best fin for drysuit w/rockboot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Troutmaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just started diving dry and I need a fin to wear with a rock boot. My foot is size 12, 5-E wide.

I do not want split fins. I have a pair of Scubapro Seawing Nova's in XL that barely fit my foot wearing my stocking foot drysuit with a 5mil soft boot overtop.

Anyone with a similar size hoof have a recomendation? I am thinking OMS Slipstreams or Scubapro Jets, or something similar if they will fit.

I also do not have the rock boots yet, and welcome any input there as well. I tried on some at the LDS but did not love them.

Is anyone using OTB SAR boots in place of rockboots? I would like to hear your thoughts too.

I originaly posted this in "masks fins and snorkels" but did not get any replies.

Thanks

another one that you can throw into the mix that i know has a larger foot pocket is the XS Scuba turtle fins.

I have a 12/13 size foot and my feet fit very snug into my atomics....I am going to start looking into fins here this spring to get a pair of board fins as well. I am looking at turtles, jets, slipstreams, and also the hollis F1 right now.

hope it helps to give you another couple options.

Plana Avante Quattros. Big foot pocket, lots of drainage.

If the Scubapro XL Jets fits you, get that, its heavier compared to the OMS Slipstream and you need that weight when diving with drysuit. I'm not sure if the turtles are as heavy as the Jet fins, if they are that'd be a good choice as well.

Anyway ... no rockboots yet? I've heard people in this board use Converse. Might wanna try that:)

XXL Slipstreams if the foot pockets aren't too floppy ... or if they are, then go with the XXXL Turtles

I prefer the greater stiffness and lighter weight of the Slipstreams ... others preferences may vary.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If the Scubapro XL Jets fits you, get that, its heavier compared to the OMS Slipstream and you need that weight when diving with drysuit.
Actually, you don't ... it depends on preference. Whatever fin you get, you'll make the subtle adjustments needed to dive it efficiently over a period of a few dives. I dive Turtles or Slipstreams, depending on which suit I'm using ... and have used Jets in the past. The predominant consideration should be a fin that fits your boots snugly, without a lot of extra space to make the fin movement sloppy.

I'm not sure if the turtles are as heavy as the Jet fins, if they are that'd be a good choice as well.
They are, and they would be if the fin fits the foot pocket without being sloppy.

Oddly, 3XL Turtles have a smaller foot pocket than 2XL Jets or Slipstreams.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My other half has size 12 feet...not sure of the width, though. XL Jetfins were far too big and although he liked the feel of OMS Slipstreams, he ended up going for XL Hollis fins (F1). They're powerful enough to push a drysuit, doubles and deco bottles through the water, and still allow for a whole range of kicks - flutter, frog, back, you name it. Plus, they look groovy as hell. I call them 'Batman fins' Hollis Gear: F1

I use ScubaPro Jet Fins with my Rockboots. The fins have a large pocket and they weigh more than my last pair of fins (Mare Raptor Fins) so I dont need to use ankle weights anymore.

I think you're gonna have to go with either an xxl jet or xxxl turtle. I'm not really up on whether or not the slipstreams come in a larger size than the xl jet equivalent... but it sounds like you need a really big foot pocket. If you happen to find yourself in south Florida, I have both the xxxl Turtles and the XXL Jets if you want to take them for a spin. On a side note... if you really find yourself in a bind (no pun intended) with the rock boots. you may want to dive a pair of Chuck Taylors.

Back
Top Bottom