Best bang for buck 3mm full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the best wetsuit is the one that keeps you warm and is comfortable; fit is critical to both and neither the brand nor the price will guarantee a good fit.

This is what matters most.

I've only had one MTM wetsuit about 20 years ago and it worked well, but neoprene doesn't last forever.

I would never purchase a wetsuit online, for me it's the fit first that is most important.

I'm also on the same page as @Jim Lapenta where multiple dives over multiple days requires a bit of advance planning.

Two dives a day with a 3mm in 26C is fine maximum two days, bit over three or four days I'm using a 5mm.

Completely agree with your post @Searcaigh, and just to clarify, it is possible to buy a custom-fit suit online =)
When I bought my custom dry suit back in the aughts, I printed out the measuring instructions, took them to a tailor and paid him to do the measurements. It wasn't very expensive, maybe $30?

This is what matters most.

I've only had one MTM wetsuit about 20 years ago and it worked well, but neoprene doesn't last forever.

I would never purchase a wetsuit online, for me it's the fit first that is most important.

I'm also on the same page as @Jim Lapenta where multiple dives over multiple days requires a bit of advance planning.

Two dives a day with a 3mm in 26C is fine maximum two days, bit over three or four days I'm using a 5mm.

I'm good with my 3mm at that temp. As the dives and the days go by, I start adding items. :)

First, a beanie
Then a chill guard
Then an actual hood
Then a Sharkskin

And that works great as long as water doesn't get much below 22c.

But last time I was diving in Bali, while all of that worked, I'll be taking my 5mm next trip, plus my hood, plus my chill guard, plus my Sharkskin. Brrrrrr worth it though to see the molamola

@JMJ Wetsuits Tell us about your wetsuits. I looked over the website and found it interesting but no manufacturing details. Perhaps I missed it, but fond no information on:
Type/source of rubber (Rubatex, Yama, etc.)
Stitching (blind or flat lock-other)
Taped/sealed seams

Anything else.

TIA

Couv

Best bang for your buck? Buy used.

My 3mm is an Aqua Lung Bali Hydroflex , every wetsuit I buy has to be custom fitted, in the past I would have one made to measure from start to finish ,expensive.
Now I buy off the rack and have I guy I know well [been doing it for 30+ years] make it fit me.
The stuff wetsuits are made of now is fantastic , the $ to fit well is worth every penny.

@JMJ Wetsuits Tell us about your wetsuits. I looked over the website and found it interesting but no manufacturing details. Perhaps I missed it, but fond no information on:
Type/source of rubber (Rubatex, Yama, etc.)
Stitching (blind or flat lock-other)
Taped/sealed seams

Anything else.

TIA

Couv
Hi @Couv,

Thanks for the post, and first off nice icon - Aqualung is an old favorite of mine.

Jon, Martha and Jeff (JMJ) and the team have been making suits for a long time (see About JMJ) and they can make just about any suit you're after. The styles so far shown on the website are just the most popular.

We can source materials from a number of places and are not exclusive to any supplier. In general we use what we find to be the best materials for the job given the requirements. As you may know, new sheets of Rubatex are pretty hard to find these days, but regardless, if you need something specific just call the shop to discuss: 310-212-3040. Likewise with stitching, we can do flatlocked suits but as mentioned on the individual suit pages on the website, we offer glued & blindstitched seams as we've found this to be the best approach. Note that we also do repairs on all brands, so we have a really good idea of what construction lasts and what doesn't.

What else? Well firstly since the OP asked about best bang for the buck, I'll say that JMJs are built extremely well and last for a long time. When shopping, keep in mind that a single JMJ might outlast 2-3 other suits. I think you'll hear the same from anybody who has owned one. Personally, I bought my first JMJ many years ago and it had over four hundred ocean dives on it and was still in good shape when I retired it.

In short I'd offer that the main advantages of a JMJ are:
Custom fit for maximum warmth and comfort
Expert craftsmanship and warranty
Tried and true styles that work and have kept divers warm and comfortable for many years
Local repairs done in our factory in Torrance
Made in California

If I can provide any more details please feel free to ask.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Derek & JMJ

Many people don't understand that core temp loss is cumulative.
My GF took a drysuit to Turks and Caicos for a liveaboard. The first day a few people laughed. At the end of the week after 18-20 dives they were not laughing. They were shivering with teeth chattering.
I am unable to fathom this - so you saying that even if one were to get and stay warm the rest of the day out of the water the core body temps will not recover by the next morning… and over several days? Never knew this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom