Best Quote of the Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I will not use names to protect the identity of the suspect. I just got back from a vacation at a nice dive resort. I won't mention the name just the initials LCBR. Met this really nice new diver who was just certified the same week. So obviously not a whole lot of experience. He was a really nice guy and fun to talk to. Sitting around the bar the first night I got to talking to him and he told me how he had just certified. And he complained about his legs being tore up. I said what happen to your legs? And I almost choked on my Rum Punch when he said "Well every time I descend I drop right into the coral and the coral is scratching the hell out my legs when I drop thru it" After regaining my composure I mentioned that its usually a good practice not to drop directly into the coral. He replied yeah I know but I just don't have the buoyancy thing down quite right yet. Well by the time he left he seemed to be a fish in the water, just thought that was a little amusing. Granted my buoyancy may not be perfect but I never would have admitted the crashing thru the coral part! If he reads this, I'm laughing with you not at you! :lotsalove:
David

I heard someone - a supposed experienced diver - say that their bouyancy was a bit off on the first dive and that they needed to drop a few pounds from their weightbelt observing "I hit the bottom a lot harder than I usually do."

Someone here recently quoted an instructor teaching a DM class telling his students to "Navigate so that you come back a different way than you went out. That way you won't have to swim through the silt trail."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Someone here recently quoted an instructor teaching a DM class telling his students to "Navigate so that you come back a different way than you went out. That way you won't have to swim through the silt trail."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yikes! That DM is sadly mistaken!:shakehead:

The real reason you plan dives this way is so the sharks can't lie in wait for you...:mooner:

Yikes! That DM is sadly mistaken!:shakehead:

The real reason you plan dives this way is so the sharks can't lie in wait for you...:mooner:

Correct-Roger's Rangers Standing Orders:

"When returning from a scout, use a different path as the enemy may have seen you leave and will wait for your return to attack when you're tired."

Next time, request that the boat tie off on one of those moorings on the northern end of Bloody Bay Wall, the ones where the boat will be near the reef over the deep blue. That way when he descends he won't hit any coral until around the 900 foot depth!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah I remember reading that on here.

Sadly, it's a fact, you ain't lyin'. I've seen divers with hundreds of dives under their weight belt crash, plow or bounce their way through coral. Self-proclaimed experienced divers, but yet they seem so oblivious. You can't help but shake your head in amused disbelief.

I overheard another diver during a SI on a dive boat state he had to hold onto the coral in order to steady himself to catch a good photo.

I overheard another diver during a SI on a dive boat state he had to hold onto the coral in order to steady himself to catch a good photo.

That is unfortunately so very common it is ging photographers a bad name.:shakehead:

That is unfortunately so very common it is ging photographers a bad name.:shakehead:

The vast majority of these people are not photographers ... they're underwater tourists with cameras ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom