Best Light for Olympus TG6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have TG 6 cameras and would like the know the best or most recommended light for this camera. We have been told we don't need one but we would like suggestions. Thanks everyone!

I love my TG-6. I use xtar Video light and no strobes. I am very happy with the colors and brightness. It is also a very compact setup which is important to me.

I used a SeaLife package of two strobes and a 2300 lumen video light mounted on the shoe. Got some good results.

You DO need a light, unless you are happy with blurry, poor-color photos, or shoot only macro with the built-in strobe, or never go below 10 feet or so.
Video light essential for video, useful for stills.
Strobe much better for stills.
Brands are irrelevant, except for cost/performance/reliability. Lots of choices.
Mounting the light(s) at some distance from the lens is a best-practice, to minimize backscatter, so with a light (or several) you need a tray and arms and associated clamps, mounts, etc.
Macros are the easiest to shoot and equip for.
Wide-angle reef-scenes are the hardest.

Video or strobe?

Some strobes come with a small light (focusing light), that lets you see where the flash will land and lets the camera focus.

I used a video light exclusively for photographs - it was tough but I got some good photographs.
With 4,300 lumens, I was always on the border of a slow shutter speed.

I have added a strobe now and thats great because I am guaranteed faster shutter speeds.

You really need strobes for light and still images. I have the TG6 in the case mounted on a plate with articulated arms and 2x sea&sea strobes. Backscatter.com sells a dual fiber optic cable and adapter. Certainly not inexpensive, but it does a fa job illuminating subjects.

Hijacking for a sec....
If you want to do video and stills would a strobe on one side and video light on the other be a bad thing? Shadows etc?
I'm guessing that the best setup for both would be 2 strobes and a video in the middle?

Hijacking for a sec....
If you want to do video and stills would a strobe on one side and video light on the other be a bad thing? Shadows etc?
I'm guessing that the best setup for both would be 2 strobes and a video in the middle?

This is my current setup.
Strobe and video light.
I've never used both in tandem. I presume the strobe will anyways overpower the v video light.
I have used both on a dive but not at the same time.
Nice having both though.

Hijacking for a sec....

Or you could use a 3 way clamp:

P7210026.jpeg

You attach both a strobe abs video light to the same clamp.
This way you don't have to sacrifice maneuverability with the video light being fixed at the center.

Just curious. Nice to know it works good. I know it's not perfect for stills but then you sacrifice the video and vice versa.

Think I'm going to shoot for getting a video light first then look for a strobe.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom