Best regs for stage bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
According to the Poseidon manual that I have, "Outlet connections: One outlet marked "R" for second stage (max. airflow)." I would assume that this is the the port Poseidon would prefer you to connect the hose to your primary second stage to. On the Cyklon 5000, there is another port marked "S" (restricted airflow) that is intended only for connecting to a drysuit or BC inflator.

my "R" port is unused. should i transfer my primary 2nd stage from lp port to "R" port? i m quite content with the air-flow rate of my poseidon but if the "R" will give more air even better:)

Spoon:
my "R" port is unused. should i transfer my primary 2nd stage from lp port to "R" port? i m quite content with the air-flow rate of my poseidon but if the "R" will give more air even better:)

I guess if you are happy with the air flow then I would worry about hose routing before using the "R" port. Otoh, I must confess that I do not use Poseidon regs so I am sure there are many here on SB who can answer your question better/more knowledgeably.

1/2" ports have been a fad with a few companies over the years with the idea being they would increase air flow. It sounds good in the advertisements and catalogs but ignores the fact that the standard 3/8 hose offers more than enough flow for even a high performance second stage so any performance increase from a 1/2" hose is both uneeded and unnoticed. What you do notice is a larger, stiffer hose, greater expense and severely limited selection if you change hoses. Many divers with 1/2" hoses end up with 1/2" to 3/8" adapters and 3/8" hoses anyway. Not surprisingly most companies have either already dumped them or are in the process of doing so.

I prefer simple, reliable regs for deco regs. My preference is a flow by piston reg like the Scubapro Mk 2. With a single hose, it routes cleanly down the side of the deco bottle. The unbalanced design also gives you some warning when the pressure falls below about 300 psi.as the inhalation resitance increases slightly.

Internally, everything past the HP seat is exposed to only intermediate pressure so the dynamic o-rings are only containing 120 to145 psi. The design is basically bullet proof - which in my opinion is what you want in a deco reg.

DIN is a lot cleaner. Some argue it is more secure and technically it is. Although to be honest I never had an unpressurized yoke reg unscrew itself froma deco bottle and I have had that happen with a DIN deco reg - at least enough to blow serious bubbles when it was turned on.

Still, I'd go with DIN.

Hi All,

I consider buy first stage and regulator for stage bottle and decompression bottle? Please give some opinion and advice.

Thank

Cheer
Jason

If it is possible, I'd suggest you try to keep all your regs the same. I have all poseidon first stages. Two back gas and two deco's. Actually have a 5th 1st stage as a spare. I then only need one rebuild kit if I have a problem. All my 2nd stages are the Kirby Morgan (Abyss). Again, only one rebuild kit needed. All the regs are DIN.

If I really get into trouble I can swap things out. Even underwater.

CB

DA Aquamaster:
I prefer simple, reliable regs for deco regs. My preference is a flow by piston reg like the Scubapro Mk 2. With a single hose, it routes cleanly down the side of the deco bottle. The unbalanced design also gives you some warning when the pressure falls below about 300 psi.as the inhalation resitance increases slightly.

Still, I'd go with DIN.

As you know, there has been a long discussion whether or not you need to have the same level of deco reg as the back gas regs... I am also using MK2 as the deco bottle though. Some members contend that the deco time is also long enough to have a quality reg.. How do you think? It is only money issue or overkill?

I think the demands are different. A backgas reg will be used at depth where the gas is relatively thicker (unless you are using He mixes) and the flow rates are much higher. CO2 retention is also a risk factor so an easy breathing regulator is needed to minimize CO2 retention. On the bottom you are also potentially gpoing to be working/swimming harder which increases both flow rate and CO2 concerns. Temps on the bottom are often colder and combined with higher flow rates, better freeze protection is needed (at least in colder water) All of that points to the need for a very good performing first and second stage for your backgas.

Deco regs on the other hand are used in midwater or shallow water and are normally employed by divers who are stationary, hanging on a jon line etc, and are not usually working hard for sustained periods of time. Consequently flow rates are lower, CO2 production and retention are not an issue and not as much brute performance is needed.

Relaibility is however crucial. Having a backgas reg quit means switching to the secondary and aborting the dive with less than the expected deco time. Having a deco reg quit means loss of that deco gas (unless you can swap, and consequently flood, the regulator underwater.) That means a much longer deco schedule on back gas or one of you two originally planned deco gasses.

My preference is to use super simple deco regs that won't quit as they have few parts to break and have few o-rings exposed to high pressure air (which helps reliability and decreases the potential of an O2 fire.) Plus, the odds are better that you can flood a simple unbalanced flow by piston reg and get it to work successfully than they are that you can do that with a balanced diaphragm reg.

Another advantage in my opinion is the "warning" you get if you have a near empty deco bottle. At about 300 psi, the inhaltion effort goes up and lets you know you are just about done. Consequently, with a MK 2 on a deco bottle I only use a button gauge to confirm that it has about what it is supposed to have in it for pressure during the dive which avoides the extra bulk and potential entanglement and failure possibilities that accompany an SPG on a 7" hose.

With regard to ease of breathing, I do compromise a bit and use an adjustable second stage on my Mk 2's and 3's (either G250's or Balanced Adjustables). That lets you set the inhalation resistance at essentially the same level you would get with a high performance second stage, but then if you don't readjust for lower tank pressures, still gives you a near empty warning. It's a compromise however as it is a lot more expensive and an adjustable second stage is a bit more complex - in my opinion not enough to matter as they are still very reliable, but in theory they do have more ways to fail.

Even an R190 however can be tuned to breathe fairly easily (still not super smooth but with a low inhalation effort around 1.2" of water). So if the breathing performance is acceptable to the diver I see no problem in using an unbalanced second stage on a deco reg.

But that's just my opinion and I have to plead guilty to a 41 year history of being a very independent kind of person who wants to know "why?" and is genetically unable to follow a crowd just "because".

101% agree with DA Aquamaster, and his awesome explanation. I also use an unbalance piston for my deco cylinders. The reason being is to have a regulator that will give me less possible problems underwater, the more simple it is the less posible problems I will have.

As for performance of a deco regulator, we don't really get to do much deep decompression in the Philippines, unless you are very a reach guy!!! Our normal decompression dives are accelerated with 100% O2 or high O2 mixes, which makes our hung time quite short. Another thing to consider is the water conditons, temperature, objective of the dive, anything that can affect your CO2 levels.

I like to have diferent second stages for my deco regs so in worst case senario I can feel by touch which one is which. This is in case you will be using more than 3 decompression bottles, since the possisioning or placing of your tanks should already tell which one it is.

DIN ofcourse, so I can ****ch between regulator in case of mulfunction. You should be able to have back-up reg for each cylinder. Meaning that if you only have one stage/deco bottle and it's yoke than you are in trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom