Best diving in Key Largo - help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of the diving depends on your skill level and the types of dives you'd like to do, rather what you'd like to get out of them.

There are several very nice wrecks around Key Largo: Duane, Bibb, and the Grove. The reef system is also impressive. Most ops require AOW certs to dive the Grove so keep this in mind for yourself or other divers accompanying you. If you just want to get wet and log a lot of bottom time there are ample sites, French's being one of my favorites.

As for hotels, I really enjoyed the Holiday Inn in Key Largo. The pool is very nice, rooms decent, and onsite restaurant is pretty darn good. Also there's a World Water Sports right next door where you can spend some vacation cash :)

If you want to post some specifics I think you might get more detailed responses.

~BD

Well, even though I am from Canada, right now I am in Key Largo.....mmmmmm......warm waterrrrrrr........

Currently I am staying in the Holiday Inn, and even though it is in the 150+ range per night, the hotel is very nice. I will stay here next time I come this way. Great pool, and the restaurant is quite good. Just did a dive with Blue Water Divers this morning, and they treated us divers very well. Highly recommend them. I plan on doing the Grove tomorrow, and what ever else I can on Thursday, as friday is a no dive day because of the early morning flight back home to the frozen North.

Business is slow right now for many operators, so their schedules are very flexible right now. But when spring break starts, all that will change.

Seems like their is a lot of diving for non-advanced divers available, just not on the deep wrecks.

Have fun when you come, I know I am.

ScubaCanada:
G'day,
Heading down to Fla for a few weeks (from snowy Georgetown, Ont.), and would like to squeeze in a weekend dive trip in Key Largo area.

Could anyone recommend a dive operator and hotel for a few nights?
I will be diving, with wife and kids shopping....

Noticed Rainbow Reef's web site http://www.rainbowreef.us/ anyone know what they are like?

Spiegel Grove looks interesting.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have been diving with Rainbowreef for about a year now. I probably went out with them 15 times. I can't complain, they are real pros. I would recommend them to anyone. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing those great Key Largo photos. I was there in January and it was sweet. Saw same things, but did not have a camera. It is a great place to scuba. Great people too.

I would also suggest Conch Republic. Gary and Brenda are AWESOME. Plus I love that they boat is only 3 feet away from the dive shop. Talk about easy on and off :) They have a great setup there and they take VERY good care of you. They run two different boats. One six pak and one 45+ footer. I tend to prefer diving larger boats (helps if the waves kick up) - so ask which one they are taking out.

http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/home.html

P.S. Tell them their friends from the Down Under Dive Club sent you.

I really appreciate all of your comments. They give me allot to look at.

It seems that most of the operators out of Key Largo are very good, and as mentioned several times, it depends on what preferences I have as far as boat size, independence, etc. as to what operator I go with.

The same goes for the hotels. The Holliday Inn looks nice, and seems close to the boats. Sounds good for my wife and kids, for shopping and water sports.

Will drive down from Port Charlotte, and expect a 4 hour drive on a Sunday mid-day (sound right?). Which is nothing compared to the 24 hour drive from home!

Thanks again,

Drew. :cheers:

ScubaCanada:
G'day,
Heading down to Fla for a few weeks (from snowy Georgetown, Ont.), and would like to squeeze in a weekend dive trip in Key Largo area.

Noticed Rainbow Reef's web site http://www.rainbowreef.us/ anyone know what they are like?

Thanks.

jlyle:
Click here for a trip report and pictures of my trip to Key Largo.

DSAO,
Jim (jlyle)

Outstanding pics! I am coming down to Key Largo this April and haven't yet decided on which shop to go with. I am still deciding between Ocean Divers, Scuba-do, and Sea Dwellers. Now all I need is a decent underwater camera.

I drove down from Port Charlotte March 16th to Key Largo, and called Rainbow Reef on the way. They had an odd number of divers scheduled to go out in the afternoon, and took my reservation.

Was about a 15 minute boat ride out to the reef, moderate waves (depends on who you talk to - half the boat was tossing their cookies), and party sunny - perfect.

An employee of Rainbow dove with us, forgot his name (could have been Jesus??), but he was origionally from Cancun I believe, and pointed out sea turtles, a large red eel, 'cudas, and more varieties of fish than i had ever seen in my life.

The captain & crew were very helpfull with descriptions of the sites, entrances & exits from the boat, and many tips - of which I recipricated monitarily.

I was quite pleased with the operation, and really appreciated a battery boost from one of the employee's father after I got back and tried to start the van!

Met a few other Canucks on the boat (who would have figured) as well, and we had a great time.

Will definately call Rainbow Reef again next year!

Cheers,
Drew.

ScubaCanada:
G'day,

Thanks.

ScubaCanada:
G'day,

Thanks.

I did my OW dives in Key Largo with the Naples Dive Shop. We went to the Marriott Hotel for the dives, and "It's A Dive" runs out of that hotel. I found them to be knowledgeable, kind, and very helpful to all of us. First rate, in my opinion. They took us to some great dive sites, too! I know that I am NEW, but they made my experience a wonderful and safe trip!

Scuba-Do is nice.. good clean boat and the folks who run it are good people.. definitely carribean souls. Personally, I'm a little put out by Largo though.. I've had as good or better dives in Deerfield and WPB areas as I have down there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom