Best dive spots and shops for a newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adzam09

New
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently moved to SoCal and am looking to start diving! I just got Padi OW certified in April down in the Florida Keys and haven't dove since. Does anyone have suggestions of great dive shops and sites to go for newbies? I would preferably like a shop that offers guided dives as I am not familiar with the area and still very new to diving.

Thanks so much!!:cool2:

Pacific Wilderness has a huge shop with a pool in San Pedro and a smaller shop in Orange.....

On the other end of town try Hollywood Divers near universal city. The whole crew there is great and their gear selection is one of the best in LA County.

Diving in SoCal is very different than diving in Florida. "Cold, arduous and dark" is always a possibility. 60-80' vis just isn't that common around here :-(

Find a local dive shop where you feel comfortable and hang out a bit. Talk to the staff about dive trips, local boats and clubs. Meet some local divers and ask about their diving style, and any tips for new SoCal divers.

Maybe even consider taking some kind of quick "orientation". Either a 1-2 dive mini-class with a local instructor or guide.

You may find yourself learning to dive almost all over again, but the diving here is worth it.

I started a Meetup group in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area, and I am looking to dive LA/OC/SD in the coming months. If you need a dive partner let me know. Check my meetup out, search for Poseidons Playground. I would recommend diving Catalina and the Channel Islands. I am diving Ventura on the raptor to Anacapa Jan 12, and Catalina on February 22 for the harbor clean up. I dive shore dives from Refugio and Tajiguas in Santa Barbara to Deer Creek and Leo Carrillo in the Ventura/Malibu areas. There are some great shore dives in the LA/OC area but I havent been able to get down there and check them out. I hear Veterans park in Redondo, Terranea Resort Off The Point Rancho Palos Verdes, and maybe White Point are good.

Poseidon

Hello!...I would preferably like a shop that offers guided dives as I am not familiar with the area and still very new to diving...

Smart! California diving is very different then Florida diving, especialy for a new diver. First, welcome to California! There are several ways to become familiar with the cold, low viz, kelp infested (it's so beautiful!) waters we have here. You can dive with groups or friends who can show you the ropes, you can hire a Divemaster to help you just a little more, or you can dive with a qualified instructor to really make sure you get the skills you need to safely enjoy the amazing diving we have here. Can you guess which 1 I recommend? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom