Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And again, just adding to my main one liner from my other post, the point here is to reduce risk. Why would you want to increase your risk without reason by attaching to a cylinder that is uncleaned and has uncleaned air.

Realistically, alone a finger touching your deco reg could transfer hydro carbons...so the risks are everywhere and difficult to mitigate. My point being that there is no need to add to that risk when its easy enough to grab another reg...thats all. My 2c.

Hello. Welcome to the board. I appreciate your approach, and analytical mind.
Sometimes, we put a lot of stock into a procedure, and over think.
Although, to a small degree, as soon as you use O2 clean equipment there is degradation. I suggest using dedicated regulators, and bottles and keeping them labeled, protected, and as clean as possible.
Cheers.
View media item 209702Oxygen Clean - Is a Myth • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Bart Bjorkman
View media item 209938
Hi BB

I have to say, you do keep your kit in impeccable condition. A shining example to all us slackers out there.

Hello. Welcome to the board. I appreciate your approach, and analytical mind.
Sometimes, we put a lot of stock into a procedure, and over think.
Although, to a small degree, as soon as you use O2 clean equipment there is degradation. I suggest using dedicated regulators, and bottles and keeping them labeled, protected, and as clean as possible.
Cheers.
View media item 209702Oxygen Clean - Is a Myth • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Bart Bjorkman
View media item 209938
Funny. Your photo is probably the absolute most dangerous thing to do with an oxygen bottle, stand it up on a tailgate. As soon as it gets knocked over and shears the valve off it turns into a ballistic missile.
A shop worker In cave country was killed when an oxygen bottle on the back of a tailgate hit the ground.
So your photo actually ended up being a good example for discussion.

Funny. Your photo is probably the absolute most dangerous thing to do with an oxygen bottle, stand it up on a tailgate. As soon as it gets knocked over and shears the valve off it turns into a ballistic missile.
A shop worker In cave country was killed when an oxygen bottle on the back of a tailgate hit the ground.
So your photo actually ended up being a good example for discussion.
Hey, @rddvet How are you? Thank God.....you brought that too my attention. I've been known to do stupid things. Guys like you are extremely helpful on S.B. I love the D.I.R. attitude....there really isn't any other way to be. :wink:
Actually, I woke up on a fine sunny morning in Florida. A friend of mine, (that works at a Hydro shop.) and, I decided to get together and O2 clean all 3 valves, bottles, First stages, Second stages, and SPG's. (Even the hoses.....which is probably completely unnecessary.) Everything was brand new. (The bottles were empty.) We broke everything down, and began the process. I am so meticulous....that it's border line insane.
I went back to Georgia, to get my stage kits, and labels for the tanks, and after affixing the U.N. labels, and stage rigging....I decided to set them on my truck for photo purposes ( No less than 6 angles.) and also for my records. (The bottles were empty.) The rigging was attached mainly for ease of carry into the facility to be filled.
I have been working with hazardous materials off, and on for 25 years. Everything from Propane, Sulfuric acid, Propylene, to Carbon dioxide. (Many much more volatile than Oxygen.) Propylene has a double bond which gives it a combustion advantage.(Did I mention......the bottles were empty.)
I'm probably in the 10% or less that even put U.N. labels on S.C.U.B.A. tanks. I personally like to communicate the risk. I sincerely appreciate your input.
Please P.M. me (1) article per month pertaining to the misuse of oxygen bottles. I'm constantly adding notes, and pertinent information in my Disaster management file.
Here's a photo off the bottles laying down.....so, you can sleep well at night knowing I'm conscientious, and doing the right thing.
View media item 209700(The bottles were empty.)
Cheers. :cheers:

Hey, @rddvet How are you? Thank God.....you brought that too my attention. I've been known to do stupid things. Guys like you are extremely helpful on S.B. I love the D.I.R. attitude....there really isn't any other way to be. :wink:
Actually, I woke up on a fine sunny morning in Florida. A friend of mine, (that works at a Hydro shop.) and, I decided to get together and O2 clean all 3 valves, bottles, First stages, Second stages, and SPG's. (Even the hoses.....which is probably completely unnecessary.) Everything was brand new. (The bottles were empty.) We broke everything down, and began the process. I am so meticulous....that it's border line insane.
I went back to Georgia, to get my stage kits, and labels for the tanks, and after affixing the U.N. labels, and stage rigging....I decided to set them on my truck for photo purposes ( No less than 6 angles.) and also for my records. (The bottles were empty.) The rigging was attached mainly for ease of carry into the facility to be filled.
I have been working with hazardous materials off, and on for 25 years. Everything from Propane, Sulfuric acid, Propylene, to Carbon dioxide. (Many much more volatile than Oxygen.) Propylene has a double bond which gives it a combustion advantage.(Did I mention......the bottles were empty.)
I'm probably in the 10% or less that even put U.N. labels on S.C.U.B.A. tanks. I personally like to communicate the risk. I sincerely appreciate your input.
Please P.M. me (1) article per month pertaining to the misuse of oxygen bottles. I'm constantly adding notes, and pertinent information in my Disaster management file.
Here's a photo off the bottles laying down.....so, you can sleep well at night knowing I'm conscientious, and doing the right thing.

No need to turn prickly. I was actually being serious that it’s a good example. There’s no way to have known they were empty prior to you stating it. Either way bottles like to fall over. I’ve bent a manifold, crushed a second stage, and I’m sure a few other things. It seems when I think bottles are secure they fall over. There was a well known death here in cave country with an oxygen bottle and a tailgate, so your photo served as a point of learning. I see people standing oxygen bottles on tailgates often and it makes me cringe. Your personal training plays not part in it. This is a thread on best practices with oxygen and you posted a photo of something potentially dangerous so I pointed it out. Re-reading my quick initial response it may have come off negatively but it wasn’t intended. It was actually a good photo to point out a safety issue more people should keep in mind.

I was just pulling your leg, but your last statement was, " (The bottles were empty.)
Cheers. :cheers:"

Hello. Not seeing an S.P.G. anywhere in the photo of question.

Here's a photo off the bottles laying down.....so, you can sleep well at night knowing I'm conscientious, and doing the right thing....
  • full.jpg
  • (The bottles were empty.)

Hi
I can see that the mouthpieces are touching the ground and you may have a buccal contamination which might lead to a discharge of methane in your dry suit...bad bad bad :) :) :)

Moderator's Edit

relax. it was a joke about being anal on o2 cleaning and not a personal attack:cheers:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom