Best Mask Defog ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a commercial mask defogging product. We just spit. One helpful tip: if (when.) it does fog up a bit pull the skirt away from your cheek to partially flood it, look down, look side to side, and clear it normally. Had to teach that to a few new divers, they don't teach the basics in school anymore.

I m surprised nobody mentioned toothpaste. Much better than baby shampoo imo, rinses off much better and does not leave any smell in the mask

Reactions: Doc
I m surprised nobody mentioned toothpaste. Much better than baby shampoo imo, rinses off much better and does not leave any smell in the mask
Works too well
and
costs nothing

(a recipe for universal aversion)

Toothpaste absolutely does NOT rinse off better than baby shampoo and, unless you rinse the heck out of it, will definitely leave a stronger smell in the mask.

I use toothpaste to help prep a new mask after hitting it with a lighter first (btw - not dangerous (to your mask) if you are not careless) just like @Dan posted. I also clean the mask lenses and skirt with toothpaste before each dive trip.

I’ve never seen anyone use toothpaste as a defogger right before a dive?

Peefog ? Sounds legit lol 😂
It is if you listen the "The Great Dive Podcast". Very funny...well worth a listen.

Where's @ James Mott @? Can't remember his call name... oh well.

Toothpaste absolutely does NOT rinse off better than baby shampoo and, unless you rinse the heck out of it, will definitely leave a stronger smell in the mask.

I use toothpaste to help prep a new mask after hitting it with a lighter first (btw - not dangerous (to your mask) if you are not careless) just like @Dan posted. I also clean the mask lenses and skirt with toothpaste before each dive trip.

I’ve never seen anyone use toothpaste as a defogger right before a dive?

Yes yes it does! You just need to put a small amount, no more than is needed to blur the glass. Once underwater brush it off with your thumb and you're good to go. With baby shampoo, no matter what I do, it always leave a smell.

Team Toothpaste forever♥️😁

The best? 500 PSI's defog - one treatment works for 2 dives.

Spit works, and I'll use a 10/1 dawn dish soap to water spray too. Baby shampoo works too as does the liquid soap/bodywash/shampoo you can get at hotels.

For a new mask, I've always burned them in, but I have encountered a couple recently that even after multiple tries, would still fog badly during a dive. Treating the glass for a couple days in ammonia does the trick though.

Yes yes it does! You just need to put a small amount, no more than is needed to blur the glass. Once underwater brush it off with your thumb and you're good to go. With baby shampoo, no matter what I do, it always leave a smell.

Team Toothpaste forever♥️😁
We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Also, you must be using an incredibly thick baby shampoo product full strength? Toothpaste smeared on a lens will not easily wash off - I know from using it to prep new masks - you have to rinse it far more than to remove than you do a dilute baby shampoo spray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom