Wakatobi-best dive sites and dive masters at resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annie R

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi--

I'll be going to Wakatobi for a week (land-based trip) in mid-August, 2023 and would love to hear opinions about the best dive and snorkel sites there. I am interested in beautiful coral and colorful fish--sharks not important to me. I'd also like to know the names of the best divemasters there who are able to point out small and hidden stuff I probably wouldn't see. I plan to do both diving and snorkeling. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Annie

At Wakatobi, you will not have any choice for dive sites, DM's or much else. Very regimented schedules, boats etc.

I doubt if any of the DM's are the same as my last visit 10 yrs ago, but we had some terrific DM's and some who were terrible.

@Annie R

The previous poster is only partially correct. You will absolutely have a choice of both dive sites and DM's if you are willing to pay a little more. They have a program (Private Dive Experience Manager) which allows you to have a DM and essentially choice of of sites each day (based on all the dive boats' schedules).

We've been to Wakatobi 4 times (both our kids were certified there). The last two times we've paid for the PDEM and it was worth it for us (the added bonus for us was that as a family of 4 we never had any other divers with us with this program - usually you will be in a slightly larger group). Most of the local guides are very good (finding the small stuff, etc.). The European, American, and Australian DM's communicate better, but find much less.

If we were returning and not getting a PDEM, I would specifically ask for a local guide. The downside might be that it could be a bit harder to have a conversation with them (many do speak very good English), however they are much better at finding the pygmy seahorses, etc. Our favorite DM (by far) is Yusef, although the last time we were there was right before the pandemic, so he may not be there.
You will often hear that Wakatobi is regimented, etc. They have built probably the most successful and well looked after dive resort in Indonesia, in part because they have figured out how to scale without losing that personal touch for the guests. The food is excellent, the rooms are very good, they handle the transportation to/from the resort with ease, they are very eco-conscious, and the dive operation is well run.

You won't see big stuff (other than a few large schools of fish), but the coral is very healthy, the pygmys are there, and there are so many other critters and fish as well.

Hi--

I'll be going to Wakatobi for a week (land-based trip) in mid-August, 2023 and would love to hear opinions about the best dive and snorkel sites there. I am interested in beautiful coral and colorful fish--sharks not important to me.

Annie, Wakatobi Resort's blog has lots of good posts, including one identifying and describing seven favored sites, all nearby. The Magnificent Seven - Wakatobi Flow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom