Best Octos! Suggestions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having the same type for both primary and octopus makes the most sense to me too. Thanks, everyone for your input. :D

Doc Intrepid:
Agree with Northeastwrecks. Whatever you buy for your primary regulator (and you cannot go wrong with Atomics, they make great regs) simply buy a second 2nd stage of the same thing. Same 2nd, same color, same everything. You won't regret it.

I have the B2 as a primary and a "Air Source" as my octo. I have never had to use it, but I have tested it several times at different depths. It breaths okay. Well enough to get to the surface anyways.

Check out Atomic's other lines of Regs.

Click here for a direct link--------->[red]Atomic Aquatics[/red]

I've got the Ti2, or "I love my buddy" safe second. Works just as well as my M1 primary, but I'll eventually change it out for an M1 safe second when I decide to get my nitrox cert. simply because I'll be able to switch between air or nitrox without needing a dedicated regulator set.

Whoa, I just ordered an Atomic B2 and a Ti2. So the Ti2 is not Nitrox ready out the box? Damn, if this is true, I might as well get the M1 safe second.

sauga:
I've got the Ti2, or "I love my buddy" safe second. Works just as well as my M1 primary, but I'll eventually change it out for an M1 safe second when I decide to get my nitrox cert. simply because I'll be able to switch between air or nitrox without needing a dedicated regulator set.

All the Atomic stuff is up Nitrox factory ready for up to 40% Nitrox. The M1 is factory ready for up to 50% and can go to 80%.

I don't think there's any difference between the Ti2 and B2 as far as the 2nd stage is concerned other than the logo on the purge cover.

android:
All the Atomic stuff is up Nitrox factory ready for up to 40% Nitrox. The M1 is factory ready for up to 50% and can go to 80%.

I don't think there's any difference between the Ti2 and B2 as far as the 2nd stage is concerned other than the logo on the purge cover.
They are all ready up to 40% out of the box. I think that the titanium may be confused with not being permitted for use above 40%. Recreational nitrox is fine.
Even still the second stagesare only coming into contact with low perssure gas, which is not an oxygen hazard.

Actually, what I was getting at was you can switch between nitrox or air without having to get the regulator re-cleaned with the M1. In my owners manual it says under T1(x),B1,Z1 "At time of purchase, you must decide if this regulator is to be used with EAN or standard compressed air. If you desire to use EAN, this product must be dedicated for EAN use only and identified as such." Under M1 ONLY, "The M1 may be used interchangeably with air or EAN mixes up to 50% oxygen concentration at 3500 psi maxiumum." So, what I was getting at was in order to use one regulator set with either air or EAN, I would need to add the M1 safe second. I got the Ti2 because it was in stock and has a two year service interval like the M1. Live and learn...

See pages 9-10
Atomics Manual

John

I had a Scubapro MK25 (balanced high volume 1st stage), S600 primary second stage(balanced/adjustable) and R390 octo (unbalanced/non-adjustable). I tried the Seaquest Air Source combined power inflator/octo and didn't like it. The power inflator and BC hose were very stiff. If I turned my head a little, and didn't bite down on the mouth piece VERY hard, it wanted to spring out of my mouth. I also tried the "flat" octos by Sherwood and Aqualung. It felt like I was trying to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose (OK maybe I am spoiled with the Scubapros). I ended up selling all of them on Ebay and going back to the R390 octo.

This spring I purchased an X650 for my MK25, moved the S600 to the octo position on a yellow 40" hose, and retired the R390. Now I can increase the cracking pressure on the S600 when it hangs on my BCD (to prevent freeflows). If I need to use the S600, I just turn the tuning knob in and make it an "easy breather" again. The point is that my S600 "octo" is as good as my primary X650, so it doesn't matter which regulator I breath from. This may not sound like a big deal, until you are down deep huffin-n-puffing thick air on a cheap, detuned, non-adjustable octo (been there and done that in training).

In short don't cheap out on the octo, if you get mugged for your primary by a panicked out-of-air diver, you'll be the one breathing from that octo you "saved a few bucks on". Even if things go by the book in an OOA situation, and you give them your octo, the chances are you'll be diving with a friend or loved one (in my case the wife and/or son). I want the best life support system possible for myself, family and dive buddies.

I carried the same theory forward to my pony rig (yea, I know about the pony debate) and have a Mk20 and S600 for my 19 ft3 bottle. I keep the tank valve on during the dive and increase the cracking pressure on the S600 to the max until needed (again to avoid free flows). Just my $.02 worth.

DISCLAIMER AND NOTE TO FLAMERS: This is not to say that any of the products mentioned above were not safe to use. They all worked as designed and I would not hesitate to use them in a pinch. This is also not intended to be an advertisement for Scubapro. It's just what I use. Most of the major product lines of dive gear have adjustable second stages. IHMO I feel that an adjustable octo to be the best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom