Best Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tough question, but I'd give a vote for Mermet Springs, because of the generally good conditions, lots to see, and good people running it. The closest dive site is probably The Dive Stop in New Melle. Also good conditions and good people. For more ideas, visit this site.
midwestmuckdiving.com

If you want something close (within an hour) - The Dive Stop in New Melle

If you are willing to drive (4-5 hours) - 1st pick Mermet Springs, 2nd pick Haigh.

Mermet: Great people, Great owners, and lots to see. 727, bus, ambulance, firetruck, many platforms. Great diving for shollow or deep divers. Very professional, great accomodations, covered pavillions, hot showers. I make a trip 5-6 times a year and I'm 6 hours away.

Haigh: Typically very god viz especially if you can get there during the week. Not as many attractions as Mermet, but a fully dedicated dive quarry with a great owner as well.

Snagel

closest(half hour and you are wet)- New Melle
most man placed attractions (man, a 727 airplane)- Mermet
best vis (100' plus)- Bonne Terre
freedom to boat dive and explore with good vis- Norfork and Bull Shoals
I guess we are lucky to have so many options for what ever you feel the best place to dive that day is.

I was wondering how many times Mermet Springs would top the list? I also enjoy diving at Mermet, I have only been to Dive Stop one time. However, I just heard back from some folks who dove there this past weekend. I hear they've really made some improvements since I was there last year. I enjoy Haigh as well and have been toTable Rock a couple of times lately. I have never dove Bonne Terre, I feel it's too expensive! I will make the trip down to Bonne Terre at some point I am sure....

No one listed Quail Run Quarry in Rolla???? :) (just kidding)

You're right about Dive Stop constantly improving. It seems there is always something in the works to make the place better. As far as Bonne Terre goes, I would highly recommend giving it a try. It would be a dive you would never forget and more than likely would want to do again.

Haigh is my favorite for the amount of fish life. But Mermet is good too.

The best site is without a doubt Lake Michigan. You can dive The Straits of Mackinac in 90ffw off of Montrose Beach, and there is no dive that beats that within 5 hours of St Louis. There's also plenty other wrecks reachable from Chicago, or Indiana. If you are willing to drive 6 hours, you can also make it to Milwaukee, which has even better wrecks.

But Mermet will do when you want a day thing, and Dive Stop will do for an after-work dive.

Tom

I'm diving Lake Michigan the second weekend of July. I have been invited by some buddies that chartered a boat out of Gary Indiana. I have been wanting to dive Lake Michigan for years. I'm stoked to finally knock this off the long list of dive sites!

Back
Top Bottom