Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The perfect plug for your o2 bottle din valve is your deco reg.

I only take mine off for fills and rebuilds. Of course, most of that is fresh water diving, if you are doing salt water you could unthread more often I suppose.

I don't mind using the same pressure gauges for everything, all of my tanks are reasonably clean and the air is too, but I primarily use the button gauges on the deco reg as a "reasonably full" or "reasonably empty" indicator.

Thank you everyone for the extremely helpful replies and insights ... greatly appreciated!

If anyone else out there has their own take on this, different or same, I’d love to hear it! Thanks all!

Another thing we like to do this side of the world is have reg boxes, more than bags (just more robust). Like a small toolbox size basically. And then ideally keep a dedicated 'O2' box, so that your deco regs go in there. Then write it in big letters on top. This 1. just avoids accidental grabbing of the wrong reg etc. And keeps prying hands away (hopefully). As often on a busy beach/boat you can have a novice diver wanting to check air and they grab the nearest reg.

All depends on the situation, and all of these are IMO 'EXTRA' steps for the lesser likely situations.

I was also a little hesitant on the high O2 part, but rather stay on the safer side and all should be good. Like someone has said, you will find people either side of the line...but best not to push the limits that really don't need pushing.

Again as it has been said and as you will learn, the second you pass air through that reg from an 'uncleaned' tank, its done and needs to be re-cleaned. Same goes for air top ups. We often will pump a 100 or and 80 to use for a dive, and then top up with air for the next dive (if minimal is used on the deco plan), giving you 72s or 50 etc. etc. In this case the compressor MUST be O2 compatible/cleaned, or you need to add a filter (Which is what we typically do as not all compressors are clean).

And don't make the mistake of taking your deco reg to check twins pressure :D I almost did that...its so intuitive coming from rec to just grab a reg and check the pressure. Hence my earlier point. Its not always the novice, but the idiot inside yourself some days o_O

Same goes for your deco/stage cylinder then...only filled from clean sources, else it too needs a re clean.

Good luck on your course, I am sure you will have a great time! (Was going to write have a blast, but probably not the best for this thread :D)

Another thing we like to do this side of the world is have reg boxes, more than bags (just more robust). Like a small toolbox size basically. And then ideally keep a dedicated 'O2' box, so that your deco regs go in there. Then write it in big letters on top. This 1. just avoids accidental grabbing of the wrong reg etc. And keeps prying hands away (hopefully). As often on a busy beach/boat you can have a novice diver wanting to check air and they grab the nearest reg.

All depends on the situation, and all of these are IMO 'EXTRA' steps for the lesser likely situations.

I was also a little hesitant on the high O2 part, but rather stay on the safer side and all should be good. Like someone has said, you will find people either side of the line...but best not to push the limits that really don't need pushing.

Again as it has been said and as you will learn, the second you pass air through that reg from an 'uncleaned' tank, its done and needs to be re-cleaned. Same goes for air top ups. We often will pump a 100 or and 80 to use for a dive, and then top up with air for the next dive (if minimal is used on the deco plan), giving you 72s or 50 etc. etc. In this case the compressor MUST be O2 compatible/cleaned, or you need to add a filter (Which is what we typically do as not all compressors are clean).
-
And don't make the mistake of taking your deco reg to check twins pressure :D I almost did that...its so intuitive coming from rec to just grab a reg and check the pressure. Hence my earlier point. Its not always the novice, but the idiot inside yourself some days o_O

Same goes for your deco/stage cylinder then...only filled from clean sources, else it too needs a re clean.

Good luck on your course, I am sure you will have a great time! (Was going to write have a blast, but probably not the best for this thread :D)
You are acting like OC gas is filthy. Its really easy to make OCA though. You reg is not going to get contaminated in an instant (or at all actually) by putting it on your doubles

You are acting like OC gas is filthy. Its really easy to make OCA though. You reg is not going to get contaminated in an instant (or at all actually) by putting it on your doubles

I get what you are saying, but as it has been said here, the rules have been put in place and have been 'written in blood' as issues have happened. So although I "Agree" with you, realistically, no one can tell me that they know 100% for sure that the gas/filling/whatever other procedure is 100% safe to use with O2 clean equipment unless the compressor/doubles are O2 clean/compatible. Else why the hell would we be wasting our time? Unless you are checking on a checmical/micro (not sure at what level one would check for this :D??)....which I doubt anyone is.

Yes...I guess the main issues are with oils always.. but I also guess that the clever people on this subject had to draw the line in the sand somewhere.

Will driving my car past its service..like old oil, fuel filter etc destroy it every time? Probably not...but there is proof that regular service, fresh oil yadda yadda extends the life of the engine. Just like maintaining the O2 regimes as depicted by many has shown (from what I know) that it is safer than not doing it.

There is a reason why we have the ideas to keep O2 clean stuff, O2 clean.

As we have said, people will wander either side of that line in the sand...its up to everyone to draw their own conclusions, as it is their life. Just please don't put someone else's life in jeopardy.

But I agree more with you overall, and with what has been said here, that not all regs remain perfectly clean for the full year...because they are working devices and are exposed to a variety of items at the end of the day I guess.

So again, its not so much about hard fact IMO, but more about mitigating as much of the risk as possible....I think that last line sums it up more than anything.

Good Afternoon All,

First post on ScubaBoard ... yay! I'm in the process of tec training, and have a handful of questions regarding Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle care. Of course, this is something I'll learn more about in my courses and will discuss with my instructor, but I've also been doing a bunch of research to understand this nebulous topic as best I can (including reading many ScubaBoard threads) -- just curious to get the opinions of you experienced folks on this board as data points. Especially interested in the opinions of any trained O2 equipment service techs.

Please forgive my super detailed questions, but I've gotten paranoid reading all about O2 and I'm also an engineer, so I can't help it :)

(1) 100% O2 Deco Bottle Tank Valve.
  • Assuming a slow flow rate, is it safe to use a DIN pressure gauge to check tank pressure? Seems this could introduce contamination if the same gauge is used on other tanks. Dedicated gauge for O2 tank? Or perhaps just check pressure via SPG once reg is attached?
  • Similar to above, safe to use standard O2 analyzer that's been used on other (e.g. nitrox premix) tanks? Since it's not being screwed in, there's less opportunity to contaminate the tank valve. On the other hand, an analyzer used with Nitrox is sitting around and exposed to dust and the like.
  • Probably makes sense to cap the valve when not in use to prevent contamination. Maybe a stupid question, but I'd assume DIN valve screw-in caps wouldn't contain any material that's a no-no for O2? These valve caps (inserts) have also been sitting around in a non-pristine environment, so does using them present a contamination risk to the valve?
(2) O2 Regulator
  • Aside from meticulously following the usual practices [rinsing/keeping inlet covered/etc], are there any post-dive best practices beyond caring for a standard regulator? I assume bagging the reg after it's dry?
  • Assuming you'll inevitably get a splash/drip of salt water on the DIN connector/threads and/or the O2 tank valve, is it safe to wipe off with fresh water and wipe with lint free cloth? Or is that introducing additional contamination?
  • Seems to be conflicting opinions (shocker, I know) on how "O2 clean" the LP side of the regulator needs to be. LP hose exposed to environment (not capped) but also brand new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... need O2 cleaning before use? SPG (HP) exposed to the environment (not capped) but also new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... connector need any kind of cleaning?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their take on all of this. I greatly appreciate your time and insights!
Hello. Welcome to the board. I appreciate your approach, and analytical mind.
Sometimes, we put a lot of stock into a procedure, and over think.
Although, to a small degree, as soon as you use O2 clean equipment there is degradation. I suggest using dedicated regulators, and bottles and keeping them labeled, protected, and as clean as possible.
Cheers.
View media item 209702Oxygen Clean - Is a Myth • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Bart Bjorkman
View media item 209938

The perfect plug for your o2 bottle din valve is your deco reg.

I wonder what that does to the durability of the o-rings in the reg. My LDS recommended me to o2-clean the interior of the reg and use o2-compatible grease only, but they don't replace the o-rings with Viton anymore because of quality issues. IIRC replacing the o-rings is not about fire (Viton burns in O2 as well), but about durability (Nitrile degrades faster than Viton in O2). This is relevant for industrial applications where the o-rings are in pure O2 atmosphere 24/7. But as long as you don't keep your reg on the bottle when stored and service your regs regularly, there shouldn't be much of a difference between Viton and Nitrile, right?

I get what you are saying, but as it has been said here, the rules have been put in place and have been 'written in blood' as issues have happened. So although I "Agree" with you, realistically, no one can tell me that they know 100% for sure that the gas/filling/whatever other procedure is 100% safe to use with O2 clean equipment unless the compressor/doubles are O2 clean/compatible. Else why the hell would we be wasting our time? Unless you are checking on a checmical/micro (not sure at what level one would check for this :D??)....which I doubt anyone is.

I have news for you. "O2 clean" is: 1) not necessarily o2 compatible. The seats in valves are nylon and combustible not matter how clean they are and, 2) definitely 100% assurance that you won't have an o2 fire. There are many other sources of ignition beyond hydrocarbons.

Compressors are NEVER o2 compatible or clean. Even an oilless Rix is not intended for use with 100% o2 as the compression ratios and heat are dangerous.

You're waving the danger flag about non-OCA gas when that is not really the major risk. Since its very easy to remove hydrocarbons from air.

I have news for you. "O2 clean" is: 1) not necessarily o2 compatible. The seats in valves are nylon and combustible not matter how clean they are and, 2) definitely 100% assurance that you won't have an o2 fire. There are many other sources of ignition beyond hydrocarbons.

Compressors are NEVER o2 compatible or clean. Even an oilless Rix is not intended for use with 100% o2 as the compression ratios and heat are dangerous.

You're waving the danger flag about non-OCA gas when that is not really the major risk. Since its very easy to remove hydrocarbons from air.
Look I am no expert, its just what I know as a beginner in the tech side of the world. But your last sentence sounds like it is contradicting itself? So please elaborate so myself and I am sure others can understand more. You say non-OCA gas, but then say its easy to remove hydro carbons? So what is in the twinset as I would like to understand more. Is it cleaned air or not?

Lets say you have a twinset pumped with normal air (not any other filtering besides the standard - molecular sieve and carbon filter as the basis). You are saying that poses no risk to transfer "dangerous elements" (lets call it to generalise, but yes hydro carbons being the one to focus on) to the reg, and thus when using the reg again with my 100% O2 filled stage, it is not adding to the risk? --->> And if this is what you are saying (I mean you said it earlier on if I am not mistaken) then why are most being taught this as far as I know i.e. to never use clean regs on uncleaned cylinders/valves....trying to figure out here if there is any merrit in what you are saying or if you are one of the ones further on the riskier side :D:eek:o_O

This is not my understanding, but I could be wrong, I am new to this too.

Obviously a stage is primarily O2 cleaned for the sake of what is being filled in there - so that much makes sense. But a twinset typically would never have higher than 40% O2 anyways. Hence the thought that hydro carbons are present, and you or anyone else as mentioned before realistically has no way of knowing what that effect has on an O2 cleaned reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom