefer like others have already said, a longer hose with bungee'd necklace.

Manifold Doubles with possibility of isolation, with two first and two second stages redundantly rigged.

One that works.

Although I perfer and use a bungeed second now, over the years l have used a safe second, both same as the primary and not, and an inflator / reg. I found that all worked well when needed. It is more important that they work well and you can use them effectively than which one you choose, you can always change your mind later if you want.

It also may may make a difference depending on what type of diving and the configuration of the divers that you are buddys with. Ultimately its your choice, I started diving before the safe second, so I firmly believe that any safe second is better than none.

Bob

Integrated power inflators are "in principal" functional. In emergency use they are minimally an awkward pain, and potentially a disaster to use.
This topic has been discussed hoards of times.

There's a case to be made that IF your buddy runs out of air and rudely grabs yours...If you don't have an octopus, they pretty much have to grab your primary. Disrupting you while you fiddle for the inflator secondary. So having an octopus allows for a second diver to share your air, even while surfacing or dealing with other issues, with the greatest flexibility.

And against that is the case that one less hose is a nice concept.

I think you'd just have to try both and see what suits you best.

Back
Top Bottom