Best bang for buck 3mm full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep 6 had a 3mm full suit that I use. Pretty happy with it. Have not found anything better.
But I don't think they offer them anymore.
I have one of these too, but last I looked they aren't available anymore.

82-84. But I can do multiple dives over multiple days in it. That's the kicker. I took my 5 mil to Bonaire before I got the 3 mil. Anything under 74 or so I'm diving dry.
ok, you and i are on the same page with that. was thinking maybe the advantage of the custom / expensive 3mm would be more meaningful for someone who wore it in colder temps, but sounds like it's more about the durability.

My experience with 2 wetwear suits (my buddy and me) was different. The seams were not sealed, so we did not find our 5 mil suits to be any warmer than our cheaper 3 mil suits with sealed seams. We sealed the seams ourselves, but somehow, we still haven't been super impressed with the suits.

Also, the customer service wasn't great. My buddy ordered a spine pad in her suit. She was charged for the pad. It was delivered without one. We contacted wetwear multiple times to rectify the problem. They never responded.

I bought a Bare 3/2 several years ago and it is still doing its job despite looking like it needs to be recycled.

But I think more emphasis needs to be placed on fit, rather than $. If you get a suit that fits well, you are ahead of the game and are likely to be happier. But added to this is your overall temperature tolerance. In any case, if you are only diving once a year, why don't you rent?

Over the years, I have purchased three 3mm wetsuits (XS Scuba and Henderson) for my grandson, and they worked fine for the type of diving he was doing, maybe 10 dives a year. The number of wetsuits was a function of him growing out of the last size I bought for him, which I knew going into the buying process. However, none of those wetsuits could compare on any level to my Bare 3mm and 5mm, Elastek and now Reactive wetsuits. So if you are planning to be diving for a long time, and you are not likely to be "growing out" of your wetsuit, I would spend whatever money it takes to find a high quality wetsuit that fits you properly, and will give you many years of service for a 1-2 trip a year diver. Obviously, I am a big fan of Bare wetsuits, and have no vested interest in the brand.

I have a pinnacle cruiser 3mm that I bought on clearance from a LDS, and a really expensive henderson aqualock 3mm that i bought because it fits perfectly.
When it comes to 3mm wetsuits, i get cold in cheap or expensive ones :) at 82 degrees i'm adding a layer (e.g. lavacore) and below that, i'm going to 5mm. I do think the more expensive 5mms are warmer than the cheap ones, but for 3mm i feel like it's all the same more or less.
just my 2c.
but, fit is more important than quick dry linings and such, which are more just nice-to-have.
Have you found the pinnacle sizing chart to be true to fit?

I bought a Bare 3/2 several years ago and it is still doing its job despite looking like it needs to be recycled.

But I think more emphasis needs to be placed on fit, rather than $. If you get a suit that fits well, you are ahead of the game and are likely to be happier. But added to this is your overall temperature tolerance. In any case, if you are only diving once a year, why don't you rent?
Because for the cost to rent for a week just about pays for one, then I’m only swimming in my own urine :)

I’m in the same boat, so to speak. I also need a 3 mm suit for a trip to Bonaire. I wanted an Aqualung, but there are none to be found. I found Cressi Morea and Fast 3 mm full suits on Amazon. I couldn’t get a straight answer from Cressi when I emailed them to ask what was the difference, but the descriptions on their website seem to suggest that the Fast is designed more specifically for diving (therefore, maybe a little warmer) so that’s the one I ordered.

is it really worth spending twice as much for some of the higher dollars on the market. Any other suit recommendations?

I won’t use this suit a lot, mostly for warm water trips maybe 1 trip a year.

Hey Sddiver44,

I think the best wetsuit is the one that keeps you warm and is comfortable; fit is critical to both and neither the brand nor the price will guarantee a good fit. Thickness is part of the equation, but keep in mind you could have a 9mm suit and still get cold if the water is flushing in.

If you can find a stock-sized suit that fits all of your measurements closely, like within an inch or so, then it might be worth looking at, but custom-fit always fits, and is not always the most expensive.

Also, if the suit is only getting used once a year, consider storing it in a bag away from things that are bad for neoprene - see Wetsuit care instructions - JMJ Wetsuits.

Hope that helps and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Derek & JMJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom