Best Computer Watch for $1,000 to $1,500? Let me hear it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon. I wanted to open the floor on the best computer dive watch you can buy for around $1,000 to $1,500. I'm about to buy a Suunto D6i for $1,000 including transmitter (about $400 off list) and I wanted to see if there is anything else I should be looking at in that price range.

What I want: small form factor that I can wear around when I am not scuba diving. Conservative algorithms as well.

I have one of these. (link below) It seems to work quite well for me. It can be worn as a watch and has all the features a recreational diver could ever need. It also has dual algorithms so you can choose your own conservative setting.

For a little bit more you could get the titanium band and have a nice looking watch too!

Powered by Oceanic's Exclusive Dual Algorithm™ - Your choice between Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) or Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis)

OC1

I don't think you can beat Suunto for the form factor that you desire. There aren't too many "watch style" dive computers that feature air integration and are "quite fashionable" as the Suunto units. I believe Oceanic has the Atom and Scubapro has the Meridian, although the latter does not feature air integration. If you free-dive as well, then get the Suunto units as they have a freedive mode.

I would caution you about the watch style of dive computers. Their screens are relatively small, although they do have large bezels. If you're a short stature fellow, they maybe too big for your naked wrist. I got a Luna because the large display makes it easier for me to read. Although in truth, I haven't seen a dive computer with a display that can beat the Petrel. I was hovering about three feet above my buddy and I could clearly read the display of his Petrel. If it had air integration, I would make the switch immediately.

Got it. Well I really want air integration and a smaller form factor. So suunto it is. I don't need the d9 because I'm not really going to be mixing gasses.

I am debating now between the d6i and the d4i. I think the only really difference is the compass (digital). However I already have a digital compass in my Cobra 3. Then again, the graphics appear to be a bit better on the d6i. Hmm.

If you have the Cobra 3, your best bet would be another Suunto, that way you are not trying to match up 2 different algorithms. That is why I have the OC1, it matches with my backups.
Got it. Well I really want air integration and a smaller form factor. So suunto it is. I don't need the d9 because I'm not really going to be mixing gasses.

I am debating now between the d6i and the d4i. I think the only really difference is the compass (digital). However I already have a digital compass in my Cobra 3. Then again, the graphics appear to be a bit better on the d6i. Hmm.

As far as watch-style computers go, I like my D6 (the original, non AI). I chose a watch style over a larger wrist style because I like to have my computer with me at all times. If I know where it is, I won't lose it. I also like not having to switch what's on my wrist between a computer and a watch. I don't have to leave a watch in the hotel room while I'm out diving, or leave the computer in the hotel room when I'm out doing something else, so there's less chance of them being lost or stolen. It's always on my wrist. I also like to be able to review logged dives when the day is done and my buddies and I are sitting around the bar, discussing what we did, and entering dives into our logbooks. Inevitably, someone with a non-wristwatch computer will stand up and say "I need to go get my computer from the room." In summary, I find the wristwatch style conducive to a certain style of diving.

That said, at some point in the future I will probably switch to something like a Shearwater. For some styles of diving, the advantages will outweigh the inconveniences noted above. Moreover, the screen on my D6 looks smaller every year. I don't think my eyesight will allow me to continue using a wristwatch-style computer for many more years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom