Best Dive Operation in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Rich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning a quick 4 day dive trip to Key Largo next month and are looking for advice on the best dive operator there. We've never been to Key Largo so we are most interested in a safe operation, We have just over 300 dives under our fins, but like to be conservative when going to a location we've never been to before.

We have narrowed it to four operators:
  1. Rainbow Reef Divers
  2. Blue Water Divers
  3. Keys Diver
  4. Florida Keys Dive Center
Which one provides the best value and safest operation. We probably will consider hiring a dive master.

All inputs are welcome.

Thanks!

I've only used RR, but saying that my wife and I were very happy with them. They meet the two requirements you listed: Value and Safety. They're also friendly, knowledgeable, and run a top notch operation overall.

It isn't on your list.

Who would you suggest?
The only criteria was safety. If it were me, I would suggest Quiescence if I didn't want to dive with 18 of my newest closest friends, and Horizon or CRD (I know that Tavenier isn't KL) if I didn't mind so much. If I were looking for hand holding and valet service, I would also say RR. I have friends who captain for all of them, so it isn't personal, just based on the OP criteria. But I wouldn't say that any operator is "unsafe", I'd just say that safety is the first priority with some. Other operators have other priorities, which may include customer satisfaction or others.

Without a doubt... the very best dive op is​
The one you're on!

We don't really have a 'bad' dive op down here as far as I know. Go with your gut feeling. Me? I am on Rainbow Reef more than any others. But then, I have personal connections there, so I am biased.[/;eft]​

Go with your #1 choice. You will have a guide, so you'll feel more secure. 6 divers per guide, so it's like a group of six-packs :) The guides we've been with are all instructors. Big, comfortable boats. You may think that takes away the "privacy" of a six-pack. Actually, it takes away the inconvenience of bumpy seas! And there's something to be said for the warm water showers on the boat after a dive :wink:

I primarily dive with Conch Republic Divers, but also use RR at least once per year. Choosing just from your list, I'd go with RR. I've been out with Horizon and Quiescence and like both too.

Pros and cons: RR provides guides so that's a plus if you want one. But their boats are usually pretty full too. CRD has large capacity steel tanks which is really nice if you are diving the big wrecks or deep reefs, if you're the first person to make a reservation on any particular day, you can choose the site. Both RR and CRD have big stable Newtons. If you want a highly customized trip Quiescence is nice since they only run 6 packs and don't have a set schedule, but their boats are really bouncy in high seas.

The staffs at all of these shops are fantastic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom