Best Octos! Suggestions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guymenton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi people. I'm just starting out in the sport, newly certified, looking to make my 1st reg purchase. I've read so much great advice on this forum, and I've decided to go with the Atomic B2, and I like the configuration of a 7' long primary, and short octo bungied under the chin, that is frequently mentioned.

Naturally, for this setup, in an OOA, I'll be the one relying on the octo, so the octo should be as good as my primary, and not some cheap afterthought. So, for people who dive this configuration, can you tell me what octo you are using? Much thanks! :D

I don't dive a Hog rig, but agree with your reasoning. I have a Zeagle ZX for both primary and octo. Several friends love the Atomics. Enjoy , and dive safe.

guymenton:
Hi people. I'm just starting out in the sport, newly certified, looking to make my 1st reg purchase. I've read so much great advice on this forum, and I've decided to go with the Atomic B2, and I like the configuration of a 7' long primary, and short octo bungied under the chin, that is frequently mentioned.

Naturally, for this setup, in an OOA, I'll be the one relying on the octo, so the octo should be as good as my primary, and not some cheap afterthought. So, for people who dive this configuration, can you tell me what octo you are using? Much thanks! :D
Personally, I like staying with one brand on both seconds and keeping the model as close as possible. This has two advantages: 1. They should be pretty close on feel/function and 2. you don't have to worry about IP issues.

The only thing I do is basicly step down a model so that the back up doesn't have a flow adjustment knob and detune it so it is less likely to freeflow. Only problem with that is that some manufacturers will not allow you to buy just a second, unless it is one of their cheaper made octo seconds. I'm not sure if Atomic allows this or not. If not, you could always buy two complete regulators and stick the other first stage in a drawer until you need it for doubles or an H-valve.

If you can afford it, the best solution to this issue is to buy two of the same type of 2nd stages.

Forget about "octo" thinking. Instead, you have two full service 2nd stages attached to your 1st stage.

My back up reg is just as good as my primary.

Primary is Apeks ATX50 and the back up is the Apeks TX50

I used to have one of those air2 things as my octo and I advise against it. Search the board for lots of reasons why people don't like them.

Now my 'octo' is the same as my primary. ATX50 for both. The only difference is that my backup is yellow. I like this setup because I don't have to compromise anything when I switch to my backup.

APEKS ATX50 primary and octo. Put yourself on the receiving side. Would you want to breath off some $20.00 octo???

ShakaZulu:
APEKS ATX50 primary and octo. Put yourself on the receiving side. Would you want to breath off some $20.00 octo???
guymenton:
I've decided to go with the Atomic B2, and I like the configuration of a 7' long primary, and short octo bungied under the chin, that is frequently mentioned.
Naturally, for this setup, in an OOA, I'll be the one relying on the octo, so the octo should be as good as my primary, and not some cheap afterthought.
hmm.....
Anyways, if I could say anything I would say to get an octo of the same brand name. I don't know how many people I have seen with mismatched stuff and they havetorun to different places to service their entire setup.
Save yourself the aggravation.
I would say that all off th second stages in the Atomics line-up are nothing short or reliable. So take your pick. If money is not an issue, go for the M1 with the heat sink if you are in cold water. Otherwise anything else Atomic will be fine....

Get an Atomic Z1 octo (with an M1 vent).

On my doubles, my primary and backup are both ATX200's. On my singles rig, I use a DS4 first stage and matched ATX50's. On my older singles rig, I've got a Beuchat VX10 Iceberg Evolution with an ATX50 for backup.

I'm a big fan of matching the primary and backup regs, especially since I'll be the one breathing it in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom