• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best campsite in Key Largo?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Crazy Fingers, May 26, 2007.

1. Crazy Fingers

Crazy Fingers Barracuda

Which campground in Key Largo is best? We are going to be in tents and just want a quiet place that isn't too crowded. Thanks.

2. MsParamedic

MsParamedic Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The campgrounds are few and far between in Key Largo. By far, the best is at Pennekamp State Park. There is also camp sites at "Key Largo Kampground" and at "Kings Camp".

Pat

3. bobsea43

bobsea43 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I agree that Pennekamp is your best bet! It is convenient and quite! I have stayed there many times. bobsea

4. Crazy Fingers

Crazy Fingers Barracuda

Unfortunately Pennekamp is booked up. Of the private sites, which would you recommend?

5. netmage

netmage Rest in Peace Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Be prepared for humidity and mosquitos... If you can - get a site w/ electric and bring a window AC unit...!

I'm not kidding - Marco brought one along for last years 4th of july w/e and it made it AWESOME!!!!!

6. ScubaKris

ScubaKris Barracuda

Camp sites haveing given way to condos.

Even ten years ago you would have to book a year in advance,...unless off season and during the week you may have a chance.

Holiday weekends, all charters, hotels and campgrounds,... book a year in advance and you may still have trouble.

This may sound extremem. It is not.

We like Indian Pass at St Joe. We did not plan to go this year. Last year we booked all of the holiday weekends for the entire year in 05. Iwant to make some keys trips during the week next year for about this time. I will have to sit down and make my reservations

7. rvcouple1

rvcouple1 Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    We stay at Kings Kamp when in Key Largo. There are 4 RV sites marina/bay front, water, electric and cable but no sewer. Free Wi-Fi. Dump station. We trailer our boat and leave it at the marina for the duration. The Adams Cut is literally a stone's throw away. We drop our tanks off at Pennecamp on the way back from diving and either pick them up in the late afternoon or the next morning. Quiescessance (sp?) is one property north and you can get air fills there, but they prefer you come via land. There are also full hook-up sites away from the water. Tent camping under the trees, but the main spot is right next to the big dumpster and it can smell *bad*. There are sites next to the Conch House with water/electric that back up to a stockade fence and have a good view of Blackwater Bay. If the conditions are good for my boat, I'll be there over the 4th of July weekend and a week in August. Beware that sometimes the folks who have their trailers there full-time and weekend here from Miami can sometimes be a bit obnoxious, especially on holiday weekends. Other than that, this is where we like to stay!

8. MsParamedic

MsParamedic Instructor, Scuba

We're not that bad!!!! Actually, that is what we (those that live there year round) think of some of the tourist! :):wink::wink::wink:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. Jupiter31

Jupiter31 Loggerhead Turtle

The Holiday Inn :rofl3:

Seriously, until the end of October, and the weather starts to moderate, its pretty miserable sleeping w/ the bugs and the heat and humidity - if you have a/c - seriously - or really strong fans - bring them.

Camping in FL can be great, just not during our summer :no:

10. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

Key Largo Kampground, quite, clean, family oriented, very nice and friendly.

[​IMG]

You are right about the Miami people, best thing could happen to the Keys is that Alqueda (sp?) would attack the bridge to Key Largo from the mainland and blow it up.

N

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009