Best Airline Milage Card???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm about to start building a house. Many of the expenses of the house will be able to be paid on a credit card, so I should be able to get a bunch of free trips.

I was thinking that since I'm going to be spending so much money, I may as well get a card that has the best perks program out there. I already have one visa card that requires cashing in the mileage points at least 21 days in advance. With how much I travel it's a bit of a PITA. Kind of looking for one with no black out periods, is easy to redeem etc...

Name some names of the best cards that work for you...

I have two Citibank MasterCards tied into my AAdvantage card with American Airilines. That's how I paid for my plane ticket to Hawaii.

AAdvantage

I suggest Capital One or if you have Wells Fargo use their Visa. When you use either card there are no black out dates, 25,000 points equals one ticket of up to $500.00. I travel extensively and have struggled with Northwes Air using miles same with United when I lived in Chicago. Good luck

I'm using the Delta Amex but the future is uncertain at DLA right now, if ya didn't know.

We've used a Chase card for the past year and a half or so, for 'normal' houshold expenses, and have racked up a balance of 48k miles. We haven't tried to cash any in yet, so can't give a full endorsement.

Back when I got the card, they seemed to have the best mileage program.

I suggest Capital One

I just ordered that one due to the various airlines that the miles can be used on, AND NO BLACK OUT DATES.

The most important question, for me, is "what is the conversion of each dollar spent for each mile awarded?" I had the Am X Blue for a bit but then was faced with the fact that you received Points that did not equal a mile. I had "assumed" it was 1:1, it was less.

I have AA Citibank, just because I used to fly American more...once I use those miles I will ditch it. They have done sneaky stuff like throw on finance charges, even though it was paid off each mon th, by playing with the billing cycle. Each time I call they say "oh..no problem, we will take that off..." so, I don't like that.

AmX Rewards cards are better than the airline specific cards, I have one.

Also, you might consider a "cash back" card, I just bought the Consumer Reports issue for researching this. In your situation, cash back might be better...buy your own tickets with more flexibility?

Wish the fee was less, I would pay my quarterly taxes with a card...just is not a good deal yet, unless you need the float.

Certain cards off double miles for Home Depot. If you will be ordering building supplies there, I would check that out and see which card(s) that is.

With the hassle of using miles regardless of carrier, I'd suggest a cash back card.

I think Amex Blue offers up to 5% cash back.
https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/loyalty.do?page=bluecash

Cash Back in

...............................Supermarkets......all other Eligible Purchases
................................Gas Stations,
................................Drugstores
Total Annual Purchases
$0 - $6,500................1%.........................0.5%
$6,500.01 or more........5%........................1.5%

OE2X:
I was thinking that since I'm going to be spending so much money, I may as well get a card that has the best perks program out there. I already have one visa card that requires cashing in the mileage points at least 21 days in advance. With how much I travel it's a bit of a PITA. Kind of looking for one with no black out periods, is easy to redeem etc...
The best airline card is the one that you can use. Who flies out of your local airport and goes where you want to go? I live in the Philadelphia area, and so because PHL is a US Airways hub I ended up with a US Airways Mastercard.

I also have an Amex Membership Rewards card, but in terms of getting the most points the fastest on one airline, it's not the most efficient. Amex offers 1 mile for $2 in "normal" purchases, whereas my US Airways offers 1 mile for $1 in "normal" purchases (actually, 1.5 miles for $1 under the promo I signed up for, but I don't see it on the website)

CapitolOne just doesn't seem worth it to me... It's 2 "miles" for every $1, but their redemption policy is:

15,000 Saver (tickets up to $150)
35,000 Standard (tickets from $150.01 to $350)
60,000 Super (tickets from $350.01 to $600)
100x the ticket price Unlimited (tickets more than $600)

These seem quite a bit higher than most airline's milage requirements. For example, I'm looking at a business class ticket to Australia, which under US Airways via Qantas is 105,000 miles. That ticket sells for around $7000 (which is why I'll be going business class only via FF miles), and would seem to be 700,000 Capitol One miles. You also can't combine "real" FF miles with the Capitol One program.

ugh...so confusing!

when did AmX go to 2 dollars = 1 mile?

I wonder if their cars vary, because I think mine is 1:1 and it was just dropped, as it was 2 miles for every dollar. (Rewards Card)

I meant "Money" magazine, not Consumer reports

The piece says "Rewards Cards get less Rewarding"

and it goes on to recommend the HSBC Direct Card, which is cash back 5% drugs, groceries, and gas. 1% on other things.

Anybody have it, or heard of this one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom