Best resort based options for a Dive Dive Dive type trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenmerk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the best resort based options in Fiji for diving quality. The areas I'm looking at are Taveuni, Kadavu, and Bligh Waters. (e.g. quality of the dive operations, closeness to the best dive sites, and if they actually get out to the best dive sites on a frequent basis)

Would appreciate whatever recent first-hand info you all might have in regard to dive resorts that are near these three locations.

Cheers, and happy diving........

I have only been to two places Bequa Lagoon and Matava. Both were great. I liked the diversty of Matava.
From Macro to Whales and everything in between. All dives sites were no more than 15 to 20mins. away.
Manta reef was about 30mins. and was more than worth it. You are diving on the great Astraloba reef.
The corals were in pristene condition. No coral bleachng I saw the week I was there. The staff was outstanding.
The dive staff would take you anywhere you would want to go. To see any critters you may want to see.
Smaller operation and very relaxing between dives. Hope this helped Want more info contact me here (1dwyatt)
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the best resort based options in Fiji for diving quality. The areas I'm looking at are Taveuni, Kadavu, and Bligh Waters. (e.g. quality of the dive operations, closeness to the best dive sites, and if they actually get out to the best dive sites on a frequent basis)

Would appreciate whatever recent first-hand info you all might have in regard to dive resorts that are near these three locations.

Cheers, and happy diving........

We stayed on Matangi int the Taveuni area a few years ago for 11 days and it was close to good diving (Yellow and Noel's walls - all time fav for me) and we did quite a bit of diving around Qamea and did a trip to the Somosomo Straights. The latter was about 30-45 min by boat from the resort as I recall. This had a min number divers required.
The onsite dive op was good at the time - dependable and knowledgeable. There were daily two tank am dives and some afternoon dives if arranged - I think we arranged two tank afternoon dives a couple of times but it was not usual. It's a small resort but when we stayed, there were quite a few divers. I think it's known more as a couples/honeymoon place but I dove nearly every day. I did not shore dive but at the time I recall it was available tho you have to watch the current.

This resort is higher cost but there are others on Taveuni and in the area at lower cost. I have heard decent reviews of Garden Island resort and Taveuni Island resort. I think there are around a dozen hotels/resorts in the area but other than Matangi I have not used them.

All the diving was good. I did not see alot of large stuff (sharks, rays, etc) though I was told that it did exist. Tons of soft corals, small fish, clams (big), etc. We did see octopus, eels (moray - spotted and blue ribbon), a couple of turtles and an occasional white tip reef shark and assorted fish.

The Taveuni area is very green and wetter I gather than some other areas in Fiji but we got sunshine. Side trips to the waterfalls in Bouma Nat'l park were available from Matangi and well worth it.

I have some photos in my SB gallery to give you an idea of the diving and tipside of the area - these are labeled Fiji, Taveuni or Matangi - sorry mixed in woth other photos.

you picked the right 3 areas to start. taveuni - go for paradise taveuni, great spot, nice place, good diving, good folks. kadavu - got to matava for all the same reasons as paradise but out of all, go to bligh waters (you can tell from my name!) and wananavu is in my mind the best all round package that ticks every box. also great deals this april and rumour has it that nitrox is on its way. been 3 times now and once to the others. it rocks!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, its more than helpful. Plus you all have mentioned quite a few of the resorts that I have been looking at: Matava, Wananavu, Garden Island, Paradise Taveuni, etc...

Cheers....

I've stayed at Garden Island and the first 10 days of March I'll be at Paradise on Taveuni. But if you want a DIVE DIVE DIVE kinda trip I think a live aboard is the only real option. Paradise has a nice house reef but you can't dive it alone at night. All the shore diving you want till the evening, then they want you to take a guide (one night dive is included on the 10 dive package. I don't remember any kind of house reef off Garden Island. If you want to go crazy diving , like I said, go live aboard.

If you REALLY want to dive, dive, dive - Liveaboard - The Nai'a. Absolutely astounding dive sites and access.

Thanks for the live-aboard recommendations. Unfortunately, this time around I'll be traveling with some non-divers so that won't be an option. (So, just trying the find the best resort based options available for now...)

Cheers...

Back
Top Bottom