Best latex seal to latex seal adhesive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For such a simple glueing job, S-18 neoprene contact cement might be considered because it's easy to apply, holds great and it's relatively inexpensive ($11 per quart).

Dave C

Thanks. This is for a neck seal, if that makes any difference.

The "best"? PB-300 from OS Systems: OS Systems Drysuit Repair

It is a contact cement that will come right off with a hair dryer. It works fantastic and is easy to deal with when it comes time to replace or repair again.

It is expensive, though.

Yep OS systems PB-300
There commercial seals are also really good. Thick enough to last, thin enough to still let you feel your fingers.

Thanks. This is for a neck seal, if that makes any difference.

I've used S-18 for latex neck and wrist seals and zippers after hearing it recommended by a major local drysuit repair shop that has used it for years.

S-18 has a shelf life of about 7 years after the can is opened, per the company that makes it. To reduce evaporation as the can gets partially depleted, I usually transfer the contents into suitably sized glass jars with tight-sealing lids and very little room for air. That might be overkill, but it makes me happy, cheap bas---d that I am.... :shakehead:

Dave C

The "best"? PB-300 from OS Systems: OS Systems Drysuit Repair

It is a contact cement that will come right off with a hair dryer. It works fantastic and is easy to deal with when it comes time to replace or repair again.

It is expensive, though.

I will offer you an alternative that has worked well for us. It is DAP 610. The product is manufactured by Weldwood and labeled The original contact cement. It is 4 bucks for 16 oz at the hardware store.

Feel free to look at the chemical composite of both. If you find the difference let me know.

I have repaired over 30 suits in the last five years using it, three are my own. Not one issue yet.
The last time I bought PB300 we were charges 28 bucks for a small 8 oz can. The DAP product is 1/4 the cost for twice as much.

Thanks for all the responses. Mulling it over.

I am amazed no one has asked yet?? Why are you gluing your neck seal latex to latex, unless it is a zip seal?

Most people remove the old seal first, then glue the new neck seal directly to the suit. A heat gun is a necessity for doing seal work routinely.

Hallmac might be onto something with his so called Dap 610 that has similar contents of PB300. When my quart runs out I will try the Dap stuff.

MEK is the solvent for many glues, and will freshen them back up as they dry out.

I am amazed no one has asked yet?? Why are you gluing your neck seal latex to latex, unless it is a zip seal?
QUOTE]

I was planning on cutting the exiting seal back to the ring that is cemented to the suit as per advice. I'm open to all other advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom