Best computer for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm a new diver, just certified, completely hooked. I'm just completing my research for a reg, and now moving onto learning about computers. I'd like a point of reference...some recommendations for solid computers.

From the small amount of reading I've done on the subject, I believe these are my needs

- Wristwatch style computer (more streamlined and convenient)
- Nitrox Integrated (seems like most comp's have this..)
- Air Integration is NOT necessary
- User replaceable batteries
- Cost is not a huge concern, but I don't need some expensive tech diving computer either
- Ability to connect the dive computer to a PC for dive logging seems neat, but I don't know if I really need it.

Any recommendations and insight would be much appreciated! Durability & quality are always a priority. Thanks guys.

My girlfriend and I are both newly certified as well. We both dive with a Suunto Gekko and we're pretty happy. It's easy to use... all around good "entry level" comp. It fits all the criteria you're looking for. It doesn't hook up to your computer, but I believe there's a hack that will allow you to do so. We just manually type the info from the internal logbook onto Excel.

I would also recommend the Suunto Gekko.

I'm a new diver, just certified, completely hooked. I'm just completing my research for a reg, and now moving onto learning about computers. I'd like a point of reference...some recommendations for solid computers.

From the small amount of reading I've done on the subject, I believe these are my needs

- Wristwatch style computer (more streamlined and convenient)
- Nitrox Integrated (seems like most comp's have this..)
- Air Integration is NOT necessary
- User replaceable batteries
- Cost is not a huge concern, but I don't need some expensive tech diving computer either
- Ability to connect the dive computer to a PC for dive logging seems neat, but I don't know if I really need it.

Any recommendations and insight would be much appreciated! Durability & quality are always a priority. Thanks guys.

Seems you've done a fair amount of research and have the basics well in hand.
I'll suggest one more thing consider what you'll want to do as a diver over the next few years. Add those consideration into your equation.

In my experience I was well researched like you and purchased a Mares M2 and the IRIS download adapter for it. It's a fine computer with some very good features at a reasonable price. After a few dives with it I decided that I wanted a AI computer and started researching further. I didn't want a console. I wanted to stay with a wrist computer so my choices lead me to wireless AI.
I ended up with an Oceanic VT3 and like it a lot but now also have a Atom 2.0
althought the Mares M2 was a fine computer it was more conservative than the Oceanic computers so I ended up selling it. The VT3 and Atom 2.0 play well together and I use 1 to back up the other.

Suunto: D4, D6 or D9
Mares: Nemo Sport or Nemo Excel
Cressi-Sub: Edy
Scubapro: Extender
Oceanic: Geo, Atom 2.0, OC1 (is this out already?)

Depending on your price range and possible preference for AI and hose/wrist:

Aeris Elite T3 (AI using transmitter, wrist)
eris Atmos AI (hose mount).

Both have very similar functionality. I've been diving my Elite T3 for almost 2 years and
am very happy with it. My wife got her Atmos AI just before our Cozumel trip in Feb and she
is also very pleased. Both are Nitrox, multi-gas capable and should have plenty of upside
as you get more experience.

I used to use a Suunto D6 and I switched because the display was too small for me. My eyes aren't bad, but man, some of those indicators are TINY. IMHO, get the biggest, easiest to read display that you can: a computer that is small enough to be a watch is too big for a watch, and too small for a computer.

This is a frequently asked question. There are many variables. Pelagic Pressure System computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis...) are considerably more liberal in ther NDL algorithems than others. Suunto is among the most conservative. You may or may not want to take this into consideration.

Good diving, Craig

I absolutely love my Atom 2.0. I would highly recommend anyone interested in a considerable amount of diving invest in a computer which is air integrated and synchs with their computer. I have found great value in these functions. The wireless AI aspect of the Atom 2 simply means one fewer hose to tangle with. Due to the fact I also dive an integrated inflator hose, the only hoses which I have coming off my first stage are my primary second stage and my low pressure inflator hose. The ability of the DC to synch with my computer (in this case a MAC running OS 10.5 using the free MACDive software), allows me to see detailed graphs of my dive profile and air consumption.

If you have any specific questions related to the Atom 2.0, I'd be happy to answer them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom