Best place to buy 5’ hose for Apex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I have an Apex regulator (1/2” MP), where is the best place to purchase a hose kit or the hoses individually? Last weekend I was playing the OOA diver for someone testing a long hose configuration. Having never tried it before, I was amazed at how well it worked. In order to try it out for myself I need to buy a hose kit.

Thanks,
Mike

I put the long hose on the 3/8th port (where my octo was) and kept my original primary hose. :mean:

Overall I would recommend getting a plug for the 1/2" port and forgetting it is there, it does not help anything. Then just get a standard hose. If it ever goes bad on a dive it will be much easier to get a standard hose to save the dive than an apeks 1/2" one. You can also get an adapter that takes the port to the standard size. I have one of these also in case the plug ever comes out or gets lost etc.

Tommy

MikeS,

Glad to hear see your open-mindedness! :) The 5' hose in the 3/8" flavor is probably the most popular and easy to find. As Tommy wrote above, you can pick up the 1/2" hose from FifthD. If you choose to go with the 3/8", EE would probably get you the hose quicker (3 days ground). If you want to try locally, give Sea Ventures (Annandale) or Atlantic Edge (Gaithersburg) a try.

The Dive Shop out in Fairfax has 1/2" blanking plugs for the Apeks. Give them a call ahead of time and ask for Matt Harlon in the repair area. He's got a stash in the back. Might be worth the stop on your next trip to Millbrook. They may have the long hose in stock also.

Before you go with the 5' hose, check the "fit". Judging from your stature, you may want to go with a 7' hose. The 5' hose I use is a little snug on me.

Good luck with your hunt. Between O-ring and myself, we've probably got enough spare parts to pursuade you even further. Let us know if we can help.

Ken

Ken,
What size are you?

I am about to try the 5' hose. I am 5' 11" and 155lbs.

I will not be carrying a canister light so it is 5' or 6'.

Advice appreciated.

Ben,

Thanks, ordered the hose from 5thD hope to see it soon.

divernva once bubbled...
MikeS,

Glad to hear see your open-mindedness!
Ken

Ken,

My open mindedness is only exceeded by my hard headedness. I tried it, I like it, I want it! Both you and O-ring stay away from me with those BB and wings, :eek:ut: I’m trying to save money for the dry-suit and I know if I try a BB and wings I’ll have to have one, and there goes the dry-suit fund!

Grajan,

I’m also 5’ 11”, but the last time I saw 155 pounds was twenty-five years ago “making weight” in high school. I’ll let you know how things go.

Thanks,
Mike

Reviving an old thread but I have another misunderstanding.

I have an ATX200 primary and ATX40 secondary. I am planning to switch to the 5' primary hose and would like to drop to 3/8" rather than 1/2".

What do you do about the 1/2" port on the reg? It does not seem like a good place to put an adapter.

In fact - looking at my current (conventional) setup the primary hose appears to be 1/2" - 1/2" and the secondart hose appears to be 1/2" (reg side) - 3/8".

Can somebody unravel this for me...

Thanks

Grajan once bubbled...
What do you do about the 1/2" port on the reg? It does not seem like a good place to put an adapter.

In fact - looking at my current (conventional) setup the primary hose appears to be 1/2" - 1/2" and the secondart hose appears to be 1/2" (reg side) - 3/8".

Can somebody unravel this for me...

Thanks

Hi Graham,

Well, contrary to the way it seems to you, an adapter is no problem at all. The ATX200 has four low pressure ports, three of which are 3/8", and IMHO, they ALL should be 3/8".

Unfortunately, I don't know of a place to get an adapter on-line, but the part is just a bit bigger than a port plug, and allows you to use a 3/8" hose on your primary port (which is 1/2") like you want to do. Just ask at your LDS and they should either have the part, or be able to order it.

Regarding your current setup, it's possible that your reg came with backup on the 1/2" port and the primary on a 3/8", but really once you get the adapter, it doesn't matter which port any of them come out of.

I'd wager that after a bit of practice, you're going to like the long-hose. :)

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Rick

Thanks for the info.

That makes the primary end no problem but what size are the ports on the secondaries? I thought they were 1/2" as well.

If they are 3/8" this all becomes very easy.

sorry if I am being obtuse. I am a bit hung-over today and not thinking very clearly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom