Best Place and Time to See Loggerheads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

I am not a salesman but I do work on a dive boat... I dive in Jupiter every week and see loggerheads more often than not.

Temptation DM - -- OH my.. could this be?.....

NAw probably the other one.

Orlando Eric:
Temptation DM - -- OH my.. could this be?.....

NAw probably the other one.
I saw this thread and I had to let you know that you are diving in the right location Ft pierce inlet park is the best place to see hawksbill and green sea turtles, Loggerheads
sometimes and once a year we get to see leatherbacks. the leatherback turtle is the second largest reptile in the world second only to the salt water crocodile. From now till the end of april you have a great chance to run into one of these giants, they can grow as large as 10ft in length and weigh as much as 2000 lbs. Ft pierce Inlet Park will be starting their turtle watch in a couple of weeks Here is the number to call to get more info: 772-468-3985. Ill see ya there since this is one of my favorite dives. If you happen to see any of my turtle friends please let me know because i wouldnt want to miss them. Hope this helps!

Mattar:
SNIP... where and when is the best time to see Loggerhead Turtles in Florida?
We watch various turtles (all kinds) lay nights during summer in Lauderdale by the Sea, but you can see them in the water most of the year. I saw one (green) last week.

I think 2 of the 6 turtles we saw laying were loggerheads last season.

If it's this kind of activity you seek, then I would suggest planning to visit in June or early July. I suggest Lauderdale by the Sea for two reasons - they appear frequently here (several a night) and you can find a reasonable-priced place to stay right near the beach where they lay.

Plan on sitting on the beach from 10PM to 3 or 4 in the morning. No fires are permitted, but there's a 7/11 right up the street (at Datura and A1A) and the nights are moderate that time of year.

Be quiet and don't use flash cameras or even uncovered lights. We normally cover flashlights with red plastic to diffuse the light, but even then we don't flash them while they're climbing or nesting. Half-formed nests, where people disturbed the turtle before she could lay - are common, unfortunately. You see pictures all the time of people posing with laying turtles, but I'll bet they disturbed the laying and the turtle may not have had another opportunity. That just plain sucks.

If you are looking for turtles in the water, I think the most I've seen consistently on dives have been off of West Palm Beach or in the Keys. I see a lot locally in the Lauderdale area, but then I'm in the water here a lot.

temptation_dm:
I am not a salesman but I do work on a dive boat... I dive in Jupiter every week and see loggerheads more often than not.

:monkeydan woohoooo!!!! Glad to see ya made it on Kimberly!!!!!

(sorry for hi-jacking this thread)

Hey, the only thing with diving in Fort Pierce to check out the turtle is the visibilty is usually pretty sucky (like, your lucky to be able to see inside your own mask :D ).... I have never dove in Jupiter that I haven't seen at least one big Ol' girl sitting up on the reef. My recommendation would be to go to Jupiter.. This viz is usually much better.

Hey, if ya'll do come down, make sure to let us know, there's a pretty good chance we'll have something going on and can make it a SB event (firm believers in proper welcomes) :wink:

I just finished drafting my next "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper column about loggerheads and it will be posted on my web site early this week. My understanding is they begin mating in March and may lay eggs as late as September. I saw and filmed a huge one (4-5 ft) at Molasses Reef while I was in Florida last month.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom