Best combo snorkel/dive trip to molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdjpvaz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone I will be in Maui (wailea) in march with the family. Alas I am the only diver in the family so I am looking into a molokini day trip where they can snorkel and I can dive . Any ideas or reviews? Thanks

Trilogy is a classy operation that both I and my guests have always enjoyed, whether it is the trip to Lanai or the Molokini trip.

When I went on the Trilogy molokini trip a few years ago with my daughter, I didn't bother doing scuba, and instead chose to snorkel with them. We got to watch a bunch of jack attack an eel, in about 20' of clear water.

TRILOGY | Molokini Snorkel & Diving Tours - Snuba Molokini

Dive boats such as B&B will also take snorklers, but it is not nearly as nice an experience for the snorklers as going on Trilogy or one of the other snorkel catamarans.
I believe all of the divers that day, and most other days, are non-certified divers, and they just make a short loop in the shallow section of mid-reef .... across the sand channel from the inside of Reef's End. The snorkel boats moor near the inside rim of the crater.

Thanks. Anyone else do Trilogy, I was under the impression they do certified dives?

Trilogy offers the best Molokini crater snorkeling tours by limiting passengers*, providing 2 dive sites (for variety and to help avoid crowds), and by providing a shorter travel distance from Malaee Harbor** so you can spend more time at Molokini. On our Maui Molokini snorkel cruise we provide wetsuits and offer intro and certified scuba diving as well as the popular sport of Snuba.
Only certified divers can now dive Molokini. Anyone can snorkel/snuba there. It's all found on different parts of the website:
Molokini offers crystal clear diving with a diversity of marine life that is ideal for both Certified Scuba divers and the increasingly popular SNUBA. While the new Conservation District laws limit scuba diving to certified divers only at Molokini, intro dives are available at a second dive site and are usually between 20-40 feet with bottom times of 20-30 min.

Pride of Maui might be another option:
Maui scuba aboard the Pride of Maui is the perfect solution for groups with divers and non-divers. The divers can enjoy Maui scuba diving, while the others partake in snorkeling, or even Maui snuba, right on the same boat and Maui tour.

Thanks, again any more reviews of trilogy or pride of Maui from a divers "perspective"

Thanks. Anyone else do Trilogy, I was under the impression they do certified dives?
Yes, they have always taken certified divers, but the location of the boat, up near the inside rim has limited the area and depths on my previous trips. It may have changed now that only certified divers can do the dive in the crater, but I wouldn't count on it.

The trip is a snorkel trip. The snuba and scuba are add on afterthoughts. Kind of the opposite of going on B&B or Scuba Shack, which are dive boats trips that will also take snorklers.

Reviews of Trilogy can be found at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...0-Trilogy_Excursions-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

Unfortunately, it includes reviews for all of their various trips. There are a few mentions here and there of the scuba and snuba.

My recommendation is to just jump in the water with the rest of your family and enjoy the snorkeling. Then go out on a real dive boat some other morning. If you take B&B, you will be back well before noon, leaving lots of time for sightseeing with the family.

Last edited:
anything at molokini will do, if your family is big enough, I would get a B&B Boat

anything at molokini will do, if your family is big enough, I would get a B&B Boat
Brad and Blessi (B&B) are great folks and they have a great dive boat, but it just isn't the same experience as a Trilogy charter.

Trilogy is much better on the creature comforts ...... they have a lot more space and use it to do things like a BBQ. Trilogy will have something more akin to full bar service. B&B would be more like beers out of a cooler. Non-divers may also appreciate things like a normal flush toilet on the Trilogy boat vs. a marine head on the B&B dive boat.

It's things like these are why I recommend that the original poster just go with the flow, take a snorkel trip to Molokini and enjoy the day with his family. Then while they lounge around and hit the beach the following morning, he can go do a real dive trip with B&B and be back before lunch.

To give you a better idea:

molokini-crater-map.jpg

We took the Pride of Maui Molokini snorkel and scuba tour last year. There are a lot of different boats that offer similar tours it just depends on the experience you are looking for. I would figure out what you want then research the best possible tour that covers all your needs and expectations.

• Size of boat
  • Length of tour
  • Diving sites
  • Friendly / Pro-active Crew
  • Food / Bar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom