Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's simply don't work on your regs and your cars engine on the same bench with the same tools at the same time
and air through one filter is plenty clean enough, just make sure your PMV is working good

Do yourself a favor and go through your dive spare parts kit and get rid of any non O2 compatible parts if all you carry is viton orings and O2 compatible lube you will never grab the wrong stuff.

When I work on a reg I follow all O2 clean steps and practices it keeps all of my tools clean my practice standard and gives me that feeling that I am doing the best I can do during a service.

As to din caps get either the vented plastic caps or if you want to use a sealing cap get one with a pushbutton gas release incase the valve gets opened accidentally.
Completely agree about having no non-O2 stuff in the kit (only tribolube and Viton orings in mine)...but.....what about tools.

How do you clean tools for O2? Most tools come from the factory 'lubricated' with god knows what to stop unsightly rust before they are sold. Even if they dont - the process of making them usually puts greases on them. So how are folks cleaning tools - eg wrenchs, hex keys etc?

Also - I've have had water get into my tool box and some of the tools rust. I clean the rust off with dry, lint free rags, then wash the tools in Simple Green and then rinse. Thoughts?

As I understand it rust itsnt of itself a risk in 100% O2 environment (apart from looking bad).

You can wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol BUT no wrench or allen key is really in the O2 path of anything anyway. The exception is the bullet tool used to insert piston orings into a scubapro.

Of course if you work on your greasy pickup truck on Saturday you should probably wash those wrenches before using them on Sunday. But otherwise just put them in your reg maintenance drawer

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom