Best bang for the buck wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a muscular build, especially chest, arms and shoulders. When I got my rental for cert class I had to get a XXXL because the arms and shoulder area were ridiculously tight on the smaller sizes even though I typically where a large or XL shirt. I had another rental that was XXL and it fit fine, I was comfortable… but what exactly am I looking for in an ideal fit?
An ideal fit would be everything skin tight but not squeezing you and no baggy spots.
So if you’re muscular with an above average arm and chest/back size to your waist size, and larger legs and calves than what the average suit provides then you need a custom suit.
I have the exact same problem, although at 59 maybe not as much as when I was younger and lifting a lot.
With the thinner suits (3-5 mil) this problem is not as pronounced as with 7mm or thicker because you can stretch into a smaller suit and still as “stuffed in” like you would be in a 7 mil.
Another option you might consider is to look at freediving suits. They are generally cut for young fit athletic body types and are usually two piece john/jacket with attached hoods on the coat. Freedivers as a rule tend to be in better shape than fat old bubble blowers.
Freediving suits are the warmest wetsuits available but they are also what they call “skin-in”. That means it’s open cell raw neoprene on the inside and they need to be lubed up to get in using a combo of half hair conditioner and half water in a spray bottle. A bit of a pain but the open cell neoprene becomes like a second skin on your body and gets the neoprene right to your skin keeping cold water out, unlike nylon fabric lined suits that have a fabric layer between you and the neoprene that holds a layer of water and keeps you cooler.

what exactly am I looking for in an ideal fit?
Hi @thomasj1107,

A great fitting suit does not feel constrictive, and allows you to move around easily. It is just loose enough to let a little bit of water in at first, which your body will warm up., then the suit holds that water against your skin for the duration of your dive with little or none of the cold outside water flushing in.

To find that great fit, I would suggest you get your measurements, then compare them to whatever suits you are interested in. If all of your measurements are within an inch of the suit measurements, you should have a good fit. If you can't easily find the great fit, just get a custom-fit suit and it will fit you for sure.

Hope that helps,
Derek & JMJ

IMO, the best bang for the buck wetsuit right now is the Henderson AquaLock. It is not a cheap suit, but Henderson has "fixed" the 4 most common wetsuit problems with it. I manage westuit ordering for staff and volunteer divers at a public aquarium. I have been doing this for about 10 years. In that time, wetsuits fail for 4 typical reasons - neck wear, zipper issues, knees wearing out, and seams fraying. This has been true accross brands with some models fixing one or two of these, but still failing on the others. When Henderson introduced the AquaLock they fixed all 4 of these issues. I have been diving mine for the last 3 years and have over 300 dives on it (would have been more but I also have been testing some other suits). The only flaws that it has after that use are a small, round patch that covers the end of a seam on the inside is loose and there are a few tiny cracks in the seam tape on the inside upper thigh.

Whether this suits fits you is a seperate issue. If a suit doesn't fit well, it doesn't matter how durable it is...

YMMV,

Jackie

Reactions: Dan
I have a couple of Hendersons, but the best bang for buck comes from the Triathlon XTERRA suit I own. Some ridges on the forearm are the only discernible difference and I have been diving in it. After Tri season they go on sale around 60% off.

IMO, the best bang for the buck wetsuit right now is the Henderson AquaLock. It is not a cheap suit, but Henderson has "fixed" the 4 most common wetsuit problems with it. I manage westuit ordering for staff and volunteer divers at a public aquarium.

YMMV,

Jackie
Would you put the Aqualock above or below the Thermoprene Pro semi-dry? I'm trying to find a good suit for the PNW and I like to dive wet for some reason.

Would you put the Aqualock above or below the Thermoprene Pro semi-dry? I'm trying to find a good suit for the PNW and I like to dive wet for some reason.
It is funny that you asked that - we have discontinued buying semi-drys and now put our cold water divers in an AquaLock 7mm with the Aqualock bibbed hood and gloves. Our coldest water is in the low 50s, but our divers are frequently doing long dives where they don't move around much so it seems colder. The Aqualocks are more durable and more versatile thn the semi-drys. Our divers far prefer them to the semi-drys. They are just overall more comfortable. You don't get the "Michelin Man" feeling like you do in a semi-dry. I cannot comment on how the AquaLock would perform in colder water (40s) from experience, but my guess would be that it would still feel as warm as a semidry.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I would assume that don/doff would be easier as well. If I do end up needing a little more core warmth a vest would be easy enough to add.

wanting to just get good value/good quality.
What to look for in a wetsuit. A vertical zip will outlast a horizontal zip. Zips on openings allows ease of entry. Openings should have trimmings to stop tears. Use a freezer bag over your limbs when slipping into your wetsuit. Prevents rips. Lining inside helps it to dry quicker and is comfortable on the skin.

Just bought the Waterproof W7 5mm Semidry. Fits me like a glove but yet to get it wet. Should be very soon. Waterproof have a lot of size chart ranges over other makers I have checked out. I have a Scubapro
Everflex but lost 10kg since getting it 3 years ago and even with a hooded vest underneath it seems to get a lot of water in it. Maybe too stretchy now. Will report after trying my new suit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom