Best bang for the buck wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
What brands offer the best bang for the buck for wetsuits? Not necessarily the cheapest, wanting to just get good value/good quality. Not the lowest end but not the highest end. I am going to look at both used stuff to see what I can find as well as new.

Thanks!

What water temps? Mostly east coast of Florida and the keys but will also be diving some springs, NC coast from time to time
How thick do you need? 3-5mm, if I dive anything I need colder for I’ll rent something thicker
What style cut do you want? Too new to know I guess
Do you need a hood? No
How deep will you be going? 20-100

Hendersons are good for the price. Scuba pro will be a bit more expensive but they’re fantastic, most wetsuits these days will do what you need them to, just stay away from the cheapo ones. What’s your body type/build?

The key is fit. A cheap wetsuit that fits properly is better and a better bang for the buck than an expensive one that doesn't fit.

Custom is definitely nice, if a dove wetsuits I would go custom but I rarely wear a wetsuit unless I'm in the pool.

What water temps? Mostly east coast of Florida and the keys but will also be diving some springs, NC coast from time to time
How thick do you need? 3-5mm, if I dive anything I need colder for I’ll rent something thicker
What style cut do you want? Too new to know I guess
Do you need a hood? No
How deep will you be going? 20-100
Next question.
What body type are you?
Tall and thin?
Short and wide?
In between?
Muscular?
Not overly muscular, regular build?
Most off the rack suits will be centered around an average built person that is more or less straight up and down, not fat, not skinny, not muscular with pronounced size on arms legs and chest with skinny waist, etc. in other words just a straight block.
However, some companies tend to tailor their suits more towards a certain body type. For instance, I have a Pinnacle suit and it’s designed more for tall skinny people, whereas some other off that rack suits tend to be cut more for the average “American” body type of larger waist, not much definition in the calf to ankle area (just straight), and not much taper in the chest to waist measurement, average size arms. They also tend to run shorter so not good for tall skinny people.
We would need to know more about your body type to be able to recommend a brand since there is a lot of variance with how each one tailors their suits according to the market they’re targeting.
If you really want a perfect fit then you either have to be the exact body type these companies are fitting their suits to, or you go to JMJ and get a custom.

I've been happy with my Neosports -- I have a 5mm and a 3/2mm. Neosport is made by Henderson.

Next question.
What body type are you?
Tall and thin?
Short and wide?
In between?
Muscular?
Not overly muscular, regular build?
Most off the rack suits will be centered around an average built person that is more or less straight up and down, not fat, not skinny, not muscular with pronounced size on arms legs and chest with skinny waist, etc. in other words just a straight block.
However, some companies tend to tailor their suits more towards a certain body type. For instance, I have a Pinnacle suit and it’s designed more for tall skinny people, whereas some other off that rack suits tend to be cut more for the average “American” body type of larger waist, not much definition in the calf to ankle area (just straight), and not much taper in the chest to waist measurement, average size arms. They also tend to run shorter so not good for tall skinny people.
We would need to know more about your body type to be able to recommend a brand since there is a lot of variance with how each one tailors their suits according to the market they’re targeting.
If you really want a perfect fit then you either have to be the exact body type these companies are fitting their suits to, or you go to JMJ and get a custom.

I have a muscular build, especially chest, arms and shoulders. When I got my rental for cert class I had to get a XXXL because the arms and shoulder area were ridiculously tight on the smaller sizes even though I typically where a large or XL shirt. I had another rental that was XXL and it fit fine, I was comfortable… but what exactly am I looking for in an ideal fit?

Back
Top Bottom