Best Bangka Dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When was that discussed? ...Enjoy your wine.

Dunno... was under the impression that 70% price increase in 3 years is for my own good, that Bangka attracts world known bungalow architects, that there was nobody taking care of clients and food before the officially certified Bangka Manager took the charge, that my friends reporting not going to any Pontohi site were lying on purpose to me, that all Lembeh managers were extremely competent and that finally I had to shut up until I'll be "someone"... :p

Thanks for the wine and have a good weekend. :drunks:

Hi Luko,

Like I feared, this start turning into a mud fight (he said, she said), so I'll keep this short.

Oli4, Is it me or does it look like you are not reading or my questions. If you have no answers about them no problem, but pls don't distort what I am writing.
You wanted precise exemples, on your wish I gave them to you, pls don't fiddle them now they don't fit you.
I'll elaborate.

1. You never asked questions. Maybe the only one as to why a bule manager. That's a company decision and as I tried to explain you, there's more logistics so company choose to go with an expat.
2. I wanted precise examples of what? Where do I fiddle with answers?
3. Tommy. Yes, in my first reply, I said he was the cook. I checked my facts (witch I suggested you to do) and replied in the 2nd post he was working frontdesk and sometimes in Bangka. Does that make sense now? Frontdesk is indeed in Manado, but our staff rotates (more logistics) and sometimes he was on Bangka. He happend to be on Bangka while you were there. By the way, did you read my question regarding Tommy? Did you checked with Froggies? Thank you.
4. As to concrete buildings and personal opinion. We have repeater guests who only want those rooms.
5. Marketing and prices. I did try to explain, but it comes to "deaf mans ears".
6. Guides & boats. Thank you for not counting me as a guide. I am not. When I dive, I do it for myself and enjoy, my job is manager. As for guides, we have 4 guides based in Bangka (aswar still one of them). Elbart, among other guides still come out to Bangka occasionally. As a matter of fact, the last 2 years we have been rotating staff and cross training them in different locations. Boats, we have 3 conatantly based in Bangka (1 brand new/ fiber hull). We have more boats in Manado and Lembeh, so no shortage there.
7. Pygmee Seahorses. Luko, honestly, guest 1 week in Bangka and we "refused" to bring them to as dive site with Pygmee Seahorses. I'm calling BS.
8. Guest (customer as you like to call it) opinion. I value guest and there opinion more then you realize. It's just disapointing that you are trying to shut me up, using that card. You choose to go in discussion, so I have a right to answer.
This is where I do not accept your remark, would keep a lower profile and listen to client if I were you.
Who I am?
This is where you need to read and understand what I wrote. "Who are you to .... " and "Who are you", are not the same.
I know who you are and what you do and believe me I value your opinion on many treads.
My point is who are you to comment and or judge a person you only know for 1 or 2 weeks a year? See the difference?

Happy Diving

Ahh I can't help to say one thing. ABSOLUTELY we will judge performance (not necessarily the person) based on a one or two week stay. Whilst I understand not everyone can perform at their best the whole time, this can make or break a trip. The advantage of forums like this is that you can start to evaluate if it is one off or a trend and make decisions on future visits based on this.

As an example, one resort I stayed at last year I would not have returned to if the dive manager stayed in place - despite the great boats, guides, incredible diving etc. it wasn't worth the pain. I gave that feedback to the owners at the time and was advised to watch this space. Sure enough he has now left, and I would happily return.

Yes it's only a week or two visibility, but it's my precious time and my precious money (and a lot of it) and that was sufficient time to make an assessment.

Hi Luko,

Like I feared, this start turning into a mud fight (he said, she said), so I'll keep this short.

1. You never asked questions. Maybe the only one as to why a bule manager. That's a company decision and as I tried to explain you, there's more logistics so company choose to go with an expat.
2. I wanted precise examples of what? Where do I fiddle with answers?
3. Tommy. Yes, in my first reply, I said he was the cook. I checked my facts (witch I suggested you to do) and replied in the 2nd post he was working frontdesk and sometimes in Bangka. Does that make sense now? Frontdesk is indeed in Manado, but our staff rotates (more logistics) and sometimes he was on Bangka. He happend to be on Bangka while you were there. By the way, did you read my question regarding Tommy? Did you checked with Froggies? Thank you.
4. As to concrete buildings and personal opinion. We have repeater guests who only want those rooms.
5. Marketing and prices. I did try to explain, but it comes to "deaf mans ears".
6. Guides & boats. Thank you for not counting me as a guide. I am not. When I dive, I do it for myself and enjoy, my job is manager. As for guides, we have 4 guides based in Bangka (aswar still one of them). Elbart, among other guides still come out to Bangka occasionally. As a matter of fact, the last 2 years we have been rotating staff and cross training them in different locations. Boats, we have 3 conatantly based in Bangka (1 brand new/ fiber hull). We have more boats in Manado and Lembeh, so no shortage there.
7. Pygmee Seahorses. Luko, honestly, guest 1 week in Bangka and we "refused" to bring them to as dive site with Pygmee Seahorses. I'm calling BS.
8. Guest (customer as you like to call it) opinion. I value guest and there opinion more then you realize. It's just disapointing that you are trying to shut me up, using that card. You choose to go in discussion, so I have a right to answer.

This is where you need to read and understand what I wrote. "Who are you to .... " and "Who are you", are not the same.
I know who you are and what you do and believe me I value your opinion on many treads.
My point is who are you to comment and or judge a person you only know for 1 or 2 weeks a year? See the difference?

Happy Diving

Oli4,

I am wondering how do you created the ******** stories about tommy and froggies? its getting interested, do you know the stories about froggies and him ? please dont do that , you can get big problem man...

peace...

Oli4,

if you know less, talk less but if you know less and tall big, you will face to the problem

Tommy was working frontdesk and indeed he spend time on Bangka. When you were here, indeed you noticed him doing alot of stuff witch could be discribed as "manager" job. At that point, Murex didn't had a Bangka Manager.
As for Bunaken Froggie's and the reason why he got kicked out of Murex, why don't you call your friend Christiane and get the story? Let me know if after you want to discus Tommy any further.

Oli, someone who advises other people to "get their facts straight" should make sure he gets them right, too. What you are saying here about Tommy is absolutely ridiculous. Why don't you make an effort to find out what the real story is? Tommy has never been kicked out of Murex. He had decided to move on and now runs a successful business elsewhere in Indonesia. Murex tried to keep him, and when they couldn't they even arranged a farewell party for him. Doesn't sound like "kicked out", right? Funny how much af a problem you seem to have with someone whom you don't even know personally.

Secondly, sure you can ask Christiane about Tommy. Or you ask almost anyone else in the North Sulawesi dive community and try to find out the facts.

Sorry, this is just poor.

Last edited:
I'll say this about Murex Bangka, I intend to be a repeater and will do my very best to get back into an ugly duplex room. Yes, it would be nice if the duplex was somehow as quaint and romantic looking as the other units but I'll go for overall comfort instead.
Oli, food is really disappointing. Very much hoping there will be improvement when I get back.
Luko, I was there last February and was shown lots of pygmy seahorses including the more rare pontohy<-- on more than one occasion, so just not sure what that's all about wih your friends.

Thanks chillyincanada, would be great to see you again. As for the food, we do have a new chef and have introduced new recipies. As for other Chefs, some have started going to Lembeh for cross training also. It's a work progress and we really do appriciate any guests feedback.
Cheers
Oli4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom