Best Dive Boat? - Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perrier

Reaction score
Traveling to the BI in May. I've been researching dive ops, & have found several. Most have photos of their boats on their websites. And I will send a personal e-mail to them asking about their boats. But, I would like opinions from divers who live there or who have vacationed there recently. I don't do the inflatable boats. I must have a boat w/a head.

Any dive ops I should stay away from? In my prelimiary review, they all seem to charge approx the same.

Comments, advice, opinions anyone? THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Not gonna get into whose boat is best, but if having a head is a requirement, Jack's Diving Locker has two boats with heads, a small one without, and maybe another with since they merged with that other operation. I am sure there are a few more ops with the larger boats, so it can't hurt to just call them and ask. I dove with Jack's for nine years, so I am familiar with their boats.

"Checking the prop" on a smaller boat with no head is no big deal really. But some people do want to change to dry clothes and want the privacy I guess............. Larger boats will often have a fresh water shower too, if that matters.

I would heartily recommend Big Island Divers and Bottomtime Hawaii as 2 really quality operations. If a marine head is a requirement then Bottomtime has a marine head while Big Island Divers doesn't.

Any diving you do with either of these operators will be great.

Joe

I made a recent post about my recent time with Torpedo Tours.... they just added a boat to their fleet. It's a great boat... Very solid... and it has a head. You might want to read the rest of my previous post.

ladycute1:
I made a recent post about my recent time with Torpedo Tours.... they just added a boat to their fleet. It's a great boat... Very solid... and it has a head. You might want to read the rest of my previous post.
Who?....Never heard of them....
Most boats have a "head" but mo betta to hang off the boat.

Perrier,

I posted this way back. This is from my personal experience on BI. I dived with three dive ops. Jack's Diving Locker, Kona Honu Divers, and with Wanna-Dive.

POSTED September 30, 2005

I just returned from the Big Island and dived with three different companies. I want everyone to know that all the dive shops/services were excellent. If anyone wants specific information, please PM me.

I would give my "nicest guy" award to Steve from Wanna-Dive.
I would give my "funniest guy" award to Keller from Jacks.
I would give my "coolest mask" award to Eli from Jacks.
I would give my "nicest dive boat" award to Glenn from Kona Honu divers.

I wanted to dive with others but the time with my family kind of got in the way. I mean, I wanted to spend more time with my family.

The mantas were great. Saw 12 on my first night dive, 8 on my next and 4 on my last. Well worth the visit. I'm glad I had my light cannon with me.

Once again, thanks to Steve (Friscuba), Keller, Eli, Glenn, Rich, and the rest. I had a great time diving there.

Chris

we dove with Kona Honu Divers back in Nov and were very pleased with them. They have a big boat, but it is fast, and no more than 6 divers per DM. The biggest reason for choosing them was that my buddy and I both have camera rigs and need a table for them - I don't like having to sit my camera gear in the middle of the floor and have people walk around it. Also, because the boat is big, between dives you can walk around and talk to people, or go up top or on bow and sit in sun, or stand under the overhang in the shade. It is really a nice boat and all the DMs are great.

robint
www.rnrscuba.net (pics and videos if you are interested)

My fav is Patrice at Pacific Rim Divers, great operation, and great home made brownies!

Big Island is a good pick, as well as Keith at DiveTek.

Back
Top Bottom