Best Place for a Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been together for a few years so really it is just a holiday - we won't want to be cooped up in the honeymoon suite all day and all night so a lively place is what we are looking for.

O-ring - I think that Bonaire sounds very much like Cozumel. Diving was good there but nothing like the Solomons - it just didn't have that spectacular, awesome feel to it. That's why I am thinking that while Bonaire would be ok we would probably feel the same as you about the place.

Truk, the Solomons and PNG are all places that I would like to spend a lot of time in (living and diving) but I haven't worked out how to do this yet!

Scuba_katt - We lived in Brisbane for 3 years so have dived on the East side of Oz. We plan to go back to see friends there later in the year and so a trip to WA is on for then, although as you say the whale sharks will have gone by then.

An obvious choice for Europeans is the Maldives / Seychelles / Mauritius area but again I fear that these places are a bit over dived + commercialized. Zanzibar is another option along with Madagascar and these seem to be a bit more unspoilt - although of course this is often travelspeek for 'no facilities whatsoever' and 'expect severe difficulty in trying to organise a dive'.

There is of course one wreck option for Brits in our Summer - Scapa Flow. Dry suit diving off the Orkney Islands. I'm going to try to get up there this year for a week and see if it is as good as they say. No tropical fish and lazing on the varandah up there though!

I'll keep you posted...

Mark

I just got back from my friends post-vacation party and we watched a 2-hour video of all the footage he and his wife shot on the Galapagos Aggressor (they went in Dec 2002). This is in no way an exaggeration...his trip made my recent Bonaire trip look like a quarry dive.

The life was so amazing it defies description. It was like watching Blue Planet on the Discovery channel. Penguins, sea lions, schooling Hammerheads (there must have been at least 1000), turtles everywhere, rays, giant eels, etc. etc. I was floored... I have never seen diving like that before and have added it to my list of must see places.. Look at the video on the site...it looked just like that on his video.

http://www.galapagos-aggressor.com/

We have been in a few places already (Red Sea, Maldives, Bahamas, Cozumel, and Galapagos)... And the winner is...........
GALAPAGOS!!!
Hands down... I mean, there's really no comparison with anything else I've seen...
Check out my trip report at http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1824

Now, I must admit that Maldives topside are more romantic (although it really depends on what you find romantic: uninhabited islands in the middle of emerald lagoons with white sand and palm trees, i.e. Maldives, or uninhabited island with volcanic rocks, no vegetation at all (or very little), sea lions, igunanas and boobies, i.e. Galapagos :wink: )

Also, there are some romantic places that we haven't been to, including French Polynesia, which sounds like a decent spot as well :D

Looks amazing!

Zeina

Just lost a long post that included praise of your report.....

..so I'll just cut to the main question which is -

How would you compare the maldives against the Galapagos islands on a total holiday score?

GI looks like a fair old effort + expensive.

Thanks
Mark

I would give Galapagos a much better rating...

When we went to the Maldives (2 week liveaboard), we just loved it, and saw BEAUTIFUL stuff (including most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen), and had a great and relaxing overall time, for about $2,800 pp (from France).
For that kind of money, I would return to the Maldives anytime...
Preferably in a few years when the hard corals have regrown though... But the soft corals and the fishies (and sharkies) easily make up for it...

When we went to Galapagos, it was more... dramatic. Not at all the "paradise island" kind of landscape... Very, very special... and closer to $5,000 pp... (1 week on the Aggressor + 1 week land-based)
I was thinking:
- OMG, I am SO lucky to see this
- and why the heck did I wait until age 28 to see it??? (simple answer: no way I could afford it before that)
- OK, we will need to come back here REAL soon...
- Oh, and, I want to adopt a sealion :D

To be honest, the fact that we were more experienced divers when we went to Galapagos has probably helped us appreciate things better... AND we were flying out of Philadelphia, which is not too bad distance wise. Even though Maldives has some pretty memorable current, Galapagos diving conditions are much rougher, with current, low vis and rather cold water. I wouldn't say Galapagos is a relaxing vacation... We were SO excited all the time!!!

Bottom line: If you can afford Galapagos, just go there!! it is a truely unbelievable experience.

Either way, you will have a grand time :)

Let me know if you have other questions, I would be glad to try and help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom