Best bang for buck 3mm full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sddiver44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking for a full 3mm suit for a trip to Bonair, I am kinda looking at a Cressi morea and the pinnacle venture. Are these suits just as good for a budget friendly suit, or is it really worth spending twice as much for some of the higher dollars on the market. Any other suit recommendations?

I won’t use this suit a lot, mostly for warm water trips maybe 1 trip a year.

I’ve seen a lot of people use Akona, too.

I have a pinnacle cruiser 3mm that I bought on clearance from a LDS, and a really expensive henderson aqualock 3mm that i bought because it fits perfectly.
When it comes to 3mm wetsuits, i get cold in cheap or expensive ones :) at 82 degrees i'm adding a layer (e.g. lavacore) and below that, i'm going to 5mm. I do think the more expensive 5mms are warmer than the cheap ones, but for 3mm i feel like it's all the same more or less.
just my 2c.
but, fit is more important than quick dry linings and such, which are more just nice-to-have.

I had a Pinnacle 3 mil that fell apart after a few years. When it was time for a new 3 mil I went with a WetWear custom. It was not inexpensive but the neoprene used doesn't compress like that used in other suits. My 3mil is as a warm as some 5 mils that I've used and after 8 years, still looks much as it did new.
$600 for a 3 mil may seem crazy to some, but given how this has held up and the fact that I'll likely never need to buy another 3 mil, it's worth it.

the video showing compression in a chamber of various neoprene samples at the wetwear website was interesting.
what's the lowest temperature that you will dive a 3mm?
82-84. But I can do multiple dives over multiple days in it. That's the kicker. I took my 5 mil to Bonaire before I got the 3 mil. Anything under 74 or so I'm diving dry.
Many people don't understand that core temp loss is cumulative.
My GF took a drysuit to Turks and Caicos for a liveaboard. The first day a few people laughed. At the end of the week after 18-20 dives they were not laughing. They were shivering with teeth chattering.

I was diving a BARE Velocity 3mm before I upgraded to a BARE Velocity 5mm.

3mm was fine, but due to a medical condition I needed the support of the thicker suit.

the fact that I'll likely never need to buy another 3 mil

I hope that you get to live and dive for many decades to come and wearout countless suits :)

I own a bare 3/3 with the zipper ankles. Great for scuba, not so good for waterskiing. But great overall suit.

In 72-80⁰ water i use my Henderson Thermoprene 5 mil. Really was perfect for the 27 dives i did on the Bahamas Aggressor in December

Back
Top Bottom