Best Baja diving - where and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Me and the wife are casting around for dive trip ideas, probably for the spring of 2013 - current best guess is March, but that's all subject to change. We're pretty experienced divers, and I'm the first to admit we are very spoiled. We know that. We've been thinking about somewhere around Baja, but are just beginning our research. Liveaboards? Dunno. I've always been fascinated by the Socorrros, Revillagigedos, etc. but not sure how practical those are (and exactly what to expect, when the optimal seasons are there, etc.). Around the major resorts around Cabo? I was there almost 30 years ago and loved the place (didn't dive on that trip, but loved the snorkeling - and still remember the epic sunburn I got snorkeling north of town when I came face to face with my first squid). I am sure that the resort areas have been completely transformed, and we're not big fans of mass market tourist destinations (I loved Playa del Carmen in the late 1980s but stopped going back about 5 years ago because of the cruise ships and crowds) - so I'm not sure we would enjoy the big tourist towns now. Further north along the Sea of Cortez? I'm sure there's great stuff to see all over.

If you could go anywhere in/around Baja for 1-2 weeks, somewhere in the February-April timeframe, where would you go, when and why?

I think Loreto is a great dive destination, but I don't dive here february-April. It's just too cold for my taste! That's when I go to Xcalak! Nevertheless there are less wimpy divers who dive here in the winter. Contact Rafael at Dolphin Dive Center for information about that time frame. If you have any problems with response from the website, let me know and I'll give you his phone number.

Unfortunately February to April is not the best time to dive Baja. I have gone to La Paz many times--and am heading to Loreto later this month--September and October are great months to dive in Loreto/La Paz. Water is warm and usually decent visibility--I agree with Elizabeth--head over to the mexican Caribbean in Feb to APril

What is it about the water that makes one write "February to April is not the best time to dive Baja?" If temp is the issue then proper exposure protection is the answer. Or is it something else?

BTW, just went to Loreto for the first time in June and fell in love with the place and am thinking about coming down for a couple of months Jan/Feb timeframe.

You're likely too late for a Socorros liveaboard next spring - some are booking in 2014 already.

Rocio Del Mar is completely sold out on all their Spring 2013 Socorros trips. If you wanted to dive the Midriff Islands in the Sea of Cortez they're doing that in the summers. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Midriff Islands Schedule - Rates

Solmar V only has availability for two different weeks left - neither in March. Solmar V Reservations

Nautilus only goes in January and May - https://www.nautilusbookings.com/index.php?destination=socorro&year=2013

Mr Peter Guy: "What is it about the water that makes one write "February to April is not the best time to dive Baja?"--The answer is-- this is not the "BEST TIME"--why?-- because of visibility and water temp. For many divers --myself included--this is useful information. Not that the winter in Loreto is a bad time for diving---anytime is a good time when you're diving. I love Loreto as well--enjoy your two months of diving in January

Thanks for the input. We certainly do not have to go to Baja from February - April 2012. We could go to Baja at some other time, or we could go somewhere else. We've been to Yucatan many times (usually in the winter months) so were thinking about Baja as a change (my first scuba after certification was in Cozumel back in the mid-1980s...I snorkeled a bit of Baja on the way there - this was back in the day when you could take the big ferry from Cabo San Lucas to Puerta Vallarta - I know a lot of things have changes since then).

The Baja liveaboard trips are an option, but probably not for spring 2012 (they sound like they're all booked up anyway). Due to the complexities of work and vacation schedules, we'll probably cast around for locations for a spring 2012 trip elsewhere (I'm thinking of Belize...). But we'll still have Baja on our list for later.

So let me re-frame my original question, without the date restriction: If you could go anywhere in/around Baja for 1-2 weeks, any time during the year, where would you go, when and why?

Thanks!

I can't tell you why winter/spring isnt the best because I haven't done it! For me its the cold. Ive tried March and May and June and all were 7 mll. That's why I'm suggesting you ask Rafael (Rafa)...he dives all year and can tell you what it's like. Nankivell is right on about September/October being best, often100 feet vis and mid to high 80's temp. I dive here from July through October which is why I'm one of the few expats that doesn't bail for the triple digit summers!

Thanks for the info.

Re temps in the Jan-Feb-March -- what would they be? (I'm quite sure they are warmer than Puget Sound!)

Re visibility -- what range and why is it limited? If there is a lot of plankton, then wouldn't there also be a lot of bigger life feeding on the plankton? And if not plankton degrading the viz, then what is it?

Questions, always questions.

Back
Top Bottom