Best regs for stage bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
will be in the mareket for some stage regs and deco regs in the coming months and i wanted too see if you guys can suggest any? since i am a poseidon user was planning on getting some used cyclons or jetstreams but they seem a bit too pricey for stage/deco regs. my other option is either the apeks US4 or ds4. also unsure whther i should get the yoke or the din ones.

Might want to consider a first stage with a turret/swivel - Apeks DST or Scubapro MK25 - not crucial but a nice feature to have.

Personally, I would try to get the same brand as the regs you are using for your back gas just to minimize the spares - but as you mentioned, Poseidons are expensive... I would also definitely go with DIN.

Vie:
Might want to consider a first stage with a turret/swivel - Apeks DST or Scubapro MK25.

Personally, I would try to get the same brand as the regs you are using for your back gas just to minimize the spares - but as you mentioned, Poseidons are expensive...

was thinking of the the poseidon deco with swivels but they are darn expensive. most likely get the apeks. by the way, whats the diff between the dst and ds4?

Spoon:
was thinking of the the poseidon deco with swivels but they are darn expensive. most likely get the apeks. by the way, whats the diff between the dst and ds4?

DST has the swivel turret, DS4 does not.

DST has 3x 3/8" ports and 1x 1/2" port. DS4 has 4x 3/8" ports.

There might be a "new" DST that has 4x 3/8" ports (paired with the new XTX50 second stage)...

Vie:
DST has the swivel turret, DS4 does not.

DST has 3x 3/8" ports and 1x 1/2" port. DS4 has 4x 3/8" ports.

There might be a "new" DST that has 4x 3/8" ports (paired with the new XTX50 second stage)...

sorry vie im not yet in the level of understanding port sizes:) they are all the same to me i just nknow lp and hp. im learning. btw offtopic what does the port labeled "R" mean in the poseidon? reserve? cant seem to figure it out.

Spoon:
sorry vie im not yet in the level of understanding port sizes:) they are all the same to me i just nknow lp and hp. im learning. btw offtopic what does the port labeled "R" mean in the poseidon? reserve? cant seem to figure it out.

Sorry, I was referring to LP ports (Apeks calls them MP ports for some reason...). As you probably know, some Apeks first stages (DST, FST, FSR) have a single 1/2" LP port and three 3/8" LP ports - you can either use a custom hose (or adaptor which I personally do not like or recommend) or get a 1/2" port plug. But as I said, there might be a "new" DST which has four 3/8" LP ports.

According to the Poseidon manual that I have, "Outlet connections: One outlet marked "R" for second stage (max. airflow)." I would assume that this is the the port Poseidon would prefer you to connect the hose to your primary second stage to. On the Cyklon 5000, there is another port marked "S" (restricted airflow) that is intended only for connecting to a drysuit or BC inflator.

Vie:
Sorry, I was referring to LP ports (Apeks calls them MP ports for some reason...). As you probably know, some Apeks first stages (DST, FST, FSR) have a single 1/2" LP port and three 3/8" LP ports - you can either use a custom hose (or adaptor which I personally do not like or recommend) or get a 1/2" port plug. But as I said, there might be a "new" DST which has four 3/8" LP ports.

why dont they just standardize all lp ports and hp ports. why have em in different sizes? whats the logic of this?

Spoon:
why dont they just standardize all lp ports and hp ports. why have em in different sizes? whats the logic of this?

I guess LP and HP ports are differently sized so that the user would not confuse the two and accidentally connect a second stage to a HP port, for instance.

As for the Apeks 3/8" and 1/2" LP ports, I have have no idea why they did it; I've heard an "it increases airflow" explanation but have no idea what the real fact(s) is/are...

Anyway, Apeks are doing away with the 1/2" ports with the introduction of the XTX series second stage and "new" 4x 3/8" versions of the DST, FST and FSR first stages.

i guess LP and HP ports are differently sized so that the user would not confuse the two and accidentally connect a second stage to a HP port, for instance.

no problem with the hp and lp i know the diff:)

As for the Apeks 3/8" and 1/2" LP ports, I have have no idea why they did it; I've heard an "it increases airflow" explanation but have no idea what the real fact(s) is/are...
this is the part that confuses me and i think that the larger size doesnt make a diff in the supposed airflow

Anyway, Apeks are doing away with the 1/2" ports with the introduction of the XTX series second stage and "new" 4x 3/8" versions of the DST, FST and FSR first stages.
cant wait il most likely get this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom