Best Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shop link that appears on diverbobs' posts is for ykiki which I thought actually uses Dive Stop for training dives. I would'nt think there would be a dive shop grudge there. BTW, I also think Dave seems like a great guy and is always trying to improve the quarry.

The dive shop link that appears on diverbobs' posts is for ykiki which I thought actually uses Dive Stop for training dives. I would'nt think there would be a dive shop grudge there. BTW, I also think Dave seems like a great guy and is always trying to improve the quarry.

I am one of the few people in the area that can separate my opinions from the shop I am affiliated with. The shop does go there for some classes. I have once, and am choosing not to work any more classes there. My choice, not a shop choice.

I am one of the few people in the area that can separate my opinions from the shop I am affiliated with. The shop does go there for some classes. I have once, and am choosing not to work any more classes there. My choice, not a shop choice.

Give the place a second chance. If you have only been there once, what could be that bad :confused: I've been there several times. Every one has treated me good :D

Hey Jim, are you holding out on me? Nice Drysuit!!!!

Re: New Melle, as far as training goes...it's far better than where I was certified (Eugene Quarry by Eldon, MO) and better than where my dive buddies did their open water (Rolla). For students doing multiple dives over several days that live in the St. Louis area it works. Short drive. I know they have had a terrible time designing their platforms. For students, a nice sturdy platform is a must....so, this is a "minus" in my opinion.

Snagel

.........Prins Willem V (aka The Willie)
Best wreck I've ever seen anywhere. Out of Milwaukee. It's been down for 50+ years, and looks like it could easily be refloated. Only thing missing is the propeller, but you can take a look at that on dry land at Jerry's Dock. Radio Masts intact, cargo holds have great swim through. Pilothouse, engine room. Life boat davits, Breezeway. A beauteous wreck work a trip from anywhere......

Several of our members suggested the Prins Willem too.
We have located the plans and soon (2 / 3 months) we should have a virtual dive site for her too.

AM

If you haven't been to the dive stop lately, you'll be happy to hear they have upgraded their platforms. Still not as nice as Mermet or Haigh, but much better than the tarp system they used to have.

If you have plans to the Prins Willem, I would be interested in a copy. Digital or otherwise. I'll gladly pay for the trouble.

Tom

Dive Stop is an up and coming quarry with a ton of potential. I agree that their platforms are not where they need to be in terms of construction/design. I also feel there's not much to see. However, I recently made a trip out there and enjoyed myself. It's close to home and the staff has always treated me well. Hopefully, local divers continue to support Dave Cruz and his Dive Stop Quarry! It's easy to criticize someone who is just getting started and working on a tight budget. However, it's up to the crew out there to make it appealing to divers and the LDS. It's going to take time, money and dedication. It needs to be pushed and supported. At this point, it's a little unfair to compare it to Mermet Springs. They are on two different playing fields.

I was at the dive stop two weeks ago, unfortunately, we had bad vis. The vis can be really awesome in the late fall and early springtime, but we've had such a rainy start to the summer, the vis really never had a chance. It's no worse than the shallow part of Mermet though.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom