Best latex seal to latex seal adhesive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For an initial seal repair as long as the original seal is solidly attached, I tend to prefer to glue the seal to the base of the old latex seal trimmed back even with the start of the suit material. It is then a known latex to latex bond and you do not have to wonder what was used originally or how to remove the old seal. It is also not built up to the point of being problematic. Once you get to the second replacement remove the second seal and then go from there.

I was planning on cutting the existing seal back to the ring that is cemented to the suit as per advice. I'm open to all other advice.

OS Systems says it is OK to do it that way. I find it ugly (Did it that way once) and have always removed the damaged seal. What ever way you go, try out the glue that Hallmac recommends and let us know how it goes. Seals are pretty easy to change. I did make a couple of different rings to put under the neck seal. One is made of metal for the reversed DUI neck seal and another works for most other suits, and is made from melamine, cut into a circle.

For an initial seal repair as long as the original seal is solidly attached, I tend to prefer to glue the seal to the base of the old latex seal trimmed back even with the start of the suit material. It is then a known latex to latex bond and you do not have to wonder what was used originally or how to remove the old seal. It is also not built up to the point of being problematic. Once you get to the second replacement remove the second seal and then go from there.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

OS Systems says it is OK to do it that way. I find it ugly (Did it that way once) and have always removed the damaged seal. What ever way you go, try out the glue that Hallmac recommends and let us know how it goes. Seals are pretty easy to change. I did make a couple of different rings to put under the neck seal. One is made of metal for the reversed DUI neck seal and another works for most other suits, and is made from melamine, cut into a circle.

I thought I'd use plywood for the suit side (now I'm thinking something smoother like Plexi-glass) , and clear Plexi-glass for the seal so I'd be able to see the seal and make sure it was right. Again, thanks everyone for all the useful advice. I would prefer not to **** this up the first time.

Hallmac might be onto something with his so called Dap 610 that has similar contents of PB300. When my quart runs out I will try the Dap stuff.

Even if the ingredients are the same, the proportions or formulations can produce different characteristics.

I've found that some contact cements will hold much better than others.

The S-18 neoprene cement is used in the boat building industry to install marine carpet.

I find it holds very well, yet only occasionally requires heat to remove old seals.

Nevertheless, I'll check out the DAP 610 Hallmac suggested. It's apparently a lot easier to obtain than S-18. :)

Dave C

I thought I'd use plywood for the suit side (now I'm thinking something smoother like Plexi-glass) , and clear Plexi-glass for the seal so I'd be able to see the seal and make sure it was right. Again, thanks everyone for all the useful advice. I would prefer not to **** this up the first time.

I like clear templates, too. Here's a thread that has some ideas, including some pics of my DIY templates and neck seal replacement.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/268665-installing-drysuit-neck-seal.html

Dave C

The only challenge I could foresee to gluing over the old seal is if you used silicone to protect the failed seal, then the glue might not stick quite as well. MEK is a really nasty chemical that sure does work good.

FWIW I used silicone preservative and glued right over the top of the old latex seal and it stuck around for some serious abuse.

Gotta give Dave credit for building one heck of a neck seal jig :)

Wow. This is getting better and better. Glad I asked.

The only challenge I could foresee to gluing over the old seal is if you used silicone to protect the failed seal, then the glue might not stick quite as well. MEK is a really nasty chemical that sure does work good.

Agreed, I always wipe it down with MEK first, it cleans and prepares the surface well.

Back
Top Bottom