Best bang for the buck wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally done a few dives in my new Waterproof D7 and love it. Very comfy, easy to get on and off. Lightweight and most important no water flushing through. Soooooo Happy. :yeahbaby:

Yes a $3,800 drysuit is dryer and warmer then a wetsuit

Hi @loady

All JMJs are custom-fit to your measurements; for that reason alone they are quite different than any stock sized suits. For more about why this matters, please see The advantages of a custom fit wetsuit: warmth and comfort - JMJ Wetsuits

If you are in the market for a wetsuit feel free to give us a call at 310-212-3040.

Thanks,
Derek & JMJ
I agree, fit and thickness of neoprene are key. They other element to warmth is longevity and compressibility of neoprene over time and number of dives. The only company that was claiming their neoprene is compression resistant is Wetwear. Henderson wouldn’t tell me the make and model of their neoprene. I think at the scuba show JMJ said they use various brands/ makes and models of neoprene. Is that correct or what compression resistant neoprene do you use? Thanks

The only company that was claiming their neoprene is compression resistant is Wetwear
I don't know whether or not you posed your question to JMJ, but they certainly use compression-resistant neoprene. Please note it's mentioned at Wetsuit materials - JMJ Wetsuits

I think at the scuba show JMJ said they use various brands/ makes and models of neoprene. Is that correct or what compression resistant neoprene do you use?
That is correct; JMJ does use different types of neoprene, with a focus on using the material(s) that work best for the individual customer and the intended use. They have many years of experience, know their materials, and can source many different types of neoprene.

Hope that helps clarify things for you @loady
Derek & JMJ

Why do you write They? You are their employee , rep or partner , owner right? None of these companies will reveal the actual make brand and model neoprene. Wet wear said it used to be rubatex something . Henderson won’t reveal any actual info. Sales talking not engineering or research and development

Why do you write They?
I wrote "They" because I don't make the wetsuits nor do I source the material.

Sales talking not engineering or research and development
As mentioned in my SB bio here, I dive JMJ wetsuits, and work with JMJ on web stuff. I do contribute feedback to "R&D".

None of these companies will reveal the actual make brand and model neoprene.
If you'd like to know more about what material is used in which JMJ wetsuit, please feel free to call the shop at 310-212-3040. Let them know which suit you're interested in and they can give you more information about suit options and what materials are used.

Otherwise good luck with the rest of your quest for information,
Derek

I’ve had several custom suits made in the past and I can tell you that there are many types of neoprene to choose from. When you buy a rack suit you get whatever neoprene they choose to use and that’s it, either it works for your intended use or it doesn’t. First off, the big name companies don’t make their own neoprene, they source it.
There’s neoprene from China, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, and I’m sure other places. Rubatex used to be a USA company but as far as I know the original stuff is long gone, and I ‘heard’ that they sold to another company which tried to continue the legacy but were restricted on the type of glue they were able use to attach the nylon to the rubber which was a water based glue instead of the solvent based glue and it wasn’t holding up.
I’m sure environmental restrictions are one big reason why very little or no neoprene is manufactured in this country anymore.
With the half dozen or more current companies making neoprene, they all have a range of densities, blends, linings, etc. available so it really depends on what you need and what type of diving you do that will determine what the suit is made out of. This choice is really only available when you order a custom suit. When you buy a rack suit you may have no idea what the material actually is and what the characteristics are of the specific material.
When I was ordering suits I was specifying for commercial use (urchin harvesting) so the material was quite dense and tough. The cut of the suit and special accessories was also intended for that purpose.

MAKO is upfront about the neoprene we use in our men's and women's freedive suits.

Yamamoto of Japan neoprene material is regarded as the highest quality wetsuit material in the world.

Our wetsuits are certified by Tomizo Yamamoto (President of YAMAMOTO Corporation) and myself (Dano Krahling, President of MAKO Spearguns) to be Genuine YAMAMOTO Neoprene.

Genuine YAMAMOTO Neoprene Certificate
In addition to using the absolute best Yamamoto Neoprene, the Yamamoto outer material offers 30 percent more stretch than any other outer material available. We call it Yamamoto "Mega Stretch" and it takes wetsuit technology to a whole new level.

Serious freedivers are especially quick to recognize the increased lung capacity this material provides. Increased lung capacity means increased dive time and peak performance.

The new MAKO 3D Reef Camo wetsuit includes the following features:

• 100% Genuine Yamamoto #39 Neoprene: The finest neoprene material in the world.
  • Yamamoto Mega Stretch outer material: The stretchiest material available, proven to increase breath hold times.
  • Selectable Bottoms: High Waist or Farmer Johns - your choice.
  • Integrated Ergonomic Hood: Ensures maximum warmth.
  • Knee Pads: Real padded material sewn on (not a thin piece of glued on rubber).
  • Chest loading pad: Real padded material sewn on (not a thin piece of glued on rubber).
  • Knife Pocket: This is a huge safety feature that all suits must have!
  • Ergonomic Face Seal: Maximizes comfort and keeps cold water out.
  • Wrist and Ankle Cuffs: Another added feature that keeps cold water out.
  • Beaver Tail: With Durable snaps
  • Thicknesses: Available in mens & women's 3mm, 5mm and 7mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom