Best DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtles:
No, that one (like many) is self-sealing. Air goes in the bottom, but doesn't come out. You use the relief valve to deflate it.

Have you actually tried that with the ScubaToys one? I did and it does not have a seal on the bottom.

They do carrying the Manta, which they claim does self-seal, but I haven't personally used that one. I don't like the color on it, as it is a dull yellow.

String wrote that orange is more visible from boats. According to this study (from a previous thread) YELLOW is more visible from boats and the air (according to many of the previous posts on this subject I just read, this seems to be the consensus amongst captains too):

http://www.jeanelaine.co.uk/diveraids/intro.htm

Since one of the main purposes of the DSMB is not to be hit by boat traffic, it would seem that from a safety standpoint, the DSMB that will be deployed most often should be yellow, not orange. Whie a two color system (which as far as I can tell, is NOT widely used in the US, at least amongst rec divers I've talked to) has its benefits, if divers are going to only carry one SMB (most seem to carry none) a good compromise seems the dual color. I guess I'd rather be seen than inconvenience someone who thought it was an emergency. Carrying two SMBs is not a solution in this case, since the point is to be seen best by boat traffic, which is not accomplished with the orange SMB. Thouigts?

I've seen a couple that have a dive flag attached to it. Why you ask? I've also been told by a dive friend that while doing a deco under a lift bag/SMB, someone came along in a boat and tried to take the bag. Guess they had no idea what it was and thought they could use it, not realizing there was a diver on the other end.

Rainer:
DJ, the Dive Rite model is $100 (at least according to the link you gave). Any reason to prefer this model over the others I originally listed (all cheaper)? Thanks!

I think you get what you pay for. I imagine there are a lot of good ones.

You can buy it for about $89 without the sleeve.

I went with yellow because the studies I read and/or heard about said yellow was the most visiable color with the sole exception being when sun directly at your back.

UK coastguard and RAF study concluded orange is easier seen from the surface and yellow from the air.

The whole purpose of a DSMB is for your boat to see you and be waiting for you when you surface. Going by that i want a colour that can be seen easily by my boat.

String, could you please post a link to one of these studies? I don't doubt that they exist, but I'd like to look them over. The link I posted concluded that yellow was far better than orange in their study (from boat and from air).

Rainer, I purchased two of the scubatoys model for my wife and I. (http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_signal.asp first one that says all the DM's in the carrabian are using them)...

I have never actually used one yet thought :( I'll have to try it out in my pool this weekend...

What I liked about it, is the way the straps are sewn on with the clips. This arrangement allows it to function as a lift bag, I'm not at home but I belive the material's that came with it said it had a max lift of nearly 10 to 25 lbs. When I get home I'll hunt around for the paper that came with them (I save everything scuba related) and let you know for sure, but they do seem sturdy enough to support 20 or 25 lbs easily.

They are a bit bulky, and although WILL fit into a BC pocket, My wife and I have Aqualung Passport's (the kind that fold up into thier own built in carry bag), and once you get this plus a small spool (I purchased the finger spools from scubatoys) there really isn't room in your pocket for anything else.

Instead I'm trying to figure out a way to clip them off on our backs (perhaps add a D ring to the tank band?) so that we could just reach back and unclip, or simply grab my wife's off her back.

I plan to ask our instructor when we do AOW if he has time to show us how to "shoot a bag", we will probly do search and recovery as one of the dives.

Rainer:
(3) Ideally orange (or orange on one side and yellow on the other)

I prefer single color; orange for primary, yellow for backup/emergency, because then I can use them for signalling. But that's more of a consideration for tech diving. For example, if I run into a problem on a deco dive, but can't surface right away because of the deco obligation, then I'd shoot the yellow bag to signal a problem and the guys on the boat would know to send down a support diver or do whatever was agreed.

I use Carters from Jagfish. Unfortunately they don't make orange ones anymore, so one of my bags is red. Also, I don't think it can be inflated with an LP hose. But it has a small d-ring on top which is nice because I can clip a message there or a small marker light (glo-toob) on night dives.

I'm looking for a DSMB and hoping for recommendations, ideally no taller than 3-4ft, with a closed bottom dump valve, and oral inflator valve. Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom